The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy Birthday Bill! Many more happy happy ones!

Thanks guys :cool:

But I am confused. Did you mean someone vintage to suck pig? Get porked? Or are you calling me vintage? Please clarify.

Be careful what you write, for the PEN is mightier than the sword!!!!

I'm heading up to the mountains on this cold but sunny day to listen once again to the Good Lovin--Caution from Copenhagen and maybe a nice slice of 1969.

Happy Birthday Bill! Many more happy happy ones!

Thanks guys :cool:

But I am confused. Did you mean someone vintage to suck pig? Get porked? Or are you calling me vintage? Please clarify.

Be careful what you write, for the PEN is mightier than the sword!!!!

I'm heading up to the mountains on this cold but sunny day to listen once again to the Good Lovin--Caution from Copenhagen and maybe a nice slice of 1969.

Sorry, Bill. I see that the use of "Pig" and "suck" in the same sentence is already enough to send you through the roof. :)

A good Dead week just got even better. A new cleaned-up version of 10-21-78 is now being torrented everywhere. This is one of the all-time great ones. Git it git it git it! Worth the download just for the Hamza El-Din jam.

There's also a Charlie Miller version of 6-10-73 that's popped up. Smoothed some things out. I think it's on shnflac. I've been trying to cut down, so I'm trying to resist until it appears on dime.

I know, what's the difference, but sometimes I have to play these games to think I have my habit under control.

I believe its two track because its getting the From The Vault HDCD remaster treatment. I have a friend who works with their production company who has a promo for it and he says the sound is out of this world.

11-11-73 is one of those mythical shows along the lines 5-8-77 and it features the return of To Lay Me Down in the set list since early 1970.

Fall 73 (mid Oct to early Dec) is my favorite period of Dead to listen to so I am pretty excited about this.

Edited by WorldB3

11/10/73 contains one of 3 Playing sandwiches (Playing>Uncle John's>Morning Dew>Uncle John's>Playing.) Always good to have something like that on the public record. For the record Dick's Pick 24 (Cow Palace, 3/23/74) contains the last, so 11/17/73 will be the only one not released.

11/11/73 has one of the more beautiful Dark Stars, with the MInd Left Body Jam into Eyes, and then into China Doll. Just one of those great 2nd sets. Sure they had a lot of them in '73, but it is well worth getting "the treatment." The first set isn't bad either, with a great transition between the China>Rider and a Weather Report Suite. It's an all-time classic show.

Compared to the other nights 11/09 gets overlooked as it's just another excellent night in '73. Maybe they'd better serve the public if they switched out the 9th for the 2nd set from the 14th in San Diego, or include 10/25 Madison instead (it deserves release), but it'd break up the continuity.

I think the packaging is a appealing as it's a 3 night run and that the circulating copies have had some painful cuts on important songs like Eyes and the WRS, so they're doing a service even for the hardcore collectors.

I really hope they turn their attention to Texas '72, as those shows would benefit tremendously from professional cleaning, and the band was so "muscular" for lack of a better term on that run. Or at least "Road Trip" the Hofheinz.

Just got this in an email....

>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

>

>DEADHEADS FOR OBAMA AT THE WARFIELD JUST ANNOUNCED!

>

>DEADHEADS FOR OBAMA

>featuring

>BOB WEIR, MICKEY HART, PHIL LESH & FRIENDS

>The Warfield Theatre

>Monday, February 4, Doors 6:00 PM/ Show 7:30PM

>Tickets are $35.00 general admission (main floor) and

>$35.00 reserved seating (balcony) plus applicable service

>charges...all ages

>Two-ticket limit per person.

>Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster.com ONLY

>Will Call only event

>

>Deadheads for Obama

>

>Grateful Dead Members to Reunite for Barack Obama

>

>(San Francisco) Members of the Grateful Dead will host a get out the

>vote concert in support of Democratic Presidential candidate Barack

>Obama on Monday, February 4th at The Warfield Theatre in San

>Francisco.

>

>Mickey Hart, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir, joined by Jackie Greene, John

>Molo, and Steve Molitz, will play a show together in support of

>Barack Obama.

>

>The video website Iclips will be producing a live simulcast streamed

>via the Internet on www.iclips.net at approximately 7:30pm PST.

>

>This will mark the first time that the members of the legendary band

>have performed together since 2004. They have agreed to reunite for

>this one-time-only event in order to lend support to Senator Obama

>leading into the crucial "Super- Tuesday" series of primaries held

>on Tuesday, February 5th.

>

>PLEASE NOTE: Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster.com

>ONLY. Tickets will NOT be available at the box offices,

>charge-by-phone or Ticketmaster outlets. Two-ticket limit per

>person. Tickets are non-transferable. No refunds or exchanges. A

>service charge is added to each ticket price. In the spirit of fair

>access to tickets for fans, this is a "WILL CALL ONLY" event. UPS

>and Ticketfast will not be available as delivery choices. You must

>bring your government issued photo ID and your credit card used to

>purchase the tickets to the box office window on the day of the show

>to retrieve these tickets. You and your guest must enter the venue

>directly upon picking up your order. **Will Call tickets are not

>transferable and must be picked up by card holder. Alternate names

>for will call are not allowed. No will call drop-offs permitted.**

>*** TICKETMASTER, AT ITS DISCRETION, WILL CANCEL ANY AND ALL ORDERS

>THAT EXCEED THE TICKET LIMIT WITHOUT NOTICE. THIS INCLUDES DUPLICATE

>ORDERS HAVING THE SAME NAME, BILLING ADDRESS OR CREDIT CARD. ***

>

Drum roll please . . . .

2-14-68 Charlie Miller Upgrade complete with patch from Anthem (no more ugly cut).

Shnflac.

Hop on it kids!

Yep. You always knew in your heart that the missing piece of this life-altering show could be patched from Anthem, right?

Required listening, folks. This one will be on the test.

Drum roll please . . . .

2-14-68 Charlie Miller Upgrade complete with patch from Anthem (no more ugly cut).

Shnflac.

Hop on it kids!

Yep. You always knew in your heart that the missing piece of this life-altering show could be patched from Anthem, right?

Required listening, folks. This one will be on the test.

This one is the test! Easily in my top ten (of course that's limited to 1966-72).

Let's raise a glass to Uncle Charlie--that man deserves to be canonized, at least!

Another compilation

Road Trips Series -- February 4, 2008

New Road Trips 2-CD Set

In this, the second volume of our new Road Trips series, lovingly compiled and painstakingly mastered (in HDCD), we take a blazing swing through the Southwest - Colorado and down to Louisiana circa October 1977.

Special Offer

Early orders of Road Trips: Volume One, Number Two will get a special limited edition Bonus Disc containing a dazzling plethora of additional tunes from the same tour.

roadtrips2_cover_250x250.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Another compilation

Road Trips Series -- February 4, 2008

New Road Trips 2-CD Set

In this, the second volume of our new Road Trips series, lovingly compiled and painstakingly mastered (in HDCD), we take a blazing swing through the Southwest - Colorado and down to Louisiana circa October 1977.

Special Offer

Early orders of Road Trips: Volume One, Number Two will get a special limited edition Bonus Disc containing a dazzling plethora of additional tunes from the same tour.

roadtrips2_cover_250x250.jpg

Their free listening party of disc one seems to be overloading their servers (at 2:30 Pacific that is.) If you visit the deadnetstore.com you'll be able to view the tracklisting details (and order of course.)

Disc 1 leads off with "Let It Grow," which is a pretty strange way of doing things, though it sure telegraphs that this is a comp. It ends with the Help>Slip>Frank from Norman, OK. That's a good one!

Disc 2 includes the following:

Playing - Hofheinz

Drums - Hofheinz

Other One -Baton Rouge

Good Lovin' - Baton Rouge

Terrapin - Baton Rouge

Black Peter - Baton Rouge

Around & Around - Baton Rouge

Brokedown Hofheinz

Playin Reprise Hofheinz

So other than an edit after the Drums from Hofheinz, the rest of Baton Rouge will be seamless with "no tricks." Weirdly enough the Hofheinz Brokedown>Playing Reprise was an encore. Gotta love those guys. :) It is really cool how they pull it off btw.

Bonus stuff they more freely ID, such as the Scarlet>Fire from Baton Rouge. The 2nd ever "Iko Iko" would be from 10-7 Albuquerque. In case Matthew is lurking there's a "Sunrise" just for you on the bonus disc. ;)

Not sure what I'm going to do. I already own about 40 shows from '77, including Norman & Hofheinz. Though oddly enough I was thinking I should upgrade my Rochester 11/5/77 and get the DP. (It's a sickness, no doubt.) I suppose I should sample my Hofheinz, and the Baton Rouge section would be new to my ears. And I do have a HDCD player...

Edited by Quincy