What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Pepper Adams 'Critics' Choice' (Japanese World Pacific)

Yes, great! With the little-heard-of, though highly talented, Lee Katzman :tup

Good point - never come across him before. The rest of the band is incredible too - Jimmy Rowles, the great Doug Watkins and Mel Lewis !

• Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andre Hodier; Essais (Savoy/BMG France).

An overlooked gem?

Hodeir ? Yes and no. Yes for the quality of the music (sometimes), no for the intellectual pretentions of the guy and his books. Here in France Hodeir is regarded as the ultimate jazzcritic, musician, thorician. It is the typical " european know it all" jazz analyst : "you can't understand what i'm saying"

Pepper Adams 'Critics' Choice' (Japanese World Pacific)

Yes, great! With the little-heard-of, though highly talented, Lee Katzman :tup

Good point - never come across him before.

There's a Lee Katzman thread which you can find by putting his name into the search box under "Artists".

Yusef Lateef 'Live at Pep's' (Impulse original, stereo)

From the front steps of my house I can see the front entrance(the one on the back cover) of the building that housed "Pep's" bar. The building now houses a school .

Awesome ! :tup Got the photo in front of me. Hard to imagine it as a school looking at all the neon for 'Pep's Musical Bar'.

Herbie Nichols' Blue Note Recordings, Mosaic.

It might well be that today's pressings are worse. Listening to early Mosaic, bought used, I rarely found pressing flaw, on the contrary I found much more. minor, flaws in the most recent Mosaic, aka, Miles Davis's box sets.

It might well be that today's pressings are worse. Listening to early Mosaic, bought used, I rarely found pressing flaw, on the contrary I found much more. minor, flaws in the most recent Mosaic, aka, Miles Davis's box sets.

That's been my experience too.

Those early ones (the Monks, Herbie Nichols, Brownie etc.) are usually immaculate. I had to request a replacement LP on the Miles Blackhawk set but of course the great people at Mosaic sent a replacement out pronto. I think that's the only time I've ever had a flawed LP from Mosaic, a fantastic QA performance from them. :tup

Those early ones (the Monks, Herbie Nichols, Brownie etc.) are usually immaculate. I had to request a replacement LP on the Miles Blackhawk set but of course the great people at Mosaic sent a replacement out pronto. I think that's the only time I've ever had a flawed LP from Mosaic, a fantastic QA performance from them. :tup

Yep, they have a great customer service.

On the Davis's sets I found minor flaws, small ticks usually, nothing serious enough to push me to ask for a replacemet. For instance the Nichols is absolutely perfect after a cleaning cycle. And, despite 'digital transfers' from Ron McMaster, it sounds very good.

Yep, I've found exactly the same with my Nichols Mosaic. In addition, after a spin on the VPI the sound improved very significantly. I've just 'spun' the entire Basie Studio set and after the treatment, this one sounds bl**dy incredible !

One of the best sounding of the early sets, acoustically, IMO is the Desmond/Hall.

now spinning Clark Terry 'Night Life' (UK Transatlantic/Xtra). I'm assuming this is a 'Moodsville' session?

Edited by sidewinder

Yep, I've found exactly the same with my Nichols Mosaic. In addition, after a spin on the VPI the sound improved very significantly. I've just 'spun' the entire Basie Studio set and after the treatment, this one sounds bl**dy incredible !

One of the best sounding of the early sets, acoustically, IMO is the Desmond/Hall.

now spinning Clark Terry 'Night Life' (UK Transatlantic/Xtra). I'm assuming this is a 'Moodsville' session?

One of these http://www.jazzdisco.org/prestige/mdsv-cat/a/ ?

Thanks porcy - looks like it's this one:

"MVLP 26 Clark Terry Plays The Jazz Version Of All American

Clark Terry (tp, flh) Lester Robinson (tb) Budd Johnson (ts) George Barrow (bars) Eddie Costa (p, vib) Art Davis (b) Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 11, 1962

3519 Night Life

3520 Once Upon A Time

3521 It's Fun To Think

3522 I've Just Seen Her

same personnel

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 15, 1962

3523 If I Were You

3524 Fight Song

3525 Same Language

3526 What A Country "

I had to have an lp replaced in the Blackhawk box too. I can't recall at the moment what it was for sure, but I think it was a scratch. Whatever it was, it was an audible defect and Mosaic sent a replacement immediately.

Yes - I have "Beauty & the beat" - it was one of the first albums I ever bought and I'm on my third copy now :)

I also had, in those days, a two LP set called "The best of Peggy Lee" on UK Brunswick, from her Decca period. The track that always got me - and I still can hear it over 45 years later - was "Lover". Is that on the "Black coffee" album?

MG

"Lover" is on neither my 10" or 12" copy of "Black Coffee." I'm guessing it was on one of the other Decca albums (don't think she made too many on Decca; she was on Capitol, left for Decca for a couple of years, and then went back to Capitol).

Yes - I have "Beauty & the beat" - it was one of the first albums I ever bought and I'm on my third copy now :)

I also had, in those days, a two LP set called "The best of Peggy Lee" on UK Brunswick, from her Decca period. The track that always got me - and I still can hear it over 45 years later - was "Lover". Is that on the "Black coffee" album?

MG

"Lover" is on neither my 10" or 12" copy of "Black Coffee." I'm guessing it was on one of the other Decca albums (don't think she made too many on Decca; she was on Capitol, left for Decca for a couple of years, and then went back to Capitol).

Of course, "Lover" had an orchestral backing so, if "Black coffee" is with small jazz groups, I guess it wouldn't be there. Silly me. I do remember the "Black coffee" track on the double LP had a jazz band backing.

MG