Essential Rare Grooves?

Templejazz

Hi everybody,

I really like the vibe over here on Organissimo and decided to join the fun. Let me open up with a question.

Out of the new Rare Grooves and older ones still available, which are the must haves for someone with a broad taste in music. As of now I only have a couple (Kofi, Easy Walker, The Right Touch)

I've read recs for Patton's Let 'em Roll some of the Lou Donaldson titles...What are some others that are noteworthy? :alien::alien:

Thanks and best regards

-Bill

Edited by Templejazz

You gotta get John Patton's "Boogaloo". It's a little 'out' at times, but it never looses the groove. It's my all-time favorite Patton release, period. Hard to believe it sat in the vaults, unreleased, until 1995. :blink::blink::wacko::wacko:

By the way, Bill, let me extend an offical welcome to you!! - and a hope that you'll stick around and post a bunch here. For me, the vibe here is all of the best things I liked about the old BNBB. B) B) B) :g

Also, here's a couple generic searches for Patton's "Boogaloo"...

eBay search for "john patton boogaloo" and half.com search for "john patton boogaloo"

Damn, neither search has a hit now, but check back later. I think it's the best Rare Groove ever!! :party:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Jack McDuff's Down Home Style and Moon Rappin'

Grant Green's Alive and Carryin' On

Donald Byrd's Electric Byrd is a nice companion to Kofi

One I haven't heard suggested that is essential in my book is the four cd compilation Blue Note Break Beats which is right in line with the Rare Groove series. I found it very informative, as good as a compilation series gets.

:rhappy: :rsmile: :rhappy:

I gotta get that Patton! :excited:

"Boogaloo" is like a terminally groovy version of Larry Young's more 'out' dates. It's the closest Patton ever got to Larry Young's more progressive vision.

Maybe I should be more careful when I talk it up so much --- it's not the "end all and be all" of all groovy music, and I don't want to set people's expectations too high. But I sure as hell like it!!!!!

I really dug a couple from last year's batch - Moon Rappin and the Worm. The Pattons are an absolute must. I think Kofi and Electric Byrd are excellent as well. Two Headed Freap is excellent as well.

I don't think this was ever released as a Rare Groove title (nor has it ever been released on CD in the U.S., as far as I know), but I've always wondered about Lonnie Smith's "Turnin' Point". What with Lee Morgan, Bennie Maupin, Julian Priester, Melvin Sparks, and Idris Muhammad - it's gotta be a monster, yes??? No??? How is it compared to "Think!".

(And, wouldn't it be a highly logical release for the Rare Groove series here in the U.S.???)

I know it's been released on CD in Japan, but I've always been outbid for it on eBay. I see that it's also now in that new Spanish Blue Note series (talked about in another thread), the one with the goofy blue and orange covers.... At least in this case, the cover doesn't change all that much. :rolleyes:

lonnie.gifc2722.jpg

Thanks for the recs folks!

On my list surely for purchase in the next few weeks are Midnight Creeper, Let 'em Roll, Down Home Style, and The Worm. I

've also been eying Henderson's Sunburst. Is that a worthy pickup? I'm not that familiar with his playing or his music.

Keep 'em coming! :excited:

Another vote for MOON RAPPIN'...

This is some bad stuff. At first I wasn't real into it, but I kept listening all last summer riding around in the car. Finally, it dawned on me..."this is some of my favorite Mcduff. Period!"

Something about Moon Rappin' is really hypmotising. :blink:

To my knowledge, "Turning Point" isn't a Rare Grooves. Although it is should be.

Another GREAT one that doesn't get much hype is Groove Holmes "Groovin' With Mister G." I dig his sound on this one and the whole band grooves. Matter of fact, that whole batch of Rare Grooves from last year with the Henderson, Moon Rappin', and Grooving with Mr. G....has become some of my favorites which I didn't expect at all. Thanks Blue Note! Keep 'em comin'! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hit the local used store yesterday and was pleased to find a promo copy of 'BOOGALOO'!! :excited::excited:

Haven't had time to listen to it throroughly but my first impression is that it's very fun music. Simple yet not oversimplified. Very funky. Harold Alexander's tenor playing is probably the first thing that hit me.

I'll report back upon further listening

This place actually had a bunch of Rare Grooves but I passed on them temporarily for Tony Williams' Story of Neptune

Great series... my favorites would be Midnight Creeper (Donaldson), Got a Good Thing Goin' (Patton), Two Headed Freap (Ronnie Foster), and Moon Rappin' (McDuff)...

the whole series is great if you like organ jazz... and I LOVE it! :D:D:D:D:D