What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

gene ammons-free again

not feeling it! you might be going in the sell pile, gene. i am sorry to say.

I seriously urge you to try this one again. In my view, the Bobby Bryant arrangements are much too brittle for Jug

BUT

his solo on the title track is the most powerful solo I've ever heard him play.

charles earland-smokin'

more late 70s muse entertainment. i like walter perkins on this kind of stuff. these albums all have interesting casts...schitter, george coleman, perkins, bobby durham, etc....though earland can lean on a chord more than i like every now and then.

Don't believe the sleeve. This, and "Mama roots" were recorded in about 1969 for the Choice label. We haven't quite, I think, bottomed out what is what with those originals and the reissues on muse, but here's a thread discussing it.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...arland&st=0

one could start a library of swinging yet interesting stuff all with $3-$6 muse albums....and then change their name to magnificent goldberg!

:D

Yeah, you got a real nice bunch of stuff for me!

MG

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished Baker/Freeman Studio Recordings, Mosaic. Not the best sounding Mosaic I have. Due to masters condition and digital transfert, I know, but it happened I love the sessions.

Any opinions about the original PJ pressings, or later WP reissues, did anybody compared them with Mosaic? Does it might worthing a seach for earlier pressings?

No opinions but that particular Mosaic was one of the few of their vinyls on my potential shopping list. Is the sound that bad?

It varies a lot from track to track, MC in the liner notes said about the awful condition of master tapes at PJ, they had to get some tracks from old 78 record. To gather all the recordings of this particular quartet, they used a lot of different sources. There is a digital transfer.

Overall I presume that this is the best form to have all the output of Baker/Freeman quartet togheter. I was asking myself if some early original pressings of part of this stuff could sound better.

Anyway I didn't hear the later CD issues, actually I am not even aware of their existence, so I couldn't really grade the sound of Mosaic.

The music is great IMO, so it worths to investigate for you, if you haven't got these.

Just finished Baker/Freeman Studio Recordings, Mosaic. Not the best sounding Mosaic I have. Due to masters condition and digital transfert, I know, but it happened I love the sessions.

Any opinions about the original PJ pressings, or later WP reissues, did anybody compared them with Mosaic? Does it might worthing a seach for earlier pressings?

No opinions but that particular Mosaic was one of the few of their vinyls on my potential shopping list. Is the sound that bad?

It varies a lot from track to track, MC in the liner notes said about the awful condition of master tapes at PJ, they had to get some tracks from old 78 record. To gather all the recordings of this particular quartet, they used a lot of different sources. There is a digital transfer.

Overall I presume that this is the best form to have all the output of Baker/Freeman quartet togheter. I was asking myself if some early original pressings of part of this stuff could sound better.

Anyway I didn't hear the later CD issues, actually I am not even aware of their existence, so I couldn't really grade the sound of Mosaic.

The music is great IMO, so it worths to investigate for you, if you haven't got these.

Thanks Porcy - looks like I need this set ! (damn..)

I have a few of the early PJ 10" LPs, including PJLP-2, Gerry Mulligan Quartet. From my memory I didn't think the sonics were that spectacular - however you may have more luck on your mono rig. I'll dig it out to check.

Various Artists - Singing preachers and their congregations (1930-1956 - Blues Classics - it's a bit of a hotch-potch, but some very fine stuff!

MG

MG - I find that some of my old LP compilations on Blues Classics, Yazoo, etc. are more enjoyable to listen to than the single artist CDs that are the norm today. Those recordings were originally issued on 78s, and weren't meant to be listened to 20 to 25 tracks at a time. Compilation LPs broke things up and helped to recreate some of that earlier time listening experience.

Edited by paul secor

these albums from dusty groove are in crappy shape!

i am now listening to willis jackson "nothin' butt" and this one is fine but previously don patterson "mellow soul' and "satisfaction!" were debacles for VG, as was jimmy mcgriff's "something to comy by". i am angry.

i was also rocking to groove holmes "onsaya joy" and that album is awesome. so glad i finally own it. though the condition and price from dusty groove was more than the local record store with poorer condition taboot.

also listened to mickey tucker's "triplicity' which was pretty cool. giant steps on organ.

and another johnny lytle muse album with a cheesy cover and john patton on keyboards and some nice george duvivier. and by keyboards i do not mean organ but i also do not mean moog. nothing too exciting.

Various Artists - Singing preachers and their congregations (1930-1956 - Blues Classics - it's a bit of a hotch-potch, but some very fine stuff!

MG

MG - I find that some of my old LP compilations on Blues Classics, Yazoo, etc. are more enjoyable to listen to than the single artist CDs that are the norm today. Those recordings were originally issued on 78s, and weren't meant to be listened to 20 to 25 tracks at a time. Compilation LPs broke things up and helped to recreate some of that earlier time listening experience.

I think that can often be the case. But it depends on how it's put together. This has stuff from all over the place, timewise as well as placewise, and feels a bit jerky to me. Individually the tracks are all great but it just fails as a collection.

Final LP tonight

Professor Herman Stevens - The poet of the Gospel organ plays your favourite hymns - Savoy orig

(Stevens was a big influence on Baby Face Willette and you can sometimes hear it.)

MG

Archives of Jazz Vol.5 - Duke Jordan (AJ Records) distrib. by ALA Records

This is a strange label/cover, but the music is good. The band consists of Jordan on piano, Charlie Rouse on ts, Sonny Cohn on t, Art Taylor on d, and Eddie Kahn on b.

Song titles are

No Problem #1

No Problem #2

No Problem #3

Jazz Vendor

Subway Inn

The Feeling of Love #1

The Feeling of Love #2

The liner notes says it's a soundtrack to a film adaptation of Roger Vadim's Les Laisons Dangereuseses.

Has anyone heard of this label or this album. Despite the cheezy psychedelic cover and the small label from L.A., the sound and the music are quite good.

This is a strange label/cover, but the music is good. The band consists of Jordan on piano, Charlie Rouse on ts, Sonny Cohn on t, Art Taylor on d, and Eddie Kahn on b.

Song titles are

No Problem #1

No Problem #2

No Problem #3

Jazz Vendor

Subway Inn

The Feeling of Love #1

The Feeling of Love #2

The liner notes says it's a soundtrack to a film adaptation of Roger Vadim's Les Laisons Dangereuseses.

Has anyone heard of this label or this album. Despite the cheezy psychedelic cover and the small label from L.A., the sound and the music are quite good.

I've heard this album, but so long ago I remember little else other than I liked it. "No Problem" is quite a striking line and made a memorable film theme for Liaisons dangereuses" ,which I saw in Paris in 1960! IIRC the soundtrack also inclued "Pannonica" from Monk's Brilliant Corners album.

Edited by BillF

Song titles are

No Problem #1

No Problem #2

No Problem #3

Jazz Vendor

Subway Inn

The Feeling of Love #1

The Feeling of Love #2

ALA used to distribute a number of Johnny Otis' labels - may even have been owned by Otis.

MG