What is your opinion of JRVGs?

ASNL77

I only joined this forum a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure you must have discussed this before but I did not you know at at the time! :( .I have read a few negative posts in several threads regarding these japanese reissues.What do you generally think of them? I have only got a few and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the sound.I also like the lp style sleeve. Am I the only one to like these reissues????.

Edited by ASNL77

Okay, the short version: on a board in a galaxy far away (called the Blue Note bulletin board in the galaxy of We Can't Get No Respect) it was revealed by a poster who has a decided audophile bent (and a pugnacious nature) that by reversing the polarity of the playback of most JRVGs (that is changing the + and - leads at just one end of the speaker cables, either the amp or speaker but not both) yields a more natural sound.

I have been doing this for years now when playing back most every JRVG and in fact some of the early domestic RVG cds, and I agree with this. Others have expressed scorn, ambivalence, and other emotional responses.

I've tried this too (I thought it was Lon's suggestion originally) but I have been lazy to change it back.

At any rate, JRVGs by and large tend to be good although there are a few clunkers like Blakey's Night in Tunisia. However, I think the US RVGs are good too so I wouldn't go out and blow a big wad if you can get the US ones.

That's what I find so fascinating about the JRVG and to an extent the RVG series. . .. I really LIKE the Night in Tunisia! And a number of others that get panned, and some of those I like least are sometimes touted as sonic spectaculars!

Ah, the subjective world of audio reproduction! :g

That's what I find so fascinating about the JRVG and to an extent the RVG series. . .. I really LIKE the Night in Tunisia!  And a number of others that get panned, and some of those I like least are sometimes touted as sonic spectaculars!

Ah, the subjective world of audio reproduction! :g

Thanks for your posts.Come on go for it ,what are the ones you don't like so that I don't waste my money.I have Hi Voltage, Green Street and Trompeta Toccata among others and they are fantastic!

Edited by ASNL77

I only have very few. One I particularly like is Parlan - Speakin' MY Piece. But this may have more to do with the music than the "JRVG banner."

I have 'Happy frame of mind' and it is very good too.I am not convinced by Movin and Groovin'.I find it a bit disappointing but again, the sound is impressive.

I really like the mini-LP covers, ASNL, and wish that I could get one for each BN album. When they did Herbie Hancock's "Speak Like A Child", the mini-LP concept even extended to their doing it in gatefold, just like the original. That one is terrific. I also like the sound on it.

Other great-sounding JRVGs (to me) are the first four Jackie McLean albums, Tony Williams' "Spring", and Sonny Clark's "Leapin' And Lopin'". I have played all of these many times, and really like them.

Generally, though, my favorite BN CDs are the "Blue Note Works" series, called TOCJs since the days of that galaxy.

I like most every one that I've heard. I've sortof pledged myself to not get too involved with remastering and sonic issues etc. My system now seems to let me enjoy earlier remasterings more than previous incarnations have and I just sort of have fallen out of the habit of keeping track of what is great and what isn't and I honestly don't want to backpedal my way back there!

That's the way to go, Lon. There are just too many CDs out there in several different versions, and one can't spend all of one's time tabulating what's "best" (note the quotes there). I don't think I've heard very many CDs that really stank. And, don't tell anyone, but the difference between vinyl and CD is not all that huge for me. (Yes, there is a difference, but can you concentrate on it all the time?)

The JRVGs are typically a lot more expensive than the RVGs. In time, I suspect most fo the JRVGs will find their way to US editions, at a lower price.

If they show up here they will be redone. None of the JRVGs that were issued there first have been issued in the US without them being remastered. Now the Japanese are putting out the US versions.

Okay, the short version: on a board in a galaxy far away (called the Blue Note bulletin board in the galaxy of We Can't Get No Respect) it was revealed by a poster who has a decided audophile bent (and a pugnacious nature) that by reversing the polarity of the playback of most JRVGs (that is changing the + and - leads at just one end of the speaker cables, either the amp or speaker but not both) yields a more natural sound.

I have been doing this for years now when playing back most every JRVG and in fact some of the early domestic RVG cds, and I agree with this. Others have expressed scorn, ambivalence, and other emotional responses.

Actually, after extensive research and experimentation, I have discovered that if you place the + speaker wire into your left pocket and then insert the - wire into your mouth, the sound appears to come across in a more lively fashion...

I would have published this discovery earlier but feared the likely reaction from the said pugnacious poster....

-_-

Come on go for it ,what are the ones you don't like so that I don't waste my money.

I wouldn't mind hearing of the "bad ones" as well.

Others have posted the deficiencies of Jackie Mclean, "Demon's Dance" and Jack Wilson, "Easterly Winds," but both sound fine to me.

Most of them are huge improvements over the old masterings.

The JRVGs are typically a lot more expensive than the RVGs.  In time, I suspect most fo the JRVGs will find their way to US editions, at a lower price.

If they show up here they will be redone. None of the JRVGs that were issued there first have been issued in the US without them being remastered. Now the Japanese are putting out the US versions.

I remember we had this discussion some time ago :unsure:

I thought Kevin Bresnahan came across with some info that the US RVGs are from the same masters as the JRVGs. It's also possible I am suffering from severe brain fade :rolleyes: In the interim, until further clarification on this issue is forthcoming, I will defer to Mr. Nessa ;)

In any event, my essential point still holds-- you get more bang for the buck with the RVGs.

I thought  Kevin Bresnahan came across with some info that the US RVGs are from the same masters as the JRVGs.  It's also possible I am suffering from severe brain fade  :rolleyes:  In the interim, until further clarification on this issue is forthcoming, I will defer to Mr. Nessa

Kevin stated a bunch of stuff that was obvious to some of us (he even asked MC to contact me). B-)

In 2001, with a series of Japanese doubles (Monk, Bud, etc) Toshiba began sharing US RVG masterings. I think I had implied that earlier.

edit to correct a typo.

Edited by Chuck Nessa