Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Byard Lancaster - Personal Testimony

From the liner notes by Michael Cuscuna...

"The random meanderings of people who can't control their instruments and the endless, boring rhapsodic dribble of the Jarrett school....."

Ouch. Did Keith steal Michael's girlfriend or something? :P

Just finished Baker/Freeman Studio Recordings, Mosaic. Not the best sounding Mosaic I have. Due to masters condition and digital transfert, I know, but it happened I love the sessions.

Any opinions about the original PJ pressings, or later WP reissues, did anybody compared them with Mosaic? Does it might worthing a seach for earlier pressings?

johnny lytle-fast hands

this album has a weird fusion vibe. very subtle. maybe because mervin bronson is on bass. something about the chord progressions maybe and the rhythms don't say jazz to me though it is not really rock. interesting for a later muse album-idris muhammed, mickey tucker are along for the ride.

paul jeffrey-watershed (w. richard davis, jack wilkins, ts monk)...ok. not awesome. fine. i like jeffrey as a saxman. i can see why he would have been good with monk sr.

gene ammons-free again

not feeling it! you might be going in the sell pile, gene. i am sorry to say.

charles earland-smokin'

more late 70s muse entertainment. i like walter perkins on this kind of stuff. these albums all have interesting casts...schitter, george coleman, perkins, bobby durham, etc....though earland can lean on a chord more than i like every now and then.

one could start a library of swinging yet interesting stuff all with $3-$6 muse albums....and then change their name to magnificent goldberg!

Just finished Baker/Freeman Studio Recordings, Mosaic. Not the best sounding Mosaic I have. Due to masters condition and digital transfert, I know, but it happened I love the sessions.

Any opinions about the original PJ pressings, or later WP reissues, did anybody compared them with Mosaic? Does it might worthing a seach for earlier pressings?

No opinions but that particular Mosaic was one of the few of their vinyls on my potential shopping list. Is the sound that bad?

Kenny Drew 'Undercurrent' (Music Matters 45rpm stereo)

Impressive - Hubbard's trumpet sound caught very well, Mobley captured very nicely in the right speaker, very clear sound. 'Undercurrent' must be one of the most all-time under-rated of the whole BN catalogue - great tunes, excellent sequencing, inspired soloists (Hubbard and Mobley at their best). Not to forget Kenny Drew's fine playing.

Bring on the 'Soul Station' !

Edited by sidewinder