• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2008 Collectors' Choice Music CD reissue of Make It With You also included the song "Pieces of Dreams (Little Boy Lost)" (the Oscar-nominated theme from the 1970 movie of the same name), which Lee recorded on June 1, 1970, between the sessions for Bridge Over Troubled Water and the sessions for this album.

Lee had recently turned 50 when she recorded this album. She had also won a Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Female Vocal Performance for "Is That All There Is?" in March 1970.

In a 1983 interview with the magazine Crescendo International, Benny Golson, the arranger of this album, said:

On the other hand — what a delight to work with Peggy Lee. I mean, she’s a real professional. I had an experience with her that I’ve never had with any other artist as the arranger/conductor of the music for a complete recording session (Make It with You on Capitol). Incidentally, at a time when people were all overdubbing the strings, the horns and everything, she insisted on doing the whole date live. The strings, the whole orchestra was there, and she was singing in the room. We did half of it in L.A. and half in New York. She wasn’t there for the mix, and when she heard it, it had been mixed so that the singing was very loud and you could hardly hear the arrangements – the vocal was just wiping the brass and everything. She said: 'The voice is too loud.' They went back in and remixed it, and she went with ‘em this time – that’s the way it should be.

Of course, that was more money she’d have to pay off, for the remixing of the session, before she’d go into profit. I never got over that. I talked to her about it later; I said: "That was really something, Peggy, that you would do that." Yes, Peggy is very musicianly; she writes good lyrics too.[1]

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Horace Silver - The United States of Mind Phase III : All - BN.

Like this one!

What about Phase I and II, I never heard them?

If you like Phase III then you will like the other two I think. Phase 1 is the 'hardest' of the 3 with George Coleman on tenor.

Of course, I speak from experience of listening to the 2CD Conn set, heresy I know..

Johnny Rae Septet - Herbie Mann's African Suite - UA stereo

EXCELLENT Latin jazz/exotica record! Music is almost as great as the cover image!

This was later released under Herbie Mann's name under the title "St. Thomas" on Solid State with ugly cover art.

SEEK OUT THE ORIGINAL!!!

Between these issues, it was issued as a Mann disc in the UAJ series - the ones with the b/w covers like Money Jungle and Three Blind Mice.

Horace Silver - The United States of Mind Phase III : All - BN.

Like this one!

What about Phase I and II, I never heard them?

If you like Phase III then you will like the other two I think. Phase 1 is the 'hardest' of the 3 with George Coleman on tenor.

Of course, I speak from experience of listening to the 2CD Conn set, heresy I know..

Thanks! :)

About the 2CD Conn set, as the younger Holy Vinyl Collector said to the older One. 'Forgive them for they know not what they do' :g

About the 2CD Conn set, as the younger Holy Vinyl Collector said to the older One. 'Forgive them for they know not what they do' :g

It actually sounds quite good.... and it has the cover art..... and it was £5 :w

I did actually come across a copy of Horace's Phase 1 in the bins a few years ago but the picture of the kaftan turned me off. :g