Debussy Preludes

Guy Berger

Haven't heard Thibaudet. Might be a pretty good choice given other things I've heard from him.

No set has ever displaced Paul Jacobs on Nonesuch for me. Probably none ever will. Passion, grace, humor, and no self-indulgence (despite what the Penguin Guide says). Great liner notes too. It's on two discs, so it's more expensive -- but in the end you'll be glad you spent those few extra bucks.

Somebody is bound to enthuse over Arturo Benedetti-Michelangeli in the Preludes, but I don't get it. Sounded cold and bloodless to me.

Zimerman's 2-disc set is a little indulgent at times, but mostly pretty good. If you must pay for two discs, pay for Jacobs.

Jos van Immerseel, playing the first book on a prime condition 1897 Érard piano, of the type Debussy used, this comes very close to his own recordings.

204892.jpg

Channel Classics CCS 04892

Debussy et son univers sonore. Preludes et Images.

IMMERSEEL, JOS VAN - piano Erard 1897

The search function on the Channel Classics website will lead you to a sound sample in QuickTime format. This is now available as a midprice reissue, I have given it so several friend and they all were amazed. His commentary on Debussy's piano technique and this specific instruments are a great read.

I like BENEDETTI-MICHELANGELI versions.

I like also SAMSON FRANÇOIS, ALDO CICCOLINI & CLAUDIO ARRAU in this repertoire (I don't know JACOBS or ZIMMERMANN and I don't like IMMERSEEL.)

Other recommendation is ALICE ADER on PIANOVOX:

PRELUDES LIVRE I & JEUX (PIANOVOX - distribute worlwide by SONY)

PRELUDES LIVRE II, CHILDREN CORNERS & ELEGIE (PIANOVOX)

But if you want just one version of the PRELUDES, JEAN-YVES THIBAUDET is the one to consider: beautiful playing and very good sound quality.

I've heard the Zimmermann, and his playing conception is brilliant, but I just can't stand the sound of these very brittle and cold modern Steinways he plays on.

There is a new French talent who got rave reviews, and I found his cross-section very well played:

B00004YU9J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg