What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

It's a good week when you find three Argo Jamal's in perfect condition..

It's a good week if you can ONE Ahmad Jamal in PLAYABLE condition. Why are those records always beat to hell? Were they party records back in the day?

Really? My scarce (yes, too scarce,) Argo's Jamal are nice. :unsure:

• Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are certainly clean copies out there - I've amassed probably 8 or 10 titles over the years - but for the most part they're trashed.

That is my experience as well. Argos turn up fairly frequently, but they are almost always in lousy condition. In near perfect condition, they sound sublime.

Someone with the initials RLL kept his records in great condition, only writing his initials on the back cover and placing a numbered sticker on each one. (Since the stockers went up into the 400s, I'm wondering what happened to the rest of the collection.)

I was able to find twenty vintage jazz records from this person's collection, at low prices--including the three Jamals,

Art Blakey--Drum Suite (Columbia, six eyes)

Will Bradley-Johnny Guarnieri--Big Band Boogie (RCA Living Stereo)--Amazing sound on this one.

The History of Jazz, volume 4 (Capitol, turquoise label)

The Sound of Paul Horn (Columbia six eyes)

Manny Albam and the Jazz Greats, Jazz New York (Dot)

Dinah Washington--What a Difference A Day Makes (Mercury)

Jo Stafford--Jo + Jazz (Columbia six eyes)

Dinah Washington and Brook Benton (Mercury)

Stan Kenton--Roadshow (Capitol)

Coleman Hawkins--The Hawk Swings (Crown)--The only one in the collection in less than stellar condition.

Jonah Jones--Jonah Jumps Again (Capitol)

Something New, Something Blue (Columbia, six eyes)

Benny Goodman--Benny Swings Again (Columbia six eyes)

Dave Brubeck--Time Further Out (Columbia six eyes)

Dave Brubeck and Jimmy Rushing (Columbia six eyes)

Jack Sheldon--A Jazz Profile of Ray Charles (Reprise)

Al Hibbler--Monday Every Day (Reprise)

There are certainly clean copies out there - I've amassed probably 8 or 10 titles over the years - but for the most part they're trashed.

That is my experience as well. Argos turn up fairly frequently, but they are almost always in lousy condition. In near perfect condition, they sound sublime.

Someone with the initials RLL kept his records in great condition, only writing his initials on the back cover and placing a numbered sticker on each one. (Since the stockers went up into the 400s, I'm wondering what happened to the rest of the collection.)

I was able to find twenty vintage jazz records from this person's collection, at low prices--including the three Jamals,

Art Blakey--Drum Suite (Columbia, six eyes)

Will Bradley-Johnny Guarnieri--Big Band Boogie (RCA Living Stereo)--Amazing sound on this one.

The History of Jazz, volume 4 (Capitol, turquoise label)

The Sound of Paul Horn (Columbia six eyes)

Manny Albam and the Jazz Greats, Jazz New York (Dot)

Dinah Washington--What a Difference A Day Makes (Mercury)

Jo Stafford--Jo + Jazz (Columbia six eyes)

Dinah Washington and Brook Benton (Mercury)

Stan Kenton--Roadshow (Capitol)

Coleman Hawkins--The Hawk Swings (Crown)--The only one in the collection in less than stellar condition.

Jonah Jones--Jonah Jumps Again (Capitol)

Something New, Something Blue (Columbia, six eyes)

Benny Goodman--Benny Swings Again (Columbia six eyes)

Dave Brubeck--Time Further Out (Columbia six eyes)

Dave Brubeck and Jimmy Rushing (Columbia six eyes)

Jack Sheldon--A Jazz Profile of Ray Charles (Reprise)

Al Hibbler--Monday Every Day (Reprise)

Extraordinary. Did you get them all at once or over a period of time?

I've only ever bought two LPs that I could see were owned by the same person - someone called Wally - bought them at the same time. Oh, I've bought a few that I had previously owned myself - sometimes in a different town :)

MG

I've only ever bought two LPs that I could see were owned by the same person - someone called Wally - bought them at the same time. Oh, I've bought a few that I had previously owned myself - sometimes in a different town :)

MG

I bought them over the course of about a week. Most were $8! They didn't put them all out at once, but I stopped by nearly every day, once I bought the first few and realized the condition they were in (The store is on my route to work, not far from home.) Once new ones stopped appearing on the shelves, I was pretty disappointed.

Edited by kh1958

MG

I bought them over the course of about a week. Most were $8! They didn't put them all out at once, but I stopped by nearly every day, once I bought the first few and realized the condition they were in (The store is on my route to work, not far from home.) Once new ones stopped appearing on the shelves, I was pretty disappointed.

So this guy must be local. Tried to find him?

MG

MG

MG

No, I hadn't thought of that--could one find someone in the DFW area from just their initials? Sherlock Holmes where are you? However, I'm kind of guessing this person is not in any condition to talk. This smacks of the dumb heirs selling off the unwanted "junk," as I doubt that this store pays more than a pittance for records.

MG

MG

No, I hadn't thought of that--could one find someone in the DFW area from just their initials? Sherlock Holmes where are you? However, I'm kind of guessing this person is not in any condition to talk. This smacks of the dumb heirs selling off the unwanted "junk," as I doubt that this store pays more than a pittance for records.

Yes, of course - if they're flogging them so cheap they must be buying them for next to nothing. And someone who's obviously treasured them wouldn't take peanuts.

MG