Sonny & J.J. heard in "Working Girl"

MartyJazz

Last night, I'm using the remote going up and down the TV "dial" when I come upon a film "Working Girl" that I saw when it originally appeared circa 1988. Anyone else notice that when Melanie Griffith first encounters Harrison Ford at the bar, the soundtrack consists of Sonny Rollins and J.J. Johnson's rendition of "Poor Butterfly"? I probably noticed it when I first saw the film - my ears always perk up when it's Sonny - but evidently I had forgotten that pleasurable moment.

Didn't notice when I saw this in theatres, because I was too busy shaking my head in disbelief at how truly awful this movie was.

Melanie Griffith lisping through the line 'I've got a head for business and a bod for sin'? Please!

Bertrand.

Granted, it's not what you'd expect to hear from any woman (at least, I've never been that lucky), but what makes it "work" in the context of the film is Harrison Ford's take in response to it. Funny and it points to why Ford was very good box office for a considerable period of time.

Oh, I love this movie man, especially when Sigourney Weaver gets told off and when Melanie Griffith tells her friend where she's calling from at the end of the movie.  Great theme.

Brad,

Do you interpret the end as I do, that as the camera pulls back to show countless similar offices, that maybe she hasn't really "arrived"? To me the ending is ambiguous rather than fully triumphant.

Edited by Dan Gould