Ordered from Dusty (bastards!) lately?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually stood in Dusty Groove today, with the Roland Kirk, LIVE, UNISSUED MATERIAL, 1964 CD in my hand - several times, in fact. It was a severe test of my pledge not to buy any more CDs (or tapes or LPs or SACDs...) And yes, I resisted the temptation.

Then I went to Jazz Record Mart. And Reckless and Tower and 2nd Hand and...

and... ?

The suspense is killing me!

I actually stood in Dusty Groove today, with the Roland Kirk, LIVE, UNISSUED MATERIAL, 1964 CD in my hand - several times, in fact. It was a severe test of my pledge not to buy any more CDs (or tapes or LPs or SACDs...) And yes, I resisted the temptation.

Then I went to Jazz Record Mart. And Reckless and Tower and 2nd Hand and...

Big mistake, that's a terrific Kirk recording.

I snagged me a John Gordon CD, originally on Strata-East. Never heard of the guy - he is a trombonist.

Standard disclaimers apply ...

One of the most obscure sessions on Strata East -- and an excellent groover that really keeps up the label's soul jazz spirit! Jon Gordon's a lesser-known trombonist from the 70s, but he's working here with an all-star group that includes Charles Tolliver on trumpet, Stanley Cowell on piano, Roland Alexander on reeds, and Andrew Cyrille on drums -- all coming together with a spirit that's quite similar to that of Tolliver's classic Music Inc recordings of the time! The titles are mostly all originals by Gordon, played in a loping, lyrical mode that often bursts out with a free-thinking approach to the solos. Titles include "P&G Incorporated", "No Tricks No Gimmicks", "Activity", "Step By Step", and "Dance Of the Ymas".

Eric that lineup seems closer to Avant Garde than Soul Jazz. Did it turn out differently from Dusty Groove's write up?

Chris,

Not avant garde at all ... but not really soul jazz either.

It is a nice date. The three horns create a pretty big sound. Tunes are pretty mainstream (mostly written by Gordon) and are pretty decent. Reminds me of a Woody Shaw Muse date as much as anything else.

Eric

Edit - After 3-4 listens today, I will upgrade my assessment to "pretty darn nifty". :tup

Edited by Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the following LP's from Dusty...

Grant Green - 'Solid' (70's pressing)

Thad Jones - 'Fabulous Thad Jones' (OJC pressing)

Freddie Hubbard - 'The Artistry of...' (70's pressing)

Hank Mobley - 'Hank Mobley & His All Stars' (70's pressing)

Hank Mobley - 'Slice of the Top' (70's pressing)

Oliver Nelson - 'Blues and the Abstract Truth' (70's pressing)

Horace Silver - 'Silver's Serenade' (70's pressing)

• 2 weeks later...

Why order from the bastards when I can go see them? New place is 8 blocks doorstep to doorstep. I get my healthy two mile walk in (well, it'd be healthy if I didn't stop at Moonshine for a Haacker-Pschorr) and some cool atavistic sides all in one Saturday afternoon!!

Actually, the new place is awful for keeping money in my wallet. Dusty Groove (the bespectacled girl :wub: behind the counter is too cute for me to refer to them as bastards) is down the street, Reckless is up the street, the JRM is a Blue Line trip away, as is Virgin and Tower. This doesn't even mention the fact that Myopic Books is right by Reckless, and...shit, I'm gonna be broke by November...

...Reckless is up the street, the JRM is a Blue Line trip away, as is Virgin and Tower.  This doesn't even mention the fact that Myopic Books is right by Reckless, and...shit, I'm gonna be broke by November...

thanks for the post. i've been to dusty's store a few times, but i never realized there was a reckless records so close by. however, you forgot to mention my favorite stopover when i'm in that part of town: smoke daddy rhythm & barbecue. it's around the corner on w. division. great food, cool atmosphere, attractive waitresses, and interesting live music at night.

mmmm, barbecue

barbecue.gif

Edited by jazzshrink

The Smoke Daddy is awesome, but I'm a bigger fan of Moonshine (about 8 doors down), and Mac's (across the street). As for BBQ, I've been spoiled by growing up on the south side. A couple of dudes with an oil can and a recipe to die for did their thing right up the street from us (near "The Cell") and BBQ has never, ever, ever been the same for me since I moved when I was 12. Sigh....

Now, when it comes to music, if you're lookin for grease, the Smoke Daddy can't be beat. And the Reckless is in Wicker Park, on the 1400 N. block of Milwaukee.

I must register a note of disappointment with Dusty Groove...

One of the records I recently bought from them was a 1970's pressing of Hank Mobley's 'Hank Mobley & His All Stars'...not thinking that this was originally released in mono and, with this being a 70's reissue, would probably be in "simulated stereo".

So, when I received it, there it is in big, bold letters on the cover of the album:

"RE-RECORDED TO SIMULATE STEREO"

Ugh.

I promptly sent an email to customer service to see if I could return it for credit. The response I received from them is as follows:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your message regarding the Hank Mobley LP. Unfortunately, we cannot accept this return. Since we can't be sure of the exact manufacturing conditions of the records we stock, we never list stereo or mono distinctions on our websit. I'm very sorry but we cannot accept the returns based on the stereo/mono distinction. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Junko

Dusty Groove America

dga@dustygroove.com

http://www.dustygroove.com/

I understand their reason for not being able to designate mono/stereo for each and every record they stock. However, I don't understand their reason for refusing to allow me to return this. Shouldn't the fact that I'm not happy with the item be enough to warrant a return?! I didn't even ask for a refund - I simply asked for credit towards a future purchase.

Am I wrong to feel let down about this?