Jackie Paris dies

brownie

Sad news!

From AP:

Jackie Paris

NEW YORK (AP) - Jackie Paris, a jazz vocalist who toured with Charlie Parker and was said to be one of the favorite singers of Ella Fitzgerald and comedian Lenny Bruce, died Thursday. He was 79.

Paris died of complications from bone cancer, according to David Grausman, a friend.

Born Carlo Jackie Paris, he got his start as a child in vaudeville and worked as a singer and guitarist in the jazz clubs of 52nd Street in the 1940s. He served two years in the Army.

Paris worked with Lionel Hampton and Charles Mingus and was the first to sing the lyrics to Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight."

Later, he taught master classes and gave private lessons while continuing to record and perform, singing as recently as March at the Jazz Standard in Manhattan

Jackie Paris: Jazz Vocal Enigma

Will Friedwald's 'Jazz Singing' book was my calling card to the vocal stylings of Jackie Paris. I've spent the last couple years trying to figure him out. Paris is of the cool school of Mark Murphy, Joe Mooney, and Bob Dorough.

From here, I'll let Friedwald tell it: "Paris has one of the most appealing sounds in jazz, his raspy baritone carrying the same kind of catch as Crosby. Just as his voice has far less range than Torme's...he has no hang-ups about vibrato, and lets his hang like a tongue. Paris has so much charm you don't mind when his voice shakes or breaks -- these weaknesses provide a substantial part of his attraction.

"Paris has spent his career in a fruitless search for an audience, though his failure to find one reflects more on the music industry than his own talent. But efforts to reach the mass audience somehow resulted only in his going deeper into the jazz underground; he toured with the Charlie Parker Quintet in 1949 (the only vocalist to do that)...Still not even the jazz public came out to support him in sufficient numbers, and though Mercury/Emarcy, Coral, Brunswick, Atlantic, Time, and Impulse each gave him a shot at an album (Capitol auditioned him on the insistence of booster Peggy Lee but didn't bite), none ever came back for a second. At the time of the Impulse album in 1962, Paris said to Bill Coss, "I've worked twenty weeks out of the last five years."

In 1985, he told Will Friedwald,"I've got about seven or eight albums and they're ALL collector's items. What the hell good does it do me?"

Jackie Paris remained obscure, known to only the most discerning of jazz vocal cognoscenti. Don't let me mislead you, he's no vocal gymnast. Paris' style and approach are straightahead and FAR IN, not out. Oh yeah, he also played guitar and tap danced, too.

Sad. No one sang "Skylark" better.

Paris was married for a short time to Anne Marie Moss and they did a nightclub duo. Their "Live At The Maisonette" album (LP) should be sought out by anyone who is Paris fan.

Paris' Brunswick album and Impulse album (classics, each one) are available on Japanese releases on CD.

My wife and I saw him live in NYC at the then small room at the Tavern on The Green that featured jazz. I was shocked by how well he played the guitar.

Edited by jazzman4133

Thanks for writing, guys. Jackie Paris wasn't over-the-top as a vocalist, and wouldn't resort to the knock-em-dead shticks of 50's borstch-belters and crooners.

He always set high standards for the standards he sang. For the last 50 years, he knew he was living the life of a tragic, unappreciated artist. And still, he lived it.

I played some of his early tracks w/Mingus on the radio last night... couldn't run down a copy of CHANGES TWO, though, dammit. We have that live duo album at WFIU--I'll give it a listen. Even among cult-followers Paris seemed to have only a cult following, know what I mean? Wonder if Mosaic could ever do anything with the material that he left behind.

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm going to do a show on Paris for my new radio program; with luck it will air on Saturday, July 10. I have the Mingus material and have ordered a Savoy CD that has the early version of ROUND MIDNIGHT; also have the LP with Moss. Does anybody have a copy of JACKIE PARIS SINGS LYRICS OF IRA GERSHWIN that they could trade to me for blank CD-Rs or something else that's OOP?

I'll post a link to the program when it airs...

I'm going to do a show on Paris for my new radio program; with luck it will air on Saturday, July 10. I have the Mingus material and have ordered a Savoy CD that has the early version of ROUND MIDNIGHT; also have the LP with Moss. Does anybody have a copy of JACKIE PARIS SINGS LYRICS OF IRA GERSHWIN that they could trade to me for blank CD-Rs or something else that's OOP?

