Favorite piano solo

Alon Marcus

What does it take to make a good recital/record playing solo? Is it about virtuosity? Imagination and creativity? Original arrangements?

Funny, but one of the first records I have heard when I just started listening to jazz was Monk's solo on Riverside. For some strange reason this angular and weird album attracted my attention. In this case it's the clarity and simplicity that make the recording sound interesting. Monk's improvisations stick to the heads and sometimes have a repetitive/hypnotic quality.

Another favorite solo piano is that of Michel Petrucciani, the double cd recorded at the Champs Elysees. I think the long medley on the first disc is a good yardstick for beginners in jazz (and just fun for the more advanced), while recognizing the songs on it. Michel has a lot of humor in his playing; he varies the textures from sparse to dense and he varies the repertoire (keys and tempi of songs).

One important aspect of solo playing is what you can do with your left hand. Michel, for example, walks sometimes like the best bassist, plays stride and complex boogie woogie lines, uses simple bebop left hand patterns and orchestrates chords in the manner of Bill Evans or McCoy Tyner. I think this technical ability of the left hand is super important.

I also like very much what I heard from the Maybeck recitals. Can't say I'm familiar with more than 25 percents of the recordings but out of them Gene Harris and Stanley Cowell are probably my favorite.

There are many champions in solo playing: Bill Evans, OP, Errol Garner, Chick Corea and more.

Who are your favorites? What is important in your opinion in a solo recital/record?

Edited by ztrauq22

Among the young pianists one of the most interesting solo efforts is Marcus Robert's "The joy of Joplin". A fascinating exploration of ragtime. Don't worry, the album is not plain stride, Marcus decomposes Joplin compositions, adds modern sounds to them, changes rhythms wildly and creates polyphonic mazes with both of his hands. His own compositions are composed in the same complex structure like the rags (not the usual AABA or blues). The liner notes by Marcus are very helpful and informative. This album got cold responses by some reviewers, maybe because the young lions are going now out of favor (seems like a popular trend), but it's a great solo record. Truly recommended.

Edited by ztrauq22

Sometimes it's hard to explain or gather together all the factors that make any jazz performance (solo piano or otherwise) really come alive. But when it happens, you know it, quite apart from any explanation.

When you mention great solo piano recordings, one that comes to my mind immediately is Kenny Barