Dap-Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

JSngry

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yeah, I mean, I knew it was going to be good and all that, but the whole thing w/the retro packaging and the faux-60s King studio sound and all that other stuff had me thinking in the back of my mind that this was going to be funk-once-removed, if you know what I mean, and in kind of a way it is, although there's not that sense of "skipped a generation or two, trying to get it back now" that turns me off faster than a dog shitting in my picnic basket 5 minutes before lunchtime.

I never feel it as being "clever" or "ironic" or "conceptual" or any of that other post-modern bullshit that make life such a miserable fukkin' bore sometimes. No, this shit is deep, DEEP, funk, and it's real, and it ain't got no other "layers" of subtext to it, not that I can tell anyway, and all I can say is UNH....WICHA BAD SELF, which says it all.

Y'all but this record and tell me what you think. With all the greaseheads and funk dumplins we got on this board, this one oughtta be in damn near everybody's collection.

I'm serious.

How'd you come up with this?

Oh, I'd KNOWN about it for the last year or so. Dusty Groove in particular was always plugging it. But I figured, "eh...retro-funk, it'll be good, but they got it right the first time around" etc. So I blew it off.

But I kept getting sporadice reports form people I trust (some in this very community) that it was a bit better than THAT. I've actually been nibbling at it for about 6 months now. Finally, last week I just said "screw it" and went on ahead and bought it.

I still wasn't expecting what I got, though...

• 2 months later...

Hearing the clips reminded me of a Memphis band called the Fieldstone's. I have one of their songs ("The Fieldstones" on a sampler). I have no idea if the whole album is good, but this track is a real ass-shaker, not unlike say "Think" by Lonnie Smith ... in the groove/ass-shaking sense versus the actual tune sense. Anyway, there this way-tight "Crosseyed and Painless meets Magic Sam" sort of locked-in groove ...

Also on the Dap-Kings label ... more of an instrumental thang ... DG(TB) of course gushes over it but the clips sound VERY funky, albeit in a bowling alley sort of way ...

Edited by Eric

Yea, I'm thinking I'm gonna go. I'm also supposed to go see Hollertronix tonight. They're a DJ team from Philly that's been making a lot of noise. My buddy in NYC got me on the list to it's kind of a no-brainer. I figure I'll do my best to see both. Thing is, there's a great DJ team (Waxploitation) opening up for Sharon Jones too.

So much funk, so little time... B)

Anyway, there is this way-tight "Crosseyed and Painless" meets Magic Sam" sort of locked-in groove ...

Damn.... That sounds brilliant.

Pulled it out ... also think prime Television in a raw blues/funk context that just shouts out "I dare you not to dance to me, mofo" :g

Edited by Eric

Family commitments prevent me from making the FW show, dammit.

You're bummin', dude. I just got back and it was f*cking REE-DIC-U-LOUS!

Seriously people: Rhythm section was out of control. Bass player is my new hero. And one of the guitarists had a damned turban on. I'm totally exhausted and I wasn't even on the floor.

The rest of you in DFW better act like u know tomorrow night because this show was nothing short of amazing!

(Er...sorry Jim.) :w

Well, yeah, I mean, I knew it was going to be good and all that, but the whole thing w/the retro packaging and the faux-60s King studio sound and all that other stuff had me thinking in the back of my mind that this was going to be funk-once-removed, if you know what I mean, and in kind of a way it is, although there's not that sense of "skipped a generation or two, trying to get it back now" that turns me off faster than a dog shitting in my picnic basket 5 minutes before lunchtime.

I never feel it as being "clever" or "ironic" or "conceptual" or any of that other post-modern bullshit that make life such a miserable fukkin' bore sometimes. No, this shit is deep, DEEP, funk, and it's real, and it ain't got no other "layers" of subtext to it, not that I can tell anyway, and all I can say is UNH....WICHA BAD SELF, which says it all.

Y'all but this record and tell me what you think. With all the greaseheads and funk dumplins we got on this board, this one oughtta be in damn near everybody's collection.

I'm serious.

What he said ...

Got it today, have spun it 3 times so far ...

Goooooooooooooood shit!!!

• 7 months later...