AOTW June 19th

Jazz Kat

This is such a beautiful record! I love the long suite! Plus all the other swinging tracks......? This album is the epitome of MJQ. If you really dig MJQ, I think this is the album to start with. Connie's triangle could be more in the background, but it's still a great record.

I love the opener! And Woody N' You! This is a landmark MJQ album. Their first for Atlantic.. right?

B000002I4D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Shouldn't this be June 21st? You should wait until the previous AOTW is finished...

Guy

Guest akanalog

push push is a good background music album. never gets too deep but i guess it is soulful in it's own way. i don't care for country rock and duane allman is on this one, no? but he is ok. i think mann also represents with some jewish tunes or at least one-though he masks it's jewish soundingness pretty well. i guess sort of how he hid his mad jewish name in "herbie mann". i think he was really herbert manfred solomon.

i like this albumn better than mempis underground though i don't really like either of them.

the one overlooked pretty tight herbie mann album is "stone flute". have you heard that one, jazzkat?

[One of the few Herbie Mann albums I enjoyed.

A short list of my favorite Herbie Mann's recordings:

Just Wailin'

Flute Flight

Flute Souffle

Have you listened to any of them???

You can't go wrong with his straight ahead early releases. It's his later releases that can be great or bad, imo, Push Push was my favorite one. London Underground was just to bland.