vintage TV favorites

Thanks for bringing up F-Troop, Jim! I assumed this was another of the long list of shows I enjoyed as a kid that didn't hold up, but I saw a few episodes a few years ago, and they're funnier now than they were then. I was rolling on the floor!

How could I forget the original Perry Mason? Great stuff, once you figured out it was a detective show, not a courtroom show. The guy that played Paul Drake was the best television detective ever. Talk about a poker face!

Africa-Brass, any Dragnet that involves drugs automatically makes my list of great sitcom moments! The "I drowned my baby because I was high on pot" episode stands out in particular, along with the painted-face acid show. And the one where he debates the Timothy Leary stand-in (but of course gets to write both sides!); amazing!! :g You know, if it wasn't for Jack Webb, I probably wouldn't have wasted all that time and money with drugs in my younger days. He just made them seem so exotic and cool...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Africa-Brass, any Dragnet that involves drugs automatically makes my list of great sitcom moments! The "I drowned my baby because I was high on pot" episode stands out in particular, along with the painted-face acid show. And the one where he debates the Timothy Leary stand-in (but of course gets to write both sides!); amazing!! :g You know, if it wasn't for Jack Webb, I probably wouldn't have wasted all that time and money with drugs in my younger days. He just made them seem so exotic and cool...

Me too!

Jack Webb was so stiff that I thought anything that he was against was something I should be for. I just loved when Webb would say the word Marijuana. It was like he was the biggest expert in the world on the evils of the stuff.

:lol::P:lol:

Jazzmoose, speaking of Perry Mason. I can't believe I too forgot to mention this show. I LOVE that show. I even read many of the books, because I wanted to fill my Perry Mason fix. I love detective fiction to this day. Have you read the "Nameless Detective" series by Bill Pronzoni? They're set in San Francisco. I've read every volume my local libraries have.

:rsmile:

Thanks for bringing up F-Troop, Jim!

No shit, I completely forgot about F-Troop.

TV Land needs to re-do it's program schedule, dump I Love Lucy, and Dick Van Dyke, and insert an hour of F-Troop.

ftroop.jpg

The Munsters is another one I really enjoy.

I can't find it anymore, but I also loved Benny Hill.

Python is classic, of course. Our local PBS station used to run it late at night when I was a kid, followed by a really acerbic, funny British show called Dave Allen at Large:

dave28.jpg

My best friend in junior high & I really dug that show. We always talked about it the next day at school. The religious humor was pretty strong stuff for some people, though.

Jazzmoose, speaking of Perry Mason. I can't believe I too forgot to mention this show. I LOVE that show. I even read many of the books, because I wanted to fill my Perry Mason fix. I love detective fiction to this day. Have you read the "Nameless Detective" series by Bill Pronzoni? They're set in San Francisco. I've read every volume my local libraries have.

:rsmile:

I've never heard of the Nameless Detective; maybe I should give it a try. I love the Mason books; great stuff! (Of course this is coming from someone who thinks Hammett is the king of American letters, so....) ;)

Python is classic, of course. Our local PBS station used to run it late at night when I was a kid, followed by a really acerbic, funny British show called Dave Allen at Large:

dave28.jpg

My best friend in junior high & I really dug that show. We always talked about it the next day at school. The religious humor was pretty strong stuff for some people, though.

Yeah, I think Allen was Catholic and really had it in for the church. He *was* really good. The longer I think about it, the more good TV shows there seem to have been over the years, but somehow I seem to have burnt out on that stuff - or maybe things are worse now. At any rate I hardly watch TV at all nowadays.

I thought Fry and Laurie were pretty good also. The show I did actually end up rolling (literally) around on the floor laughing to was the last ever Faulty Towers. The one with the "great siberian hamster" - Manuel's idea of Basil the rat (the name of the show). This had, on the one hand, said rat - and on the other, a government health inspector. You just knew that, sooner or later, rat and inspector would meet - and the whole interest and tension of the show was just how and when. I think it's absolutely marvellously constructed (in retrospect) - something like a piece of classical music. The denoument was such a combination of funny and painful, I literally couldn't stay on my chair and ended up rolling around on the floor, hitting it repetitively and laughing in my pain.

Only time I've ever experienced anything like that.

Simon Weil

A second to Chuck Nessa's mention of Frank's Place - a great show that deserved a larger audience and a longer run. It featured great music too.

Other favorites: Taxi (Louie was my all time favorite tv character).

The Rockford Files - Anyone remember the episode where Angel's wife divorced him and got custody of his Little Walter 45's as part of the settlement?

Northern Exposure.

If you want to talk about great classic TV, "The Honeymooners" is right up there in the top ten. I've been watching a lot of them on VHS lately and the comedy holds up pretty well. I think its head and shoulders above a lot of the crap that passes for situation comedy today!! Gleason and Carney really were the Greatest!

Amen to that, pal!

Hill Street Blues, Gunsmoke,Mission Impossible,Twilight Zone,Mr ED(yeah I know it was dopey but the horse busted me up especially when I was dopey),Perry Mason(though I would have liked to see him lose at one case),Lost in Space and of course the Alfred Hitchcock Show as well as Rocky and Bullwinkle.These are just a few that come to mind.

• 3 years later...

My wife and I have deliberately lived without cable for several years now, but I tell ya, I feel myself weakening sometimes, particularly whenever I see a TVLand schedule (or TMC, when it comes to movies).

God! How I wish I could live without cable! That's my wife's life's blood, however.

I was born in 1970, so I'm sure we watched the same shows, including Six Million Dollar Man (6 mil sure wouldn't get you far today!), and yes, it was total cheese! BTW, did anyone else watch Jacques Cousteau? Wild Kingdom? National Geographic?

Add in Mission Impossible and the original Star Trek, and you have my childhood TV viewing habits.

Does anyone here have recollection of "The Defenders," from the early 1960s, with E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed (later of "the Brady Bunch")? Not repeated anywhere, not on DVD, but it was considered the best dramatic series of its time, years ahead of anything else in the issues it dealt with.