If you could only buy one of the Vee-Jays

What is your favorite Vee-Jay?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:o:wacko::angry::rmad:

Good grief ! Weren't these two sets supposed to sit in 'Running Low' for a few months and then hit 'Last Chance' near the end of the year when the licence runs out? What the heck happened? In the interest of not missing out on these fine sets I guess its time to hit the magic button and cover my ass on this one... ;)

Well, I've been struck-- yet again-- by "Mosaic fever," transmitted through this Board, the most effective "carrier" of feverish excitement yet devised ;)

Went out and sold a passel of books I decided I no longer needed-- at least, did not need so much as I needed to get the Morgan/Shorter and Kelly/Chambers Mosaics. Pulled the trigger on both. Couldn't stand the possibility of regretting bitterly not getting them. Even though I'm becoming more of a "vinylphile" than ever, I can't resist the lure of the Mosaics. I just treat them as "honorary LPs" :g

So...one less set of each now available.

BTW, when I went to the Mosaic site earlier in the evening, I got some kind of error message. For a while, I thought that the site went down from too many folks rushing in their orders. I got real nervous :eye: But the site came back up later in the evening, so I was able to place the order.

This reminds me of the Mitchell set; once it hit running low, it ran out fairly quickly. Anyone care to guess how long the V-Jay sets will last? I don't expect them to last into June.

This might have been discussed but I'm curious as to whether these two might just be becoming the "rarest" of the Mosaics (aside from early LP sets, of course). If the license prevented Mosaic from going full tilt to 5,000 units, then would a set that has only produced a much lesser number than most be very desirable even if it's contents can be had elsewhere?

And does anyone know what the average production run is on these sets? I believe Kevin had posted that some sets rarely reached halfway beforew they were put out to pasture.

And if DrJ doesn't get a free t-shirt and a snazzy CD opener for this... :wacko:

After ordering the sets and then enquring about the likely timescale of these sets being available, I got the following response from Mosaic about 1 hour ago. Quote:-

"The sets may be available for another few weeks but it is very difficult to

predict.

Regards,

Mosaic Records"

I feel better for ordering these two 'honourary vinyls' B)

This might have been discussed but I'm curious as to whether these two might just be becoming the "rarest" of the Mosaics (aside from early LP sets, of course).

Well, I know we've pretty much come to the conclusion that Mosaic doesn't ship sets strictly in numerical order, but still... My Morgan/Shorter is 1689; the Kelly/Chambers is 1719. There can't be a whole hell of a lot of these puppies out there it would seem...

And a P.S. to John Tapscott: After listening to the first disc of the Chambers/Kelly set, CANCEL MY VOTE!!! I have no idea which of these two sets I would go for if I had to choose... :wacko:

I think I'm gonna spring for the Chambers-Kelly box as I've got almost none of that while I have at least some of the Wayne Shorter sessions from the Morgan-Shorter box.

If anyone's put off by the alternate takes, here's what I counted:

There are 35 alternates on the Morgan-Shorter box and 28 on the Chambers-Kelly (though five of those on the Chambers-Kelly are relatively short alts of "Scotch & Water," so overall it has a lesser percentage of alts than the other one).

Ah, hell, maybe I'll just buy both anyway. I can always sell the damn thing in a few weeks after it's sold out... :g

Ah, I just ordered both.  You guys owe me two hundred bucks!  :g

Shaddup. :P

I spent my $200 a few weeks ago. I'm now forwarding my mortgage and electric bill to DrJ on a monthly basis. I assume he's paying them. I've received no response.

I spent my $200 a few weeks ago. I'm now forwarding my mortgage and electric bill to DrJ on a monthly basis. I assume he's paying them. I've received no response.

See, I rationalize my Mosaic purchases the opposite way. Living in California, whatever I might spend on jazz in a given month is usually such a small fraction of my mortgage that I barely notice it.

At least that's what I tell my wife... :g

maybe Mosaic can do a single box with 12 cd´s on it combining both sets...no doubts anymore

I was thinking Mosaic could re-package both Vee Jays into a single six-disk set, leaving out all the alternate takes. In this way, Mosaic can offer a sort of 'Best Of Vee Jay' box. This will let Mosaic offer a combined set at a lower price. Also, this will let Mosaic not duplicate the OOP individual Vee Jay sets.

Thanks everyone for your input. I know the Morgan/Shorter is the clear favorite of most of you who own both sets. But today I ordered the Kelly/Chambers, for the simple reason that I have nothing under the leadership of these guys in my collection (whereas I have lots of Morgan and Shorter on Blue Note plus the Wayning Moments CD on Koch - excellent BTW).

HOWEVER, the big question is whether or not I will order the Morgan/Shorter when it dwindles down to a precious few. I'm feeling the pull, so it is a distinct possibility.

My "honorary LPs" just arrived: Morgan/Shorter, set #1763, and Chambers/Kelly, set #1790. Has anyone received a 2000# set? Or are these sets going to expire under-2000?

Oh yeah, I'm keeping the box, bubblewrap, receipt, etc. Could be worth something someday :rolleyes:

I'm glad I got them :wub:

I guess the availability of this material from other sources really effected sales. I have had both sets for a couple of years and mine are numbered around 1200. I remember a number of posters raising eyebrows over Mosaic putting this stuff out - and with ALL those alternates. I think I had only the Young Lions disc prior to picking these up so I was glad Mosaic did these. The alternates are not an issue with me either but I'm sure they influenced some potential buyers negatively.

Seems like both of these will end up under 2000. That's a shame because of the artists involved and the quality of both the music and sound..

Last Chance

Uh, has anybody noticed that both sets are now on the "Last Chance" list???

thanks rooster - i just ordered the morgan/shorter (mosaic should give you a commission!) :P

i also ordered the prima/manone for good measure! :g

now maybe i'll get the kelly/chambers for father's day! :w

BTW, I am not sure of the specifics, but the word I was given on why these are getting cut short is that Rhino's agreement with the owners of this Vee Jay material was terminated. Which side initiated the termination wasn't said. I guess Mosaic's deal was with Rhino so when Rhino lost the contract, Mosaic lost the contract too. Sounds complicated! :)

Later,

Kevin

Searching out some varying points of view on the Kelly/Chambers to push me over or keep me on the otherside and posting just a few-

Alternate Takes - :

Two & one half hours.

Harvey Pekar - 'Jazz Times':

Davis' former rhythm section joins with Art Blakey's front line on a somewhat disappointing Kelly quintet date with Morgan and Shorter. Morgan plays too conservatively, and uses his mute too much; he had a far better open horn sound, Shorter's tentative and erratic, and Kelly employs too many cliches.

'Mostly Bland' - Mosaic website:

Pianist Kelly and Bassist "PC" stand at the top of the heap. The "sidemen" on these recordings at times were stunning. However, the entire collection has only four outstanding performances making the collection valuable ONLY to a collector that is trying to appear as a Jazz follower and not a Jazz LISTENER.

Charlie B. - local svengali:

Wynton Kelly?!  That's like havin' god in the band."

Organissimo - after firing up a party bowl:

C'mon man, just a little...don't worry I got visine.