The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Listening to Dick's Picks 31 (8/6/74), and is it ever a wild one, and that disk four is complete killer; Eyes Of The World>Playing In The Band>Scarlet Begonias>Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band. I would have loved to heard where Eyes Of The World would have gone if the crowd didn't get out of control, even so, it's still one of the best ever.

how is the sound on this one? some of DPs were pretty flat soundwise.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening to Dick's Picks 31 (8/6/74), and is it ever a wild one, and that disk four is complete killer; Eyes Of The World>Playing In The Band>Scarlet Begonias>Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band. I would have loved to heard where Eyes Of The World would have gone if the crowd didn't get out of control, even so, it's still one of the best ever.

how is the sound on this one? some of DPs were pretty flat soundwise.

Sound is pretty good. It's a HDCD, so that makes a difference if your system has HDCD capability.

The latest Road Trips is a heavyweight champ 2-14-1968

Though this show circulates in superb quality thanks to the efforts of Charlie Miller, they are adding some extras to try to get people who already have the show.

Disc One:

MORNING DEW

GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL

DARK STAR>

CHINA CAT SUNFLOWER>

THE ELEVEN>

TURN ON YOUR LOVELIGHT

Bonus tracks from Early 1968

VIOLA LEE BLUES (1/20/68 Eureka)

BEAT IT ON DOWN THE LINE (1/23/68 Seattle)

HURTS ME TOO (1/23/68 Seattle)

DARK STAR (2/2/68 Portland)

Disc Two:

THAT'S IT FOR THE OTHER ONE>

NEW POTATO CABOOSE>

BORN CROSS-EYED>

SPANISH JAM

ALLIGATOR>

CAUTION (DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS)>

FEEDBACK

IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR

Bonus Disc:

VIOLA LEE BLUES (1/23/68 Seattle)

GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL (1/20/68 Eureka)

NEW POTATO CABOOSE (1/30/68 Eugene)

DARK STAR> (1/23/68 Seattle)

CHINA CAT SUNFLOWER> (1/23/68 Seattle)

THE ELEVEN (1/23/68 Seattle)

TURN ON YOUR LOVELIGHT (1/23/68 Seattle)

Whoo-hoo, throwing a bone to Eugene Oregon too. :)

I went ahead a finally ordered Road Trips 2-14-68, along with Pure Jerry Marin Vet's, 2/28/86 and To Terrapin: Hartford '77, not like I don't have enough Dead as it is. I guess I can skip Turn Out Your Love Light from the '68 concert -- gosh, do I ever hate that song! I've never been a fan of McKernan's raps...

Edited by Matthew

I went ahead a finally ordered Road Trips 2-14-68, along with Pure Jerry Marin Vet's, 2/28/86 and To Terrapin: Hartford '77, not like I don't have enough Dead as it is. I guess I can skip Turn Out Your Love Light from the '68 concert -- gosh, do I ever hate that song! I've never been a fan of McKernan's raps...

Let us know how the "Pure Jerry" is. I didn't order it because Jerry's voice was done by then, coma year etc.. but the sample of Bird Song sounded great. I was just spinning Love Light from the Filmore box set yesterday and was loving the energy on it after having to skip that dud of a song Cosmic Charlie.

I should break down and order DP31 since I love 74 so much.

Let us know how the "Pure Jerry" is. I didn't order it because Jerry's voice was done by then, coma year etc.. but the sample of Bird Song sounded great. I was just spinning Love Light from the Filmore box set yesterday and was loving the energy on it after having to skip that dud of a song Cosmic Charlie.

I should break down and order DP31 since I love 74 so much.

You won't be disappointed in DP31, the Jersey Eyes of the World is the best, even better than the one in the Some Many Roads box.

As one who is allergic to long off course Pigpen "Lovelight" raps I think you'll have little problem with this version. The song is under 10 minutes and other than riffing some on "all I need" Pigpen doesn't stray into the pants pocket, the girl next to ya or any of that.

As for the Jerry acoustic...well...the copy I had was recorded nicely, but I gave mine away a couple of years ago. I think they picked this as it required next to nothing in the mastering/mixing dept.

5/28/77 is an excellent show. It's long been a favorite of the less talked about May '77 shows (as in not 5/8 or officially released.) Guess the 2nd set of 5-4 now takes that role. :)

I can't say enough about 2-14-68. The Alligator jam on Anthem of the Sun is lifted from this show--from the drums segment through the "Alligator!" reprise. The full version is around three times as long and ten times as fiesty. Sure, Miller just redid this show in amazing quality--but he was working from 2 track. This release has been mixed off the original 8 track and the sound is as glorious as Anthem's. True, the earlier set is a tad weak, but look at the extras and the bonus discs. 2 x Viola Lee Blues from early 68?

Think of it like this: All the material from the Fillmore West box had been around--but the box is so much better soundwise, etc that it was well worth it. Same here.

Buy it while you can still get the bonus disc.

By the by--check this out:

http://gratefulbreed.blogspot.com/search/l...Grateful%20Dead

Here you will find among other gems the original mix of Aoxomoxoa and the "outtakes." Buncha other fine stuff.

2-14-68 is a scortcher. While the first set is a tad tentative, by the time they get to the Alligator--Caution, they are on fire. The Alligator from drums---the final "Alligator!" cries was used on ANthem of the Sun--in trunjcated version. To hear the whole jam is a treat. ANd, even though C. Miller just did a patched upgrqade, this set is from the 8 tracks--not 2 track. Thus, the whole mix is on a par with the sonic clarity and bite of ANthem. Get it now for the bonus--any 68 Viola Lee is a must--and here you will have two of them!.

BTW cHeck this out:

http://gratefulbreed.blogspot.com/search/l...Grateful%20Dead

This site hosts downloads of the original mix of Aoxomoxoa (so much better IMHO) and the Aoxomoxoa outtakes as well as a bunch of other fine stuff.

Note: I love it when my first post appears to have failed, and I rewrite it only to have them both appear. Sorry!

Edited by orchiddoctor

Think of it like this: All the material from the Fillmore West box had been around--but the box is so much better soundwise, etc that it was well worth it. Same here.

Now see I'm one of the ones that think the Fillmore West Box sounds like crap. Jeffrey Norman BOTCHED the job big time, IMHO. I'll take the Latvala Box mix(even though it's missing a good chunk of 3/2 and has some other mini "cuts of death") which came out about 12 years ago over the hack's work any day. What's sadder still is that the FW box was the best chance that we will probably ever have of getting the complete run out in pristine quality and they blew it. Also, Charlie Miller may have been working from an inferior source but I trust his ears more than I trust Norman's. YMMV.

EDIT:

I might have been a bit overboard in my previous comments. It sounds pretty good actually. My complaints are due to the fact that Norman added A LOT of effects to the mix that were not present in the performance or original recording. If I were not not familiar with the earlier mix versions I probably would have such a strong reaction to Norman's mix. But I've listened to the other mixes so many times that they have written themselves into my DNA.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

So does this sucker.

PJ8_230x105.jpg

WorldB3, Jerry sounds pretty darned good here, to be honest. I'm not that crazy about a lot of '85 Jerry and beyond, but this one, acoustic and mellow, is a good 'un.

I will check it out, coming from you that is high praise. As for the RT how awesome is the VIOLA LEE BLUES from (1/23/68 Seattle)? I can't stop playing it. I think I spend so much of my Dead listening in the 73 and 77 era that I am not use to Jerry sounding like this. The blusey sustains is almost Peter Green like.