The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

There's a good reason why 5/8/77 has never been released as a DP. It's not in the Vault.

5/8/77 is part of a cache of tapes know as the " Betty Boards". "Betty" is Betty Cantor-Jackson who was a member of the Dead's sound crew. She made some wonderful recordings. Anyway, the story that I heard was that she had a bad coke addiction going on and was fired by the band in the mid 80's. Apparently she was in posession of a number of shows that she had recorded. This was back in day before Dick decided organize the Dead's vast concert tapes to create "The Vault". Anyway, she was evicted from her apartment and she put her stuff/tapes into storage. When she stopped paying for storage her belongings were sold at auction.

Many Betty Boards are available for download at:

http://forums.etree.org/viewtopic.php?t=6649

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is amazing that they still refuse to release the 5/8/77 concert commerically. The soundboard is excellent. There is absolutely no reason not to do it. Of course, it shouldn't be called a "Dick's Pick," given the fact that Dick considered the concert too overrated for release (but at the same time proposed that the version of Morning Dew is the greatest of all time).

There's a good reason why 5/8/77 has never been released as a DP. It's not in the Vault.

5/8/77 is part of a cache of tapes know as the " Betty Boards". "Betty" is Betty Cantor-Jackson who was a member of the Dead's sound crew. She made some wonderful recordings. Anyway, the story that I heard was that she had a bad coke addiction going on and was fired by the band in the mid 80's. Apparently she was in posession of a number of shows that she had recorded. This was back in day before Dick decided organize the Dead's vast concert tapes to create "The Vault". Anyway, she was evicted from her apartment and she put her stuff/tapes into storage. When she stopped paying for storage her belongings were sold at auction.

http://www.nii.net/~obie1/deadcd/betty_board_info.htm

Also, IIRC... there are two nasty cuts that need to be patched.

Interesting. I didn't realize that. On the other hand, it would seem a rather easy task to find a good sound source for a legitmate release that patches up what needs to be patched. If Betty had copyright, that would be a different matter.

Edited by John L

• 2 weeks later...

here we go:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...&id=1642798

No other info at this time--although several posters at other sites picked up one of my sarcastic posts and mistook it for real, attributing it to Rhino!:

This is in a forum at Jerome's

"Rhino posted this on their web site this morning:

Grateful Dead: Three From the Vault. This release will be a departure from the previous two releases in that it will feature the artistry of the lateRon McKernan, a.k.a. Pigpen. Pig was for a time the true leader of the Grateful Dead, and we feel a collection of his best work is long overdue. Included in this special boxed set--which will come with a 20 page booklet from Dennis McNally, will be such

tunes as Bobby Bland's "Turn On Your Lovelight," the late James Brown's "It's a Man's, Man's World," Lightnin' Hopkins' "She's Mine" and "Katie May," The Coasters' hit, "Searchin," Jimmy Reed's "Big Boss Man," "Good Lovin,'" and "In the Midnight Hour." There will be a bonus disc entitled "Yentle Pig" which will contain snippets of the Reverend Ron's various marriage ceremonies and hook ups live on stage."

The link doesn't appear to be there now though!

• 4 weeks later...

I virtually never look at Rolling Stone anymore. But I saw a copy in the airport with an Bob Weir interview. So I checked it out. I was impressed. He is a very intelligent and level-headed individual.

That's what happens when you DON'T take LSD for 60 years!

BTW: Three From The Vault is coming this month. It is 2-19-71--the show planned and mixed 15 years ago for the same release. Some vintage Pig--a superb Smokestack Lightning with Jerry laying on a little slide near the end--crying the blues!

Check out the new Dead.net--a work in progress.

How are things going, Lon?

Thanks for that headsup Bill. Been thinking of emailing you.

Sort of a setback lately with my wife's counts. Going to Houston again tomorrow for a bone marrow aspiration biopsy and not too happy about it. . . .

Been off the Dead wagon for a while, got wrapped up in a lot of AFRS Jubilee shows and Duke Ellington Treasury Shows, but I got to get back on the Dead trip!

Thanks for that headsup Bill. Been thinking of emailing you.

Sort of a setback lately with my wife's counts. Going to Houston again tomorrow for a bone marrow aspiration biopsy and not too happy about it. . . .

Been off the Dead wagon for a while, got wrapped up in a lot of AFRS Jubilee shows and Duke Ellington Treasury Shows, but I got to get back on the Dead trip!

So I go to the Dead Store to pre-order the new Vault release, clicking through the various stages to ka-ching when up flashes the following shipping price to Australia: "UPS Worldwide Expedited - Shipping Cost: $78.20."

Hello?

Does the phrase "Get Fucked" mean anything to you? :P

Given I had a heap of problems from them on my last order, I can only conclude that the Dead out-sourcing its merchandising is a debacle.

Amazon here I come. :cool:

I wonder how much to mail the set USPS to Australia? Certainly won't be $78.00!!!

No it won't. But that IS what I was quoted.

After previous hassles with them, I'm well beyond trying to sort out what the price would be. Amazon is easier, cheaper and hassle-free. Which ain't a good look for the band.

Sundog, methinks that a certain Orchid doc has some explaining to do to you! :P

That's what I get for "skimming" the thread. :blush:

Man, did I have fun with that one. I posted it on the archive.org g.d. thread several months ago, and it got picked up and reposted all over the place. "Yentle Pig"?

The "bonus disc" is actually a repeat of the bonus material from the Rhino Anthem reissue in the box set. Kind of a slap in the face rip off.

With so much unreleased material (at least not remastered officially), it's a shame that they are already repackaging what we already have.

But, then, Rhino is a division of Warner Bros.

• 1 month later...