Also looking for CD-Rs (no need for covers--track listing/personnel only would be swell) of SKYLARK and THE SONG IS PARIS so that I can do a program on Paris.

He wasn't really very good.  Sorry!  Not everybody in the Jazz world is a genius.  T

Very true, and when people pass it seems their legend grows.. but I do like the " Live at the Maisonette " Album. With Anne Marie.. The opening track My Shining Hour was planted in my mind by Daddy O Dailyee playing it constantlee.

Edited by P.D.

Let me retract the above riposte and be the one to "get over it".

You're either in the minority who appreciates Jackie Paris or you're not.

The inference that some of us are deliberately creating his 'legend' is not accurate. I think most of the positive comments herein have been stated with care. Nobody's gone overboard in gushing about a 'legend'.

I'm going to do a show on Paris for my new radio program; with luck it will air on Saturday, July 10.  I have the Mingus material and have ordered a Savoy CD that has the early version of ROUND MIDNIGHT; also have the LP with Moss.  Does anybody have a copy of JACKIE PARIS SINGS LYRICS OF IRA GERSHWIN that they could trade to me for blank CD-Rs or something else that's OOP? 

Also looking for CD-Rs (no need for covers--track listing/personnel only would be swell) of SKYLARK and THE SONG IS PARIS so that I can do a program on Paris.

Up for help on Jackie Paris. Will work for CD-Rs. B)

There is one gem of a recording featuring Jackie Paris as guest vocalist, which seems to have been largely overlooked! It's title is "MODERN JAZZ PERPECTIVE", Columbia CL 1058 which featured The Donald Byrd-Gigi Gryce Jazz Lab Quintet! Paris is absolutely splendid with his scat improvisations...particularly on the tracks, "Early Bird" and "Elgy"! You can truly hear the Charlie Parker influence here! I highly recommend this recording to any true Jackie Paris fan ( or first-time Paris listener ) if the unedited LP can be found! It's a shame my favorite track, "Early Bird" was omitted from the twofer "Collectibles" CD release!

There is one gem of a recording featuring Jackie Paris as guest vocalist, which seems to have been largely overlooked! It's title is "MODERN JAZZ PERPECTIVE", Columbia CL 1058 which featured The Donald Byrd-Gigi Gryce Jazz Lab Quintet! Paris is absolutely splendid with his scat improvisations...particularly on the tracks, "Early Bird" and "Elgy"! You can truly hear the Charlie Parker influence here! I highly recommend this recording to any true Jackie Paris fan ( or first-time Paris listener ) if the unedited LP can be found! It's a shame my favorite track, "Early Bird" was omitted from the twofer "Collectibles" CD release!

I somehow overlooked your comment here, Mobleytime... that is a shame. I think we have the LP in our station's library... I seem to recall using it once before for a Gryce special that I did. I'll check this afternoon, but thanks for the heads-up--I'll know to look for just "Elgy" on the CD when it arrives.

Speaking of photos with Jackie Paris, I remember the one photo on jazz that was included in the 'Family of Man' book classic. It showed Jackie Paris playing guitar at a jam session with Tony Scott. Amazingly beautiful photo. Think it was taken by Hugh Bell. Did a google on this and could not trace the image.

I just received this email announcement:

JACKIE PARIS

A JAZZ MEMORIAL SERVICE

at

ST. PETER¹S LUTHERAN CHURCH

619 LEXINGTON AVENUE

(ENTRANCE ON 54TH STREET)

NEW YORK CITY € 212.935.2200

THURSDAY, JULY 15th, 2004, 4PM

Benediction by PASTOR DALE LIND

MUSIC BY JACKIE¹S TRIO

With a preview screening of selected scenes

from the documentary

³Tis Autumn; The Art Of Jackie Paris²

featuring:

Dr. Billy Taylor

Hank Jones

James Moody

Anne Marie Moss

George Wein

Soupy Sales

Presented by the Family, Friends and Fans

of our beloved Jackie Paris.

For more information please contact:

Gene Davis at 212.874.1939 or

Sheryn Goldenhersh at foreverarriving@aol.com

or visit www.jackieparis.com

• 4 years later...

Speaking of photos with Jackie Paris, I remember the one photo on jazz that was included in the 'Family of Man' book classic. It showed Jackie Paris playing guitar at a jam session with Tony Scott. Amazingly beautiful photo. Think it was taken by Hugh Bell. Did a google on this and could not trace the image.

13.jpg