The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

David and the Dorks at the Matrix, I assume? Yes, nice stuff.

Don't know if this got posted or not, but for all you mp3 folks,

http://www.speedingarrow.net

is another source. It has almost all of 1972--all of the Europe stuff. If you are listening on ipods, walkmans, computer speakers and/or if you are older than 45, or just don't care, these files (all taken from the archive) may be the thing for you. I'm downloading the Lille, France show to check it out.

Cd cover: http://www.gdcdcovers.com There are some very nice covers and some that are functional.

Go, Lon, go!!!!! (I know this is your cover site of choice!!)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, I finally have all the Dick's Picks AND Downloads from the years I'm interested in (from the beginning til when Brent walked in and changed stuff imo). Just an amazing series of recordings. We're so lucky that the Dead were archiving themselves, let alone all the great fan recordings.

Lon: I assume that you are referring to the official Download series that is available at the Grateful Dead Store. Right? What is the sound quality like on that series?

John

David and the Dorks at the Matrix, I assume? Yes, nice stuff.

Don't know if this got posted or not, but for all you mp3 folks,

http://www.speedingarrow.net

is another source. It has almost all of 1972--all of the Europe stuff. If you are listening on ipods, walkmans, computer speakers and/or if you are older than 45, or just don't care, these files (all taken from the archive) may be the thing for you. I'm downloading the Lille, France show to check it out.

Cd cover: http://www.gdcdcovers.com There are some very nice covers and some that are functional.

Go, Lon, go!!!!! (I know this is your cover site of choice!!)

One note: it is http://www.speedingarrow.net/zephyr/ or http://www.speedingarrow.net/zephyr/mp3.

The simple .net will get you a green page and nothing more. Playing the Lille--sounds great to me.

John, I finally have all the Dick's Picks AND Downloads from the years I'm interested in (from the beginning til when Brent walked in and changed stuff imo). Just an amazing series of recordings. We're so lucky that the Dead were archiving themselves, let alone all the great fan recordings.

Lon: I assume that you are referring to the official Download series that is available at the Grateful Dead Store. Right? What is the sound quality like on that series?

John

Yeah, that's what I meant. I have downloaded these using the iTunes files, which are not any of the three types available on the Dead Store, but those probably sound as good and the FLAC better. Really excellent sound, and reallly excellent shows (all the ones I've bought which are all those through 1977).

Bill, yeah, I got the green screen then did a google search and found the right link. Just finished patching holes in 1966~!

John:

The sound quality of the gd downloads is rather good considering the age of the masters. The argument continues as to the relative quality of mp3, shn, flac. If you are into the best available sound, spring for the FLAC files. But for ipod or computer type listening, the mp3 is still fine.

Lon: I am truly sorry that you found the right link. There goes your week. :rofl:

That Zephyr site looks impressive. I tried downloading a few shows, but there is something about their MP3 format that causes my computer to have fits. It takes it more than a minute just to copy a 10,000 kb MP3 file from one directory to another. I haven't tried loading them into iTunes yet, but I am afraid that there might be an explosion or two. :g

I would if I could! I'm not a dime member and I can only really download MP3s with the setup I have now.

Bill, there goes my MONTH! But then again, that's a good thing. I can download and prepare art for a half a dozen shows a day here in the hospital room, and then prepare the backup cd, cut the artwork and assemble at night in the hotel room. It's keeping me out of trouble.

I'm reading about the Dead too. I'm DREAMING about the Dead.

Bill, there goes my MONTH! But then again, that's a good thing. I can download and prepare art for a half a dozen shows a day here in the hospital room, and then prepare the backup cd, cut the artwork and assemble at night in the hotel room. It's keeping me out of trouble.

Hospital room?? Hotel room? Did I miss something. I hope everything is ok.....

News from Rhino spotted in Relix by way of the Steve Hoffman Forum:

"The new issue of Relix features an interview with Rhino execs Greg Goldman and Jimmy Edwards on the future of the Grateful Dead vault. While short on specific plans, they did mention that early '07 would see the see the release of an "historic" 3 disc New Years Eve set from The Grateful Dead's backyard.

They plan on issuing future shows in a timely manner but want to be careful not to tax Deadheads' wallets with too many simultaneous releases.

Goldman said "I think you'll continue to see a series of two-track and vault releases, a steady series coming from the band" as well as videos and box sets, Goldman said, lined with bonus tracks and schwag from the vault.

They have not yet decided to continue with the "Dick's Picks" title...."whatever they may be called- and they may be called Dick's Picks still - they will still be the same type of content...fans shouldn't worry about that drying up on them."

The Grateful Dead's recorded legacy is stored in the label's football field sized archive facility in Burbank in three bays lined with shelves 18 feet high and 50 feet deep. "They're living very nicely down there" said Goldman. "We've even constructed a little chain-link fence on the aisle to make it very clear that this is a special area, and you can't just walk in and browse among the Grateful Dead tapes".

---------

NYE eh? The "from (their own) backyard" bit doesn't really narrow it down. '78 has been released. No NYE show in '73 though some of the boys played with the Allman Brothers. Wonder what it will be? Unless it's '70 or earlier I doubt I'll be interested as the NYE shows that I have I never considered to be among the better ones of the year.

I also remember a New Years Eve show at the Cow Palace. Santana led off. It was probably 76 or 77. I can't recall the quality of the show very well. I was REALLY smashed. :g

Cow Palace was 1976--a decent show at that.

There are 22 possibilities! But there are only so many shows that run into 3 disc space, and that are classic. 1966 unavailable. 1967 no show. 1968, too short. 1969 is decent, 1970 is sloppy.1971--opening with Dancing in the Streets, The Same Thing, the whole show a culmination of that great Fall 1971 vibe--with Keith newly in the band? Classic Other One and NFA--Going Down the Road---NFA sequence? Show only available as an FM source? Or 1972? Classic jamming, though set one is a tad lackluster. 1973-4-5 don't exist. 1976, 77 relatively short and uneventful, 1978 already released.

Must confess I haven't heard 1981

Hmm 1982 with Etta James? After that? The yawns deepen.

Oh--and 1987 is already on video.

Do we get a vote?

Edited by orchiddoctor

The '72 NYE from Winterland is pretty nice, from what I recall of the radio broadcast tape. I would assert the '81 NYE at the Oakland Aud was one of the best shows in many many years. Really hot playing, gives a strong case that the Dead were as good as ever on the really blazing nights.

Yes, I have the '72 on cdr lying around somewhere. A nice l-o-n-g TOO followed by Morning Dew, IIRC.

Edited by Chalupa

I'm with ya Tony.

Wish that Winterland set were coming out!

Yeah, that 1971. Of course it was one of the first sbds I got. That, and Cincinatti 1971 which a friend did for me, and the Felt Forum Radio cast. When you've got only a few tapes, you get very familair with them. On the last instrumental break in Goin' Down the Road, Jerry cuts loose into the stratosphere--just rips it. And the final wailing on NFA--Pig and Bobby--well, just seemed like they saved something up for it.

So many New Year's concerts seem to find the boys playing like the just want to finish off the year and go party. Check out some of the shows right before New Year's. Kind of like a runner who peaks before the last fifty yards.