Tower Records in Austin...

As most of the Austinites on this board know, the Tower on Guadalupe is closing. Starting last weekend everything was 20% off and, as of this morning, it's up to 30%!

I'm going as soon as I get off of work today to grab a couple Criterion DVDs. I'll wait and stock up on their unpopualr titles when the discount gets higher.

It's too sad for me to go. . . . I have a lot of fond memories in that store, one of my very best friends has been working there from day one and doesn't yet know what he'll be doing next. . . . I've sort of been mourning it's closing about three months (abd I've known since before Halloween they were going to close as soon as someone assumed their lease).

It's too sad for me to go. . .

And probably WAY too expensive! ;) But seriously, I can imagine, Lon. Our local Tower was practically my second home (no, I didn't work there) from the mid-70's up until a few years ago. One thing that would make me less sad when it closes, though, is all the reorganizing/remodeling that's taken place over the past decade (one can now hear two different kinds of music at the same time, at almost any position in the store :rolleyes: ). It hardly feels like the same place anymore.

BTW, isn't Big Al always priceless? ;)

BTW #2, this thread title says "Tower Records in Austin... 30% of everything". :unsure: "30% of everything? Now, I know Tower is big, and I know Texas is big, but...?

;) Sorry, won't happen again (not today, at least)...

Edited by Jim R

Anyone know when the final day is?

The combination of your question and your avatar is absolutely priceless.

Would you believe me if I say it was completely unplanned? Yeah, I don't believe it either!

I have a lot of fond memories in that store

Me, too. I remember when we moved my sister down there in the summer of '90, seeing that it was going to be opening soon. I also remember taking my then-girlfriend (now-wife) there so I could buy Trane's Soultrane and Traneing In, and then slow-dancing with her back at my sister's apartment to "You Say You Care." I also remember being excited to find XTC CDs down there, cuz you sure couldn't get imports anywhere in Arlington!

Lots of fond memories. Sure hate to see it go. First Sound Exchange, now this; Waterloo is pretty much all that's left now, I guess.

BTW, isn't Big Al always priceless?

You, sir, are too kind. I don't even have anything priceless to come back with, except to say that I wish I could move my avatar down to this line! :excited:

Sunday the 13th is the last day.  No further reductions are going to happen either, 30% is as low as it go.

Not to be nitpicky, but is the 13th the last day of the sale, or the last day of business?

I'm certain Lon beans both. I can't imagine they'd remain open offering items at regular price.

I went there today and bought very little. There was a lot that I wanted and a number of things tempted me. Alas.....I am but an achingly poor grad student so I picked up DVD copies of The Apartment and Irma La Douce. Personal favorites of mine. My grand total was something like $21. Pretty good deal.

Now that I know there will be no further discounts, I might rethink that The Third Man Criterion I've had my eye on for months. B)

Edited by Brandon Burke

one of my very best friends has been working there from day one and doesn't yet know what he'll be doing next. . . .

Hey Lon, speaking of DL- it would be nice to have him and his expertise around here. Think he might be interested in visiting the asylum?

The Tower store appeared after I left Austin, but I frequented it whenever I came to town. I remember working for a minute (in the late 80s) at a place called CDS OF AUSTIN as a jazz buyer. I also remember getting my car repaired at a place called <warning:musician humor> AUSTIN AUTO. No shit! :rolleyes:

Tower sucks. We had one in E. Lansing. It came in and systematically killed every other CD store in town except for the ones that sell used (it tried to kill them too, by selling used CDs). It killed my favorite store, Wherehouse Records. They had a killer jazz and classical selection.

After it had destroyed all it's competition, it closed. Thanks, Tower. You rule.

:tdown

I liked the Tower in Chicago (on Clark). Between it and (better yet) Jazz Record Mart I kept my Visa card maxed out. I knew the jazz guy at Tower, though- that always helps. Though I also knew Ron Bierma (sp?) at JRM.

So Jim, you're saying that Tower is like the Wal-Mart (or Starbucks) of CD retail?

Well, the Tower Austin jazz section at least has good service, better than Waterloo to me personally, and I don't believe that Tower has been responsible for the collapse of independent stores here. . . . Bushonomics in general seem more repsonsible to me.

No, DL is not interested in spending time on internet bulletin boards. . . which is something I guess I admire in him! ^_^

Read an interesting article not long ago about the Tower closings. Apparently all taking place in college towns where music downloading is popular. As much as I would like to fault Tower's business plan or some aspect of its management, I find it a bit difficult to do.

In the case of the Tower in Austin, I think it was a number of factors, not the least of which is that it was practically inaccessible to anyone who didn’t already live on campus. There was little, if no room to park, so that pretty much eliminates anyone outside of the campus proper (and what parking there was cost about $5!). The suburbanization of Austin hasn’t helped Tower’s cause, either; Borders, Barnes & Nobles, and Best Buys are sprouting up like weeds in the outer reaches from downtown. Plus, with college kids becoming more internet savvy, downloading becoming more rampant, and just finding better prices online, it’s a wonder Tower even lasted this long down there. (I’m just guessing here, but I’m willing to bet that UT-Austin isn’t nearly as liberal as it was ten or fifteen years ago; as such, conservative college students are too busy trying to take over the world that buying CDs isn’t even in the top ten priorities). With all this and the general crappiness of the music business, I have a notion that this is clearly the way the brick-n-mortar stores are heading. I hope I’m wrong, though.

(I’m just guessing here, but I’m willing to bet that UT-Austin isn’t nearly as liberal as it was ten or fifteen years ago; as such, conservative college students are too busy trying to take over the world that buying CDs isn’t even in the top ten priorities).

Conservatives don't buy CDs??

:wacko:

Tower sucks.

Obviously the selection varies from store to store.

The Wherehouse stores in Phoenix have little if any jazz, new or used.

The few independents we have here are the same way.

However, the Tower in the north end of town has a great selection. A couple of the dudes behind the counter know a thing or two about jazz as well, so that store is okay with me.

I heard that the main London Tower Records has (or is in the process of) closing town - I think either HMV or Virgin are taking it over. The jazz section of this store used to have a pretty extensive collection of CDs and the best in the UK for Japanese imports. They've bailed me out quite a few time for scarce CDs over the years so this is a real loss..