Brownie the Complete Emarcy Recordings

neveronfriday

I'm looking for some comments on this box set (especially sound quality). I think I might have a chance of picking this up relatively cheap (this would be the EmArcy Nippon Phonogram Co.Ltd.1989 10-CD release).

Thanks for your input.

Cheers!

*ooops* Just noticed that this should've gone into the box thread. Sorry. :wacko:

Edited by deus62

I can't comment on the sound quality vis a vis more recent Japanese reissues of some of this material but this is one of my best pickups. The music is sensational and to have it all in one package is fantastic. It's got all the classics, plus the sensational recordings with Dinah Washington.

Don't hesistate. You'll never regret it.

As Brad points out, this is an amazing assemblage of music.

The sound holds up very well, for early remastering it is quite good, though there are better remasterings of the material out there in the last half a decade or so. At quite an expense however for Verve "Master Editions" and imports from Japan. If you can get a good price for this, you'll not regret having the music to hear and explore.

It also depends if you are only looking for the Brown/Roach Quintet stuff or if you also want the singers sessions, the strings album and the jam sessions.

Not all the quintet sessions are available as domestic remastered CDs. "At Basin Street" and "Brown/Roach" have been reissued in the Verve Master Edition series, but the other albums (Brown/Roach Inc., Study in Brown) are still the same CDs from the late 80's.

Deus, when you get that box, make sure it has the small CD disc that came with the original set. That disc was not listed in the accompanying booklet. It has a wonderful early take by Brown, Rollins and the Roach quintet of 'Flossie Lou'.

FWIW my bonus disk (disk 11) was regular size.

Deus,  when you get that box, make sure it has the small CD disc that came with the original set. That disc was not listed in the accompanying booklet. It has a wonderful early take by Brown, Rollins and the Roach quintet of 'Flossie Lou'.

FWIW my bonus disk (disk 11) was regular size.

Mine, too.

Deus - get it! At that price you can still add one or the other VME disc, if you feel the need. I got mine for about twice the amount you could get it, I did not get any VMEs, sound never bothered me, actually. And this one is worth every cent!

ubu

well deus 62,

I'll offer a conflicting opinion just to confuse you more. First of all, I love this music (most of it- as I explaint below)- so yes you should get it-but the issue is which version. Not sure how much of an audiophile you are, but I think the box, which came out many years ago, definitely has inferior sound to the japanese mini-lp version currently available in 24 bit and probably to the more recent american versions.

I also think that the Brown-Roach stuff (with Harold Land or Sonny Rollins) is the best stuff and also the Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington dates are great.

However, I did not care for the dates with the other vocalists and I think some of the jam session material is a bit on the weak side.

Given the above, I think you could spend the same money for better sound quality but fewer sessions and come out better. Just my two cents!

It's the old dilemma (which I have solved by buying the box ... ).

Still, I often find myself in that old trap of wanting the music and having an audiophile's ears.

Case in point. I love the music on that 24-CD Ellington box I'm selling a copy of (actually have sold) elsewhere. It's just mesmerizing to do the crazy thing and listen to the whole thing in four or five very long sessions. And Ellington is not really one of my faves (woud take too long to explain, so don't flame me, please).

And right in the middle of listening to this fascinating set, some truly awful sound hits your ears. And they cringe.

I have gotten very careful when it comes around to buying vintage stuff, just because some of the mastering is just so bad that one could cry (BTW ... some of the RVG stuff is really not all that good either, sorry).

I also remember (many, many years ago) having an old stereo and playing K-tel records on it, not giving a rat's ass about the sound, just dancing around my room having fun.

The loss of innocence.

Apple from the tree.

That kind of stuff.

Sad.

I also think that the Brown-Roach stuff (with Harold Land or Sonny Rollins) is the best stuff and also the Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington dates are great.

However, I did not care for the dates with the other vocalists and I think some of the jam session material is a bit on the weak side.

(heavily edited)

Could not disagree more about the "other vocalists" part! The sides with Helen Merrill are some of the best vocal jazz I EVER heard!

ubu

However, I  did not care for the dates with the other vocalists and I think some of the jam session material is a bit on the weak side.

(heavily edited)

Could not disagree more about the "other vocalists" part! The sides with Helen Merrill are some of the best vocal jazz I EVER heard!

ubu

Could not disagree more (with skeith) B)

Could not agree more (with king ubu) ^_^

The Merrill-Brown date is one of my desert island discs, for sure!

Oh I'm sure we all understood that Ubu!

It took me a long time to appreciate Helen Merrill, but when I did finally. . . it was akin to falling in love! RCA should (if it doesn't) DEFINITELY add a Merrill to their "Falling in Love With. . . " series if they have any of her material at all!

Edited by jazzbo

By the way, jazzos (here) has some Merrill on sale. Go to their Bargain section to find "Music Makers" and "No Tears... No Goodbies" (both OWL) and the wonderful "Shade of A Difference" and "The Feeling Is Mutual" (Emarcy), for Euro 10.90 each.

Totally off topic, by the way, sorry, but the last two of these CDs are becoming rare, I think.

ubu