Albums similar to kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue?

Nutty

While more contemplative and moody, I think Idle Moments would be a good recommendation.  The feel and instrumentation are different, but it also stands as an album that has a life of it's own. 

Yes. :tup

I was going to suggest Idle Moments. It certainly has a sound, a personality, a mood all its own.

OH HELL YES!!

My fave by GG and one of my all time faves on BN.

Kenny Burrell's own Soul Call, recorded for Prestige on April 7, 1964 and available as Original Jazz Classics CD, has no sax, but Barretto on some tracks, and a great tasteful rhythm section (Will Davis, Martin Rivera & Bill English) - IMHO this comes closest to Midnight Blue, which is one real moody jazz classic.

Both albums even share a tune, under different titles (Mark One on Soul Call). An overlooked Burrell masterpiece, I always felt - it was one of those LPs I immediately replaced when the CD was out.

The 1959 live date from the Village Vanguard with Richard Davis and Roy Haynes on Chess is great, but hard to get.

My RVG of Midnight Blue, BTW, gives April 2, 1967 as recording date, which is nonsense: it was recorded January 7, 1963!!!

B000000Z13.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

One more vote for a Connoisseur reissue of Freedom!!!

Edited by mikeweil

An overlooked Burrell masterpiece, I always felt

B000000Z13.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I agree 1000%. A great session. This has always been among the first things by KB that I recommend. Another overlooked gem, and from the same era, is MOTEN SWING (Columbia sessions, formerly titled BLUESIN' AROUND).

'ROUND MIDNIGHT was a good solid session, with plenty of Burrell lyricism and a nice dose of swing here and there. KB sounded great- he had developed that big sound by that time (using 18" guitars), and was probably at the peak of his powers. Nice selection of tunes, too. The only negative (for me) that brings it down a notch is that an electric piano was used (on 5 of 7 tracks, the other two being a g-b-d trio and a solo guitar piece). Joe Sample and Paul Humphrey replace Wyands and McBrowne on the title track, BTW.

Kenny Burrell's own Soul Call...

...IMHO this comes closest to Midnight Blue, which is one real moody jazz classic.

Both albums even share a tune, under different titles (Mark One on Soul Call).

Forgot to mention... I don't follow you here, Mike. Which two tunes are you comparing- "Mark l" and... ?

Kenny Burrell's own Soul Call...

...IMHO this comes closest to Midnight Blue, which is one real moody jazz classic.

Both albums even share a tune, under different titles (Mark One on Soul Call).

Forgot to mention... I don't follow you here, Mike. Which two tunes are you comparing- "Mark l" and... ?

-_- ... sorry, seems I confused some tunes here. I would have bet my hat "Mark One" was on another album, but I just can't find it. Maybe I simply like that track a bit too much.

-_- ... sorry, seems I confused some tunes here. I would have bet my hat "Mark One" was on another album, but I just can't find it.

Mike, after I posted the question, I had the same thought in the back of my mind. I can't recall now either. I have my collection databased, but can't find anything to clear this up. "Mark 1" is also on Burrell's recent BLUE MUSE CD, but that's not it, obviously...

Actually there are four Turrentine sessions that Burrell appears on:

Jubilee Shout!!!

Hustlin'

Always Something There

The Look Of Love

I don't think it's on any of those...

The only other related piece of information that came into my head is that Burrell's tune "Isabella" has an alternate title ("Opus 21").

There is a CD called Soulero which is a comp of Kenny's Chess material with songs from The Tender gender, Ode to 52nd Street, and My Favorite Things from a Christmas Album. The Tender Gender tunes are cut with a regular piano, bass, drums rhythm section but some of them have a lot of the feel of Midnight Blues in my opinion.