Charlie Haden and his Montreal Tapes

B. Goren.

What's your favorite???  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Charlie Haden is one of my most favorite bassist in the jazz history. I think nobody will be surprised if I'll tell you that I prefer his earlier recordings, even as a sideman, over the later ones. His recordings with Ornette Coleman and with Keith Jarrett can't be compared to Beyond The Missouri Sky for example or to The Art of the Song.

Among his recordings as a leader, The Montreal Tapes and the several duets he recorded are my favorite. During the last week I found the time (as you can imagine, between one news report to another...) to listen to all of his Montreal Tapes recordings and I would like to know which one of these recordings is your favorite. My vote goes to Geri Allen & Paul Motian.

Edited by B. Goren.

In truth, my favorite might be the one with Joe Henderson, but I gave the official nod to Don Cherry.

There are other trio recordings with Joe, but precious few with Cherry (and this might be Cherry's only one from the last decade of his years). Thus the Cherry is the most important, IMHO - at least to me.

I voted for Cherry and Blackwell, but in all fairness, it is impossible for me to rule out any of his recordings. I love them all. I really enjoy all his Liberation orchestra projects (esp the one based on the Spanish Civil War). Excellent.

Years ago (1982 or 1983) I saw Charlie Haden leading a quartet in NYC. The band was Haden, Richie Beirach, Michael Brecker and Al Foster. Kind of an odd set of bedfellows, but the music was beautiful. I had seats right in front of the stage.

Al was playing so loud that my friends wanted to leave. I was like "are you fucking kidding me?? I'm not going anywhere!"

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Charlie Haden is one of my most favorite bassist in the jazz history. I think nobody will be surprised if I'll tell you that I prefer his earlier recordings, even as a sideman, over the later ones. His recordings with Ornette Coleman and with Keith Jarrett can't be compared to Beyond The Missouri Sky for example or to The Art of the Song.

Maybe they can't be compared, but they are still great recordings. I love BTMS.

I want to get some of these Montreal tapes. Thanks for the reminder.

When people complain about how loud the music is in a jazz club, they're invariably not into the music at all. Back in '82 or thereabouts, I took a couple of non-jazz friends to the Village Vanguard to check out the latest edition of George Russell and his Orchestra. They began to complain immediately as soon as the music began. I said "see 'ya" and they left on their own soon afterwards. Me, I thought the music was fabulous! Listening to George Russell and his band perform "Ezzthetic" constitutes a highlight of existence.

Hmm, hard to choose! Btw, ECM released one more, the duo with Gismonti!

The first I heard was the Cherry, and maybe that one's still my favourite? But I miss the Gismonti and Rubalcaba ones... Bley, Allen are great, LMO is good as well... but the Henderson strikes me as not that great - doesn't really grab me, and was quite a let-down after the long wait.

I voted for Cherry and Blackwell, but in all fairness, it is impossible for me to rule out any of his recordings. I love them all. I really enjoy all his Liberation orchestra projects (esp the one based on the Spanish Civil War). Excellent.

Years ago (1982 or 1983) I saw Charlie Haden leading a quartet in NYC. The band was Haden, Richie Beirach, Michael Brecker and Al Foster. Kind of an odd set of bedfellows, but the music was beautiful. I had seats right in front of the stage.

Al was playing so loud that my friends wanted to leave. I was like "are you fucking kidding me?? I'm not going anywhere!"

Today is the 70 anniversary of the start of the Spanish civil war,with Francos rising in Morroco, the 19 is the day that the CNT/FAI led the resistance to the Coup in Barcelona, saving it for the Republic. Buenaventura Durruti, please step forward and take a bow!

In June 2000 I had the pleasure to see Charlie Haden. I was in NYC and he played in the Battery Park together with Ornette Coleman and Billy Higgins. Only Don Cherry was missing there. I think it was one of Higgins' last live performances before his health started to rapidly deteriorate.