Bird's Saxophone

sheldonm

Not too long after the plasic sax arrived in KC, the museum engaged Jackie McLean to play a few licks on it. They also brought in Max Roach and Richard Davis to accompany him. You shoulda heard that trio!

Gotta admit I'm not fond of the statue. I know folks who really like it, but I also know I'm not alone on this.

Some history about that plastic saxophone, mostly from the Christie's catalogue of the September 8, 1994 auction that included Bird memorabilia from the Chan Parker collection:

'An early 1950s Grafton alto saxophone of cream acrylic plastic, serial number 10265. Made in London, England, sole distributors John E. Dallas and Sons Ltd. with 'Brilhart Ebolin' mouthpiece and cream webbed saxophone strap by Ray Hipman, in original case - the saxophone given to Charlie Parker in circa 1950 by an Englishman and used by him at the Massey Hall Concert May 15, 1953. Although Parker is primarly associated with the King saxophone, he used this Grafton sax on more occasions than the Massey Hall concert. Chan recalls him playing it at the Open Door on May 9th 1954 and he also played it on at least two documented occasions.'

The Grafton saxophone was auctioned for $144,500.

It is listed in the Guinness World Records site:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=43378

There's a lot of interesting things out there on the web about using non brass materials for reed and brass instruments. . . .

One or two scientists seem to have come to the conclusion that if the operation of the valves and openings of the instruments are the same the sound is pretty identical no matter what material you make the body from. But the Grafton had a unique system of springs, keys and pads for the openings, and so it had a different feel and sound---the science claims the sound is from this different form and operation of the springs and pad mechanism and the different structure of the openings. Bird and Ornette seem to really have loved the instrument (Ornette has been quoted as really liking the feel of the instrument especially) but they apparently do develop mechanical problems, and on the road it was very hard to find anyone to repair or adjust the instrument as they do not use the standard technique and parts.

I'd like to try one out sometime because I find them very intriguing instruments. Also find the bambo (Key- and pad-less) saxophones you can find for sale on the internet intriguing as well. Maybe even more so. . . .

eric-dieter-clermont.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Yes, it was the mayor who bid on the Bird horn.

The taxpayers of KC were told that the price on the horn was $119K, not $145K. Maybe there were some other fees added on.

In the same auction, the city bought "five other items" for $21K, the newspaper clippings say, including a piece of Parker music manuscript. No other details offered.