Charlie Parker, 1952

Dan Gould

I have on its way to me what seems an extraordinarily rare bit of Bird-ology. The info I have is this:

Charlie Parker at Zorthian's Ranch

Charlie Parker, Frank Morgan (as); Don Wilkerson (ts); Amos Trice (p);

Dave Byrant (b); Lawrence Marable (d)

Altadena, CA, 8 July, 1952

Is anyone aware if this has ever been issued before, legitimately or not? Would it be a radio broadcast or a private recording? I checked the first Parker Discography site brought up by Google and could find no info.

But I gotta say, the thought of Bird and Morgan with Don Wilkerson has got me salivating!

OK, I'll 'fess up. There was more info provided than what I shared above:

Disc 1:

1. Scrapple From the Apple

2. Au Privave/Dance of the Infidels

3. Hot House

4. Embraceable you

5. Night in Tunisia

6. How High the Moon/Ornithology

same as above, 28 July, 1952

7. Cool Blues

8. Dixie/Yankee Doodle into Little Willie Leaps

add Chet Baker (tp)

Disc Two

1. Bird Blindfold Test

2. Interview

3. Interview with Leonard Feather

4. Max Roach on Bird

5. Lennie Tristano interview

First three are Bird interviews, and the Tristano is supposed to have extensive commentary about Bird.

I know. I hit the Bird jackpot. B-)

'Embraceable You' and 'Hot House' from those sessions were released on the French bootleg Royal Jazz 'Charlie Parker - More Unissued', vol. 1, a long time ago.

Then the various sides were issued on several of the Philology Bird's Eyes volumes.

I'll be waiting for one of those Spanish labels to issue the full set in proper form :unsure:

I have on its way to me what seems an extraordinarily rare bit of Bird-ology.  The info I have is this:

Charlie Parker at Zorthian's Ranch

Charlie Parker, Frank Morgan (as); Don Wilkerson (ts); Amos Trice (p);

Dave Byrant (b); Lawrence Marable (d)

Altadena, CA, 8 July, 1952

Is anyone aware if this has ever been issued before, legitimately or not?  Would it be a radio broadcast or a private recording?  I checked the first Parker Discography site brought up by Google and could find no info.

But I gotta say, the thought of Bird and Morgan with Don Wilkerson has got me salivating!

Here's more information on Zorthian, from his obit last year. he died just last year at 90+. I've been to the ranch - what a wonderful bizarre communal wild place place that is, in the hills, with collections of all sorts of debris and art.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/09/art-karlstrom.php

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/09/art-remembrances.php

Edited by Adam

I'm the guy that digitized and propogated this particular set (you got if from the Jazz Vines group, I assume?). I got my info from the Bregman discography, but now I see that I dropped the July 14th date (same as on the webpage cited) due to a page break and my own inattention. Bregman does not cite any commercial releases, but his book is copyrighted 1993.

I got it on cassette tape as a gift from a friend, a very experienced collector. The sound isn't too good, but hey, it's Bird, right? I think the real value in that pair of cdrs is the interviews, especially the blindfold test.

Why do you guys still deal in vines rather than torrents? No highspeed connection, or some other issue?

Ray,

There are some people who want to do torrents. There are also some who want to do MP3s. Personally, I don't like the idea of leaving the PC/connection open for so long. The primers I've seen for torrent downloads don't seem nearly as simple as people make them out to be. Personally, I have no problem with pouncing on an offering, getting it in a week, making my copy and reoffering and mailing. Just not a big deal to me, so the appeal of torrents isn't very much.

Anyway, I'm not much involved with the group lately. Too much free improv/AG/Brotzman stuff being offered. I don't know why there aren't more straightahead concerts being vined.

I have no idea of what you guys are talking about: torrents and vines? Is all this material on Birds Eyes or is this extra and if so, how do I get a copy?

Here´s the JazzVines Yahoo group, Brad.

Quite a few interesting shows now circulating... though Dan is right, and there´s a lot of free impro/avant-garde/whatever at this moment...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/JazzVines/

I have 80-90 minutes of this stuff.

congradulations, but that's the amount that everybody has.

Not according to the track times in the discography that Medjuck posted above. Those tracks total 75 minutes, give or take, which makes sense considering that it was a single CD of music that Pete B. put together from his friend's gift.

I have 80-90 minutes of this stuff.

congradulations, but that's the amount that everybody has.

Not according to the track times in the discography that Medjuck posted above. Those tracks total 75 minutes, give or take, which makes sense considering that it was a single CD of music that Pete B. put together from his friend's gift.

i have it on a tape, and it's like 80m. so when nessa says 80-90min, and hasn't listened to the tape in years, that could mean 70-90min.

could go to losin's site and add up

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx

Jirayr Zorthian's ranch, Altadena CA

July 8, 1952 (3 items; TT = 19:19)

July 14, 1952 (5 items; TT = 25:49)

July 28, 1952 (5 items; TT = 30:53)

= 76min

anyway, there is only 76min of music available from Jirayr Zorthian's ranch, Altadena CA 1952. end of story.

I think mine came out to about 78 minutes. The cdr I made has all the material listed in the discography, but that's not to say that there might be more material out there unknown to Mr Bregman. There's no way to tell how many generations old the cassette I borrowed is, nor how much was originally recorded. Chuck's tape may be much "closer" to the source.