Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

----this--dont have this but i have every arthur lyman and the one w/ buddy collette on flute, & gerald wiggins on organ- WIGGIN OUT (hifijazz)

----abc/paramount: kenny dorham + the jazz prophets, how come i see every other 50s abc paramount routinely incl. jazz, this one is 1,000 on ebay

----dexter/daddy plays the horn.....how come i have every other Bethlehem no problem, this one never

heres another: --warne marsh on MODE......found all the other modes real easy, this one STILL LOOKING

Chewy - These Hi Fi Jazz LPs are nice pressings, the Elmo has promo stamps all over the back and on one of the labels. Administered by Mr Axelrod? I have the Harold Land as well, another nice one.

Now spinning - Hank 'Caddy For Daddy' NY USA stereo

Hank-Mobley-A-Caddy-For-Daddy.jpeg

Another great day, musiwise.

ptah.jpg

The headshell was vibrating like mad on Footlose, without affecting the playing. Any particular reason ? Does it wear-out the cartridge?

I was happy to find relatively inexpensive records in Paris yesterday (my first LP purchase there in 2 years). At the flea market of Saint-Ouen (technically not in Paris, but 5 min from a metro station). The Urbie Green, some brand new OJC, some Barbieri for 7 euros.

http://bird.parkerslegacy.com/dialSPlist/guildedujazz1245a.jpg

Festival du Jazz Moderne (Guilde du Jazz). An interesting hodgepodge of tracks, including a rare Steve Lacy appearance from 1956, "Indian Blanket" by the Joe Puma Quintet. I had been looking for this for awhile, since "Indian Blanket" was the only track from the first ten years of Lacy's recording career that I did not have in physical form.

This is the French version of a Jazztone album called Modern Jazz Festival, but that one must be extremely rare - I see Jazztone albums all the time, but have never come across that one, and I've been looking for many years. This French LP, which I recently found online, is in nice condition.

Okay, Festival du Jazz Moderne (see post above) might have another pretty rare track, this one with John Coltrane. "Strictly Instrumental" is credited to Oscar Pettiford's All-Stars, but it's apparently a leftover track from the Bethlehem Winner's Circle album. If it's ever been on CD, I can't find it. Does anyone know if it's had a CD issue?

Coltrane is not featured, but improvises the first bridge - a fairly complex and intense eight measures.

The Eagle Brass Band (GHB). A New Orleans-style brass band led by Barry Martyn, recorded in London in 1966. The personnel consists of half Brits and half touring New Orleanians. It's not the best N.O. brass band record I have, but it's notable for being the only full-length brass band album with Captain John Handy on alto sax.

24262824ss.jpg

MINGUS QUINTET MEETS CAT ANDERSON. UNIQUE JAZZ U 20 [n.d.]

Rec. live November 05, 1972, JazzFest Berlin, Berlin Philharmonie

Cat Anderson (tp), Joseph Gardner (tp), Hamiet Bluiett (bs), John Foster (p), Charles Mingus (b), Roy Brooks (dr, musical saw)

Edited by optatio

14 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Okay, Festival du Jazz Moderne (see post above) might have another pretty rare track, this one with John Coltrane. "Strictly Instrumental" is credited to Oscar Pettiford's All-Stars, but it's apparently a leftover track from the Bethlehem Winner's Circle album. If it's ever been on CD, I can't find it. Does anyone know if it's had a CD issue?

Coltrane is not featured, but improvises the first bridge - a fairly complex and intense eight measures.

Coincidentally, I just listened to "Winner's Circle" on Coltrane's "Bethlehem Years" CD.  Alas, it doesn't include "Strictly Instrumental".  However the track was a bonus on two Japanese CD issues: COCY 78660 (from 1995) and COCY-80698.

Edited by alankin