Candidate Cities to host 2012 Olympic Games

Choose your favorite!!!  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The security forces in NYC don't really need this extra stress right now, do they?

I live a half hour outside of NYC.

Last night it took me 1 1/2 hours to get home. Things like the Olympics and stadiums in NYC are a real bad idea.

Edited by 7/4

It must have been Chirac's comments about the food that swung it !  :lol:

You may be right :P

The dinner at the G8 summit at Gleneagles tonight will be a fun event when Blair and Chirac meet again!

Wonder what will be on the menu! Haggis?!?

Presume Chirac's humor will be on the low side!

I listened to London's final presentation this morning on the radio. Tony Blair amazed everyone by delivering his speech via a live video link from Gleneagles in FRENCH which he is completely fluent in. From all reports it went down extremely well and possibly swung the vote in London's favour. Seb Coe was pretty good too.

All I can say is that, as a New Yorker, I am glad my city was spared the ordeal (and expense).

It's bad luck for Paris and Madrid, they both had good bids - I don't really think the New York and Moscow bids were all that strong - but Stratford the area in east London that will be the main site for the Olympics is seriously in need of the regeneration that the Olympics will bring. As you lived here for a while Chris you're probably aware of how run down some parts of the East End were. Of course London will have all the usual problems over the next few years of escalating cost, construction delays and conjestion caused by mass construction but the long term benefits of new transport links, new modern sporting arenas, new housing stock (much of which is to be used for affordable social housing) and the complete rejuvenation of a depressed area of the city I think will be well worth it. I get the impression that the majority of Londoners are very positive about the fact that they will now host the games and the benefits to the city that they will bring.

Edited by Phil Meloy

The dinner at the G8 summit at Gleneagles tonight will be a fun event when Blair and Chirac meet again!

Wonder what will be on the menu! Haggis?!?

Presume Chirac's humor will be on the low side!

I hear that they are bringing up a 'special' chef from the East End of London to cook him up some jellied eels ! :bad::lol:

The tripe chefs from Yorkshire are also standing in reserve in the wings...

The construction industry in the South of England will be very happy with all of the extra work. Shares in the major companies went up steeply today. The downside of this though is that anyone else in the South who needs a builder for the next few years will have to fight for their services.. ;)

The East End of London has been a deprived area since time immemorial. Indeed there is a theory that when the Saxons settled the area in the 5th/6th century they ejected the natives to the East of the old Roman walls and that situation and inequality has persisted ever since. In recent years the area has improved significantly with new development but I can remember a time in the early 80s, walking through Limehouse, when it was still very 'iffy' and WW2 bomb damage was still highly visible.

This selection is absolutely great news for London and the East-enders in particular and should add some major impetus to the new rail-link projects and infrastructure.

Edited by sidewinder

I don't care for sport at all but this is great. There's a wonderful upbeat mood in the UK today.

[p.s. If anyone wants to book a room for 2012, just 3 hours from London, prices are currently quite low! Bound to rise closer to the date.]

Edited by Bev Stapleton