Benny Goodman Capitol Small Group Mosaic

Yes it is the Mosaic I am thinking of going for - I'm just trying to evaluate whether the CD alternatives might meet my needs better - but I can't work out which the CDs are other than the Capitol trios on BN. Maybe that would be enough? LPs can be pricey...

I added Mosaic to the title just to be clear!

Edited by David Ayers

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a really good set - not essential, but worthwhile. I bought this from Mosaic after it went OOP. They actually gave me a discount, I guess they wanted to get rid of it! A great variety of groups here, including some surprisingly good bop sides from the late 40's and vocals - some good, some not so good. Much of this is available separately (as mentioned above) but this is nice to have in one place and interesting to isolate the small group tracks here. I was just listening to and enjoying this last week. :tup

well, after listening to this one i am convinced that BG was the GREATEST clarinet player of ALL time!

:)

:tup

Under the permission of

Buster Bailey

Sidney Bechet

Barney Bigard

Johnny Dodds

Buddy de Franco

Jimmy Giuffre

Edmond Hall

Jimmy Hamilton

George Lewis

Albert Nicholas

Jimmy Noone

Russell Procope

Pee Wee Russell

Tony Scott

Artie Shaw

to name a few! B-)

(note the traditional/mainstream jazz tendency of my list) :rolleyes:

I am convinced that BG was AMONG THE GREATEST clarinet players of all time! :g

well, after listening to this one i am convinced that BG was the GREATEST clarinet player of ALL time!

:)

:tup

No doubt. Was he the single greatest instrumentalist in jazz of all time? I'd say yes.

Under the permission of

Art Tatum

Charlie Parker

(now I´ll shut up!!!) :lol:

Agree with those who say the Goodman Mosaic is very good, but not essential music. I know Benny tried to open up a big tent when it came to the "new" music, but I don't think he ever embraced it.

I got this set on CD at a used record store here in Portland called Birdland for a whopping $25.00, box, booklet and all. This was long before anyone realized the intrinsic value of Mosaic sets and long before e-bay as well.

Sidewinder - I was going to bid on the Powell Verve box last night but when I hit the submit button, I was too late. Please tell me your maximum bid was more than $41.00. That will make me feel a lot better. BTW, you got a helluva deal on that one in the low $30's.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Any of you members of the Benny Goodman coven on this site might want to know of this:On Worlds Records, on one of their sales sites you will find a cd of Goodmans small groups with some 37 or 38 (unless I miscounted) sides for 9 bucks. I am still awaiting mine so I can't attest to the sound quality, but for 9 bucks how much of a risk is that. Enjoy. (You'll find it on the web) :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor concerning the score of the Goodman Mosaic box for $36 sjarrell made note of here a while back...hot damn, that has to qualify as one of the music deals of the century. I just narrowly lost out on an auction for the vinyl set today - shoulda bid a shade over $130 and would probably have got it, and that (according to my searches for winning bids of other auctions) would have been a relative bargain. THIRTY-SIX DOLLARS! Geez...

My interest in this set has been piqued by hearing some of the original 10" records, some of my dad's recent acquisitions. I gotta say that I am inclined to disagree with the lukewarm reviews, with years of hindsight (and without the entrenched preconception of what Goodman "should" sound like) this music really holds up for me.

IMHO, most of the best of this material is collected on...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:j05gtq4znu42

Benny Goodman, Undercurrent Blues.

This may now be out of print, but still readily available.  Snatch it up.  And it's got some rare/unissued material.

That is a great disc, indeed! Some nice Wardell Gray!

These are the CDs that cover the late 40's and early 50's Benny Goodman:

1) Undercurrent Blues on Capitol

2) Complete trios on Capitol

3) "Complete small groups sessions" vol 1 & 2 on Blue Moon

available either as singles or double album

4) "New sextet sessions" on Ocium. That's the group with Teddy Wilson and

Terry Gipps (misspelt on purpose)

You will then have the same and more than the Mosaic set except alternates and perhaps unissues.