AOTW May 28 - June 3

felser

The biggest challenge for my when discussing Harper is to properly harness my enthusiasm and avoid hyperbole. I wouldn't make the argument that 'Capra Black' is his best album (though it is excellent, as are all of his albums - there I go). but it was his first, and on Strata-East to boot, so seems like the best vehicle to discuss this magnificent artist and also to again discuss the great Strata-East label and lament the lack of availability of the albums it released. I first heard Harper on the 'Lee Morgan' album (though he had recorded previously with Max Roach and maybe others - I had just gotten into jazz in 1972 and Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse was the first album I bought. I also bought a 2LP set of the best of Herbie Hancock's Blue Note recordings at the same time. Both were attractive because they were 2 LP's for the price of one plus $1. Needless to say, I've never regretted either purchase.), and was blown away by the majesty of his playing and composing (the first released version of "Capra Black" took up an entire LP side. I had never heard anything like it and just kept playing it over and over again).

The next year, the 'Capra Black' album came out on Strata-East. This offered another stirring version of the title track and several other examples of his compostional and improvisational depth ('Sir Gallahad', 'New Breed','Soulfully I Love You/Black Spiritual of Love',and the stirring 'Cry of Hunger', which makes equally strong social and musical statements). The supporting musicians on this album include Elvin Jones, George Cables, Reggie Workman, Julian Priester and Jimmy Owens, but what you come away remembering is Harper. In this period, Harper played in the top groups of the era (Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, Max Roach, Gil Evans, Elvin Jones, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis), and since then has lead his own long standing group and has taught extensively. He still releases a new CD every few years, and they are still marvelous musical statements. My wife and I saw Harper live at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philadelphia ca. 1992, and we were struck both by the great music he and his group produced, and by the dignity he exuded from the stage. Harper is one of a kind, and if you aren't familiar with his work, start anywhere ('Destiny Is Yours' has special significance to me) and dive in deep.

No hyperbole registered here, man--what a great discography!

It's just unfortunate that the majority of this material is no longer commercially available. The Billy Harper fan club/website still sells a few prime cuts, but I'm having trouble tracking down some old gems (MPS's Trying to Make Heaven My Home, for one).

Of the albums I've heard, In Europe has to be my favorite--there's something about those early years (Capra Black included, no?) that's just so exhilarating--touching, soulful, powerful music.

Regrettably I never got hold of a copy of Capra Black, I have only the 1975 LP Black Saint - the first LP on the Italian label named after that album.

I hear those healing qualities. I was looking forward to hear them live with Max Roach's quartet, but by then Odean Pope had replaced him.

He would have been the appropriate challenge for Lee Morgan had he lived on, he was the meat and potatoes in Gil Evans' orchestra. I love his tune Priestess he recorded with Evans.

harpercd7.gif

Edited by mikeweil

Regrettably I never got hold of a copy of Capra Black, I have only the 1975 LP Black Saint - the first LP on the Italian label named after that album.

I hear those healing qualities. I was looking forward to hear them live with Max Roach's quartet, but by then Odean Pope had replaced him.

He would have been the appropriate challenge for Lee Morgan had he lived on, he was the meat and potatoes in Gil Evans' orchestra. I love his tune Priestess he recorded with Evans.

B0000010VE.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(To continue shilling) the version of 'Priestess' on In Europe is stunning. No doubt, though, those Evans treatments were awesome.

Guest akanalog

black saint is one of those albums i want to love but i don't care for it.

i think the problem is either the drumming or the compositions.

except i think harper is a great composer (croquet ballet being one of my favorite jazz tunes).

so i think it is the drumming.

except towards the end of the last track there is an all-too brief tenor and drum duet and i like the drumming. so i think it is that besides croquet i think the other two tunes are weak.

wish i could hear capra black! never tracked down a copy...

is harper on the lodestar? i saw a CD copy of that years ago and wish i had purchased it.

i see harper is on some recent blakey live discs and i am interested. think priester is on them too. interesting combo. 68-ish. i bet the sound quality sucks though.....

i see harper is on some recent blakey live discs and i am interested. think priester is on them too. interesting combo. 68-ish. i bet the sound quality sucks though.....

Sound quality, while not great, isn't that bad, and it's really interesting material. Harper has a feature on "You Don't Know What Love Is" which is pretty wonderful. Only Messengers appearance on recording for Harper, Priester, and Mathews (and Evans, the bass player) as far as I know.

Sound quality, while not great, isn't that bad, and it's really interesting material. Harper has a feature on "You Don't Know What Love Is" which is pretty wonderful. Only Messengers appearance on recording for Harper, Priester, and Mathews (and Evans, the bass player) as far as I know.

-Re: mikeweil--yeah, that's the one.

-I've had that Blakey album for some time... sound quality is pretty poor, but the music is of a fairly high quality. Harper appears in the full-on glory of his early years--really fine stuff (although the music doesn't extend that far beyond that of the early/mid-60's combos).

I've lived with this for thirty plus years. Playing it now it doesn't quite have the surprise factor it had back then but it's pretty damn good. Great tunes, excellent solos, even the voices are fine (except maybe they repeat 'there'll be enough someday a little too often'). But the thing for me is Harper's SOUND. I went on to get most of his records from this period and the sound always hits me from the off. This was my introduction to Harper and probably to Strata East and some of that labels regulars who I came across here for the first time.

Listening to the vinyl now this would certainly benefit from a sonic upgrade, presumably there is a cd issue.

...the surprise factor it had back then...

Oh my god,yes!

I remember the first time I heard the title track. August 1974, when I was moving into the dorm for my first semsester of college. Literally stopped me dead in my tracks, held me mesmerized, and shook my soul like few things have before or since,

At the core of Billy's music is a feeling that life is a blessing, and that life is sacred, That's probably true of all great music (and lots of not-so-great music), but not too often does somebody have the courage and passion to state it so directly and unambiguously. At least not in the "secular" realm, which perhaps raises the question - is Billy Harper's music in the least bit "secular"?

Truthfully, I don't think it is. What, if anything that "means" I don't know. But surely it means something.

Finally got a hold of Capra Black comparatively recently and enjoyed it but since I've been looking so long it didn't quite have the impact I was hoping for...

Love Harper though and pick up anything I see with him on

I love Black Saint and In Europe, the energy and passion, and would love to hear Priestess by the Evans band in a better form than the hissy cassette I have. (they really need to reissue an few of those antilles titles)

Capra Black should be in print too though and I'd upgrade from my copy in a second

At the core of Billy's music is a feeling that life is a blessing, and that life is sacred, That's probably true of all great music (and lots of not-so-great music), but not too often does somebody have the courage and passion to state it so directly and unambiguously. At least not in the "secular" realm, which perhaps raises the question - is Billy Harper's music in the least bit "secular"?

Truthfully, I don't think it is. What, if anything that "means" I don't know. But surely it means something.

Totally totally with you on this, have always felt that, but chose not to dwell on it in the initial post for this to avoid any kneejerk reaction posts to spoil the thread. Some of the answers likely come in Harper's upbringing, if you're familiar with that. Harper's playing, more than anyone's, has always represented the sound of LIFE to me. It's in the compositions, in the solos, and, as pointed out, in the very sound he gets from the instrument. That sound is what grabbed me when I first heard him on the 'Lee Morgan' 2CD set. And he radiates this life, this presence, from the bandstand in his being also.

Relistened to Capra Black this morning and enjoyed it, though it's not my favorite Harper. A pleasure to hear Elvin trying to stir things up on "Sir Galahad". Hadn't noticed that Gene McDaniels was one of the vocalists before this. When he was on the charts with "A Hundred Pounds of Clay", etc., I bet he never thought that he'd be singing on a straight ahead jazz record 12-13 years down the line.

I do have a problem with Billy Harper's recordings. I have 7 of his LPs in my collection (having that many you wouldn't think I'd have a problem), and I enjoy listening to them whenever I play them. The problem is that I feel that all I probably need is one Billy Harper record, and I'd hear pretty much what he has to say. I don't know if anyone else here feels that way.

The problem is that I feel that all I probably need is one Billy Harper record, and I'd hear pretty much what he has to say. I don't know if anyone else here feels that way.

I had a similar feeling, yes. That's why I sold his Denon CD after a couple of years. He is so intense and personal that he needs very peculiar surroundings to sound different.

My wife and I saw Harper live at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philadelphia ca. 1992, and we were struck both by the great music he and his group produced, and by the dignity he exuded from the stage. Harper is one of a kind, and if you aren't familiar with his work, start anywhere ('Destiny Is Yours' has special significance to me) and dive in deep.

I was at that show too. Though I don't remember anything specific about it, I do remember being astonished by his playing that night. Did you see him when he played at a Penn a few weeks ago w/Malachi Thompson's Freebop Band?? He was amazing. I hope they bring him back w/ his own band soon.

My wife and I saw Harper live at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philadelphia ca. 1992, and we were struck both by the great music he and his group produced, and by the dignity he exuded from the stage. Harper is one of a kind, and if you aren't familiar with his work, start anywhere ('Destiny Is Yours' has special significance to me) and dive in deep.

I was at that show too. Though I don't remember anything specific about it, I do remember being astonished by his playing that night. Did you see him when he played at a Penn a few weeks ago w/Malachi Thompson's Freebop Band?? He was amazing. I hope they bring him back w/ his own band soon.

Didn't see that. After one great Phillyissimo outing in November to the Art Museum to see Eric Alexander, I have again fallen totally out of touch with the live music scene here.