Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

There exists a fine series of vinyl albums from the japanese AUREX JAZZ FESTIVAL from the years 1980 to 1983 . Anybody familiar with that label?

Here is one of those vinyls (all with similar front cover). Sound quality excellent

44849629nn.jpg

44849631kp.jpg

A Sublabel of Toshiba Japan ....

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

There exists a fine series of vinyl albums from the japanese AUREX JAZZ FESTIVAL from the years 1980 to 1983 . Anybody familiar with that label?

Here is one of those vinyls (all with similar front cover). Sound quality excellent

44849629nn.jpg

44849631kp.jpg

Interesting stuff!!! Toshiba Japan always delivers  fine sound 

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

A Sublabel of Toshiba Japan ....

Yes correct. Sometimes with the prefix EMI. Reason of my request was I havent seen Items from these vinyls here in the Forum. Have myself collected all minus 2 vocal edtions.  If there is Interest I can submit and send you the listing from my PARADOX  DB

Thanks for the reply.

W.B.

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

Interesting stuff!!! Toshiba Japan always delivers  fine sound 

Yes indeed!!

Edited by jazzcorner

23 hours ago, Pim said:

96-F12962-8-F47-4-B3-E-8-DC3-EA855-C4491

One of the underrated tenors of the forties/fifties: Wardell Gray.

That shot is one of a sequence of session photos of Wardell by the late Ray Avery. I acquired one of these from Ray himself which he signed but got the date wrong ('61) - it is framed on my wall. I think the trumpeter on the RHS is Conte Candoli so not the same session.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

That shot is one of a sequence of session photos of Wardell by the late Ray Avery. I acquired one of these from Ray himself which he signed but got the date wrong ('61) - it is framed on my wall. I think the trumpeter on the RHS is Conte Candoli so not the same session.

It’s a great photograph and probably the one of Wardell most used on the Internet these days.

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

It’s a great photograph and probably the one of Wardell most used on the Internet these days.

Yeah. I’ve got the feeling that the photo is from a Gene Norman produced session. On the photo I have the trumpeter’s arm is in shot so likely within seconds of the more famous shot. Wardell’s pose is hardly changed. Wish I’d asked Ray for his recollections.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:31 AM, Pim said:

How’s that one? 

Sorry I didn’t reply. The sound is great.  I can’t say I’m the biggest Oscar fan but I enjoyed this one a lot. According to the liner notes this was only the second recording of this trio of Oscar, NHOP and Louis Hayes. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Sorry I didn’t reply. The sound is great.  I can’t say I’m the biggest Oscar fan but I enjoyed this one a lot. According to the liner notes this was only the second recording of this trio of Oscar, NHOP and Louis Hayes. 

Thanks. His records from this era are hit and miss for me so will give this one a try :)