Myra Melford

B. Goren.

My first exposure to Myra Melford and her music was approximately 5 years ago. I was in NYC and I went to listen to her at the Knitting Factory. She played with her trio and unfortunately I don’t remember who were the bassist and the drummer. I was amazed by her playing and her music. She is very creative and original. There is no doubt in my mind that she was influenced by Cecil Taylor and his music. Since than, I've listened to almost everything she recorded. I like specially her collaboration with Dave Douglas and Marty Ehrlich. Another great player who's working with Myra is Eric Friedlander. Friedlander sounds great on his cello. "Alive in the House of Saints" is one of my favorite trio recordings of the last 20 years.

What do thing about Myra and her music???

Myra_Melford.gif

I am generally a fan of her playing, but must be honest and say that I have yet to warm up to her use of the harmonium. In addition to her playing, I also think she is a verydistinctive composer.

On what discs does she play the harmonium? I don't believe I have heard her other than on piano, so far.

I particularly enjoy her two trio albums on Enemy and the the first two on Hat. I can't say that I feel the same about some of her later recordings which concentrate on composition and don't have the full bodied swing of her earlier recordings which are full of great melodic hooks that catch the ear and of course, with Reggie Nicholson they swing like mad. I've tried the later ones but I'm sorry to say they don't do very much for me.

The following is taken from Melford's website:

"Melford's ongoing search for new sounds and new directions in her music led her to the harmonium, a small hand-pump organ traditionally used in Indian and Pakistani classical and devotional music. Melford was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to study North Indian music on the instrument with Sohanlal Sharma in Calcutta, where she was in residency from September 2000 through May 2001. The fruits of her studies are heard in some of her compositions for her groups The Tent and Be Bread."

I have not heard her most recent recording, Where The Two World's Touch, which is by the group, the Tent, but according to the website she plays both piano and harmonium on the recording.

Most of my exposure to Melford's harmonium playing has been on radio broadcasts of live performances of the Be Bread group. It's a sound I have yet to warm up to. Like JohnS suggested elsewhere, when she uses the harmonium to me the music does not have the same sense of swing that her piano trio and even quintet recordings had. I am still open minded and willing to try to appreciate the harmonium, but for now I much prefer her on piano, where she is a marvel.

Edited by relyles

• 4 months later...

I've just listened to 'Alive in the House of Saints' for the first time, and must admit, I'm a little non-plussed. I do like it when she gets into freer territory - whether in the Taylor-esque passages of improvisation, or the composition of 'Frank Lloyd Wright Goes West...' - but otherwise, it sounds a bit monochromatic to me...The very long, groove-based tunes remind me a bit of 'The Bad Plus' (although I think MM is a clearly superior example of the genre!)

BTW I don't hear that Bad Plus comparison at all.

The Bad Plus and Myra are not playing in the same league.

Oh no - I quite agree - I didn't mean to suggest that. But the same groove-orientated approach. Melford is clearly a far more interesting player than that (maybe ill-advised!) comparison I made suggests. I was just a little frustrated by this CD. Although, as I say, I did really enjoy sections of it! I think I was disappointed having read someplace about a Don Pullen influence etc...

• 2 years later...
Guest Bill Barton

Any opnion on this new release???

51HnEdsEipL._SS500_.jpg

It's superb. There's little question it will make it to my "Best of 2007" list.

In the past I've found some of Ehrlich's playing to be a bit dry, not terribly emotional. This one is changing my mind.

51HnEdsEipL._SS500_.jpg

In the past I've found some of Ehrlich's playing to be a bit dry, not terribly emotional. This one is changing my mind.

Thanks Bill. This CD is already doing his way to my POB.

51HnEdsEipL._SS500_.jpg

i just love it. my kind of stuff.

51HnEdsEipL._SS500_.jpg

i just love it. my kind of stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation Bill. The CD arrived yesterday and I really enjoy it.