UNIVERSITY PREZ: 'C-WORD' CAN BE 'TERM OF

Hoffman says slur can be "term of endearment"

9news reporter Adam Schrager (9NEWS Legislative Reporter)

Created: 6/15/2004 7:16 AM MDT - Updated: 6/15/2004 11:23 AM MDT

9News Reporter Adam Schrager reports on the controversial testimony by University of Colorado President Elizabeth Hoffman. 9News at 10 p.m. June 14, 2004

In a sworn statement to be made public Tuesday, University of Colorado President Elizabeth Hoffman said a four-letter word used toward women can sometimes be used as a "term of endearment."

The comment comes from Hoffman's latest sworn testimony in connection with a federal lawsuit against the university.

The suit was filed by women who say they were sexually assaulted by CU football players and recruits.

A lawyer for one of the women asked Hoffman about former CU kicker Katie Hnida being called the "c- word" by a teammate.

That player was later disciplined by coach Gary Barnett for making the remark.

In the deposition, Hoffman was asked whether the "c-word" is "filthy and vile."

She said she knows the word is a swear word, but "It is all in the context of what--of how it is used and when it is used."

She was asked, "Can you indicate any polite context in which that word would be used?"

Hoffman answered, "Yes, I've actually heard it used as a term of endearment."

A CU spokeswoman said President Hoffman is aware of the negative connotations associated with the word.

But, the spokesperson said, because Hoffman is a medieval scholar, she is aware of the long history of the word. She said it was not always a negative term.

Additionally, some CU critics are scheduled to meet with Gov. Bill Owens Tuesday, to talk about how the university is handling the football recruiting scandal.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME...47-c589c01ca7bf

I didn't know that, I know my better half would probably not enjoy hearing the word ;) ! Maybe someone should try it out and let the rest of us know how it works out! Good Luck!

I didn't know that, I know my better half would probably not enjoy hearing the word ;) ! Maybe someone should try it out and let the rest of us know how it works out! Good Luck!

Hoffman's statement is in the present tense, so the defense that she is aware of the long history of the word is a smokescreen.

There's not a woman alive today who would accept that word as a term of endearment. At least, no self-respecting woman.

I like the General's take on this. http://tinyurl.com/33mdu

We're not misogynists after all

Dear President Hoffman,

It's hard being a manly Christian man these days. You have to watch every word you say or you'll be hauled before the PC police. You can't even say something like, "Hey 'cunt,' get me a beer," without people screaming "misogynist."

It's funny that it took a Republican woman like yourself to change all that. That's what you did the other day when you said that "cunt" was a term of endearment. I salute you for doing it.

Sure, there will be those who will say that you were just cynically covering your butt because your athletic program allowed male football players to use that word to sexually harass a female football player, but anyone who would say that is just a "cunt" anyway. Certainly, no real men, no rugged, manly, Christian individualists are making that argument. That's a debate for women and sissies. It's an argument for "cunts."

In any event, it was a brave act on your part--one that is unlikely to win you friends in the academic world. To hell with those who can't grasp what you've accomplished. You've advanced traditional patriarchal values farther than any man could, now it's time to get back into the kitchen.

Heterosexually yours,

General JC Christian, patriot

posted by Gen. JC Christian, Patriot | 12:14 AM

I like the General's take on this. http://tinyurl.com/33mdu

We're not misogynists after all

Dear President Hoffman,

It's hard being a manly Christian man these days. You have to watch every word you say or you'll be hauled before the PC police. You can't even say something like, "Hey 'cunt,' get me a beer," without people screaming "misogynist."

It's funny that it took a Republican woman like yourself to change all that. That's what you did the other day when you said that "cunt" was a term of endearment. I salute you for doing it.

Sure, there will be those who will say that you were just cynically covering your butt because your athletic program allowed male football players to use that word to sexually harass a female football player, but anyone who would say that is just a "cunt" anyway. Certainly, no real men, no rugged, manly, Christian individualists are making that argument. That's a debate for women and sissies. It's an argument for "cunts."

In any event, it was a brave act on your part--one that is unlikely to win you friends in the academic world. To hell with those who can't grasp what you've accomplished. You've advanced traditional patriarchal values farther than any man could, now it's time to get back into the kitchen.

Heterosexually yours,

General JC Christian, patriot

posted by Gen. JC Christian, Patriot | 12:14 AM

what the fuck does this have to do with Christianity, anyway? :huh:

Well speakin' of Christians, did I just hear that Colorado University is merging with North Texas???

Which remonds me of when North Texas State Univerity changed its name to The University of North Texas. Everybody wondered if the school's radio station would change its call letters from KNTU to, well, you know...

They didn't.

i've always been mystified and dismayed by the fact that in our culture, the worst thing you can possibly call someone is a slang term for the female genitalia. this could only happen in a male-dominated society that holds such confused and frightened views on sexuality. :blink:

I bet there's more to it than just the meaning of the word. I think it probably has something to do with the sound of the word - short, abrubt, stunted even. It's a totally un-"feminine" SOUND, which adds to whatever literal insult comes with the usage of the word, and perhaps is the root of the repugnancy of it. It's like calling a guy a "pussy" and drawing out the vowel tone and the "ss" - that just reeks of "femininity" and bumps the insult meter up more than a few notches.

I do think that there is more to the power of language than just the words themselves. Sound itself has power too. Think of how many profanities have sharp, biting sounds to them. The sound itself is "agressive", and maybe expressing those sounds verbally is a crude but effective form of releasing pent-up tension through, not just emotional, but physical means.

Certainly anthropological studies about the non-literal communication effects of the sounds of words have been done?

Edited by JSngry

It has nothing to do with "patriarchy" and "male domination".

What it is related to is what Jim touches on:

Like it or not, men expect other men to act like men, and women to act like women.

Therefore, ball-busting women are cunts. Effeminate men are pussies.

Patriarchy or Mother Earth Goddess loving community, it would be the same thing.

I'm confused...

What should we do, insult people with words that flatter their gender-specific traits? I mean, basing an insult on any kind of gender-specific notion is a bit "below the belt", so to speak, but the notion of insult is based on the direct hit, and that's about as direct you can get.

And don't tell me women don't play the same game. They do, and quite well, and I don't think it's as a result of being conditioned by living under male domination for so long. It's human nature to get angry and go for the direct hit, not just male nature.

But in keeping with your thought, if you want to call me a "well hung reservoir of life seed" and my wife a "warmly moist, softly curvaceous keeper of the life force", well hey - we'll make sure to be HIGHLY insulted! :g:g:g

(and none of this to mock the very real effects of male-dominated culture, btw. I just don't think that primal human nature is in fact one of those effects.)

There's a gag in Shakespeare (in "Twelfth Night," I think) in which a man has received what he believes to be a love letter from a woman with which he is infatuated. He says something like "Can this be her hand? It is! These are her 'C's, her 'U's, her 'N's, her 'T's." Upon which the Falstaff-like clown (who is one of the men responsible for planting the forgery) popps up and says to the audience, in an aside, "Her 'C's, 'U's, 'N's, and 'T's?"

So even Shakespeare used that word!