jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Spin records of Newcastle have just announced a sept 30 release date for Rockin the Cradle Egypt .1978 2 cds plus dvd and the usual extra cd for preorders!Nothing on Dead Net that I can see...

Hmm...I guess it had to be done eventually, but I've never cared much for this material. In fact I gave mine away years ago. Maybe through the magic of editing they can piece together something decent but I'll probably pass.

I remember back in college reading that these shows were being considered for an album back then and were rejected by the entire band. What gives?

The setlists were kind of dull and their playing was off. Odd tempos, uncertainty, poor execution...Typical of the band when things didn't click, the difference being that they (mostly) stunk it up amongst the pyramids rather than just another night on tour in America. The Shakedown is decent and I guess the "Ollin Arageed" is something different that some might enjoy.

It would be cool to see the DVD would be cool either way.

You can play "where's Bill Walton." ;)

The band was reportedly way high, the music is tentative and weird for that time. They played one of the best shows of that era about six weeks before, get 7-08-78 if you don't have it. As usual with official product, it really serves the suits best of all. (FTV 3 = major waste, in my snotty opinion.) I guess the DVD could be cool if we can see the whole Sound and Light Theatre scene. The show at Giants Stadium just before Egypt was really good, as were the Winterland shows in October. I am ready for easy downloads from a big catalog, the band should have its own online by-the-track music store by now.

I see that on ebay ppl are already selling the Winterland set for 185 or so. I actually wrote one of these sellers and asked why he was selling the set for so much when you can buy it on dead.net for 99 bucks. The reply was "I'm selling it for 185 because I can." If there is actually anyone out there that is stupid enough to buy it for this much, I hope they can't reproduce.

I see that on ebay ppl are already selling the Winterland set for 185 or so. I actually wrote one of these sellers and asked why he was selling the set for so much when you can buy it on dead.net for 99 bucks. The reply was "I'm selling it for 185 because I can." If there is actually anyone out there that is stupid enough to buy it for this much, I hope they can't reproduce.

I met a guy at a flea market who sells $2 bills for $5. The same $2 bills you can get at any bank. And people wonder why there's a mortgage crisis.

-edited to turn "bill" into "bills."

Edited by Quincy

I met a guy at a flea market who sells $2 bills for $5. The same $2 bills you can get at any bank. And people wonder why there's a mortgage crisis.

-edited to turn "bill" into "bills."

Darwinism at its finest ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sources confirm that the surviving members of the Grateful Dead -- guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh,and drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann -- are planning to tour in April and May of 2009. There's no word yet on the band's configuration -- previous configurations of "The Dead" and The Other Ones have included singer-guitar hero Warren Haynes, guitar ace Jimmy Herring, singer-guitarist Susan Tedeschi, singer Joan Osborne, keyboardists Jeff Chimenti and Rob Baracco, and guitarists Mark Karan and Steve Kimock.

More here.....

http://current.com/items/89251626_survivin...r_obama_benefit

• 2 weeks later...

The Winterland Oct-78 stuff is essential, especially if you like the post-74 sound. The two latest download releases, complete shows from Nov-79, are probably pretty good but worth waiting on word-of-mouth. I could not fathom why they included a very weak (but the tour's only) Dew on that Fall-79 tour release, and now with the Egypt stuff, I have to wonder how Rhino is picking music for release. 1979 was OK, but in hindsight was a re-development period for the GD's sound and familiarity with their keyboardist. By the Spring of 1980, the band was really blazing again in my opinion (e.g. 5-10-80 w/ Comes A Time, UJB etc). If any of you is feeling really ambitious, look for free aud downloads of the Spring 1980 shows, and a 4 show mini tour of the Southeast in late Nov-1980 (for sure get 11-29 and 11-30-80...).

I remember back in college reading that these shows were being considered for an album back then and were rejected by the entire band. What gives?

It would be cool to see the DVD would be cool either way.

The piano was way out of tune ( for starters). The "From Egypt With Love" shows that followed at Winterland are much better.

They did this box simply to cash in.