Guilty Pleasures

Big Al

I have seen Riddick Bowe's throwing the WBC belt in a trash can as the most telling point in the history of the sport. Because it was essentially done for all intents and purposes at that point. The heavyweight division, especially.

Roy Jones Jr. was entertaining to watch, but he had no serious competition.

But, I agree with you, it simply isn't worth the time and effort to wade through all the shit in order to find a lone pearl every now and then.

I can't do MMA, though.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a local sport it still does well, for a while in Montreal we had a vibrant scene, in the UK they have a brilliant mix of local fighters having rivalries and guys competing in the upper echelon of the sport.. For following the sport the gray market did help carry the flame as it allowed us access that we never had in the late 70s, 80s and 90s in my case

. Personnally I never cared about big names as long as I had a fight or numerous fights with something at stake , not a predictable fight where you could see you had one guy who was clearly there as a jobber it would keep my interest and be watching . But the business is too much about ratio risk/reward so it makes for very conservative matchmaking and not a level field as the moneymakers call all the shots no matter if they are relevant sporting wise or not.

Boxing is a capitalist sport for the best and the worst,, why pander to the few smart boxing fans when you can make more money by screwing the numerous naïve ones.

Among my favourite fights of the last decade or so I loved

Corrales-Castillo I or Monshipour vs Sithchatchawal

Edited by Van Basten II

Cool! I'll check that fight out later when I have some time.

I think the last really great fight was Bowe/Holyfield 1. But, the Taylor/Chavez fight from years before that was one of the last classics.

I thought Shannon Briggs would help resucitate the heavyweight division, but he never advanced past being a technique-free brawler...

And I completely agree with you that many of the better fights I ever saw didn't include big names. We used to have Tuesday Night Fights on one of the cable networks back in the day, and they almost always had some really good quality matches.

I love all kinds of silly TV shows:

Bering Sea Gold - seen them all - a very poorly done show that I watch every Friday night when it's on

Good Rush - the show that spawned the above - slightly better in quality - but I've never missed a show.

Deadliest Catch - a few years ago I missed a few - but I'm back all in

Graveyard Cars - I'm obsessed - I love classic Mopar cars from 66 to 71 and that's what they do - they very slowly restore these cars perfectly. Much better show than any of the above

Top Chef - I've seen every episode of every season - my favorite food show. Brilliant production - as good as Graveyard Cars but much more famous.

Chopped - still love it

Those are probably my favorites - but over the years watched American Chopper, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars and Chasing Classic Cars with differing levels of interest.

Maybe most of all - any Mecum or Barrett Jackson classic car auction.

Steak-Pasty.jpgLN_007610_BP_10.jpg

Cornish pasties with vinegar on (Americans might need to check their dictionaries - this is not as kinky as it sounds).

I thought everyone ate them this way but I was in a pasty shop in Looe a few years back and the looked at me gone out when I asked for vinegar. Must have been a peculiarity of my father's family.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

What is pulled pork?

Made from a pig that has 'lost its maidenhead' (as we say in these parts)?

[There just might be too many colloquialisms in there to make any sense).

It's just slow-cooked pork that either falls apart by itself, or is pulled apart by hand. It is immensely popular here in Missouri, with Kansas City being one of the top BBQ cities in the U.S.

"Pulled pork" refers to the way that the meat is prepared & served. After the pig is roasted, the meat is pulled using tongs.

Alternately, you could have "chopped pork," which means that the meat is cut with a cleaver.

EDIT:

Scott beat me to the explanation. ;)

Edited by HutchFan

Ah, thank you.

I've seen it here - in fact I think I had a pulled pork Vietnamese salad in London last year.

Yeah, my wife and I have made Vietnamese banh mi sliders using pulled pork. So I can imagine it would make a fantastic Vietnamese salad. Now I'm going to have to find a recipe for that!

Haven't watched in forever, but I used to watch 3 or 4 shows at a time on Adult Swim. Still have a weak spot for Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

Not sure if The Venture Bros. was on Adult Swim, but I used to follow that to some extent.

It's not quite as fun when it starts going mainstream though, like Archer.

All of this pulled pork talk has me wondering…how, exactly, is it a guilty pleasure? Aren't guilty pleasures supposed to be things that are normally considered unsavory or embarrassing, yet you take pleasure in indulging?

I was thinking the same thing! Nothing guilty about it for me. Just honest enjoyment through and through. ;)