Bad news about Steve Lacy's health

Claude

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, I just learned about this tonight. It is very upsetting how many greats we've lost lately, but at least the great orchestra in the sky has another great soprano chair... and he'll be playing with Mal again.

I saw him here in MSP last fall and he looked pretty frail, but his playing was on form. I thought he'd be around forever, though...

:(

That 1990 interview was quite interesting.

[...] I worked with [Monk's] quintet for a season, about four months with Charlie Rouse. There's a pirate tape and there are three tunes that were all recorded at a festival in Philadelphia in 1960, Evidence, Blue Monk and Rhythm-a-ning. [...]

Has anyone heard this tape?!

Edited by alankin

I was not familiar with Mr. Lacy's work. For whatever, reason, he just wasn't on my radar screen. KCSM played a tribute to him last night and others played his music off and on all day yesterday. What I heard sounded wonderful and I'm sorry I did not get the chance to see him perform.

RIP.

Edited by RainyDay

Sad news indeed!

He was definitely one of my favorite artists.I'm going to miss him very much!

I'm going to play his Dreher set with Mal Waldron tonight.Especially the track "The Seagulls of Kristiansund". What a track and Steve's playing on this track is utterly beautiful.

This e-mail message has been received today from the Senators:

Steve Lacy passed away on Friday, June 4th, 2004.

He had been diagnosed with liver cancer last August, but maintained a vigorous teaching and performing schedule right up until last month.

He slipped into a coma in the hospital on Wednesday and never regained consciousness.

We will miss him so much.

Vincent Lainé

--

Senators: Steve Lacy's music modus operandi http://stevelacymusic.org/

email: senators@free.fr

PS: the website will be unavailable for a while. The Senators records pages

(http://senatorsrecords.free.fr/) remain open.

I just heard that the next issue of Signal to noise will feature "Ed Hazell's fine article about the "art songs" he (Steve Lacy) composed with his longtime partner Irene Aebi, based upon what would turn out to be Mr. Lacy's last in-depth interview. It appears in the forthcoming summer issue of SIGNAL to NOISE, mailing this week."

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard today, too, after logging onto the European Free Improv site to check out the July update. I haven't been on the computer much this month, and was on vacation too, but can't believe I missed the news all month. This is terrible, 69 is too damn young.

Brando passed away today at 80 and I thought that was a bit young (guess 'cause my grandparents have lasted into their mid to late 90's).

Thank you, Mr. Lacy for your wonderful musical legacy, RIP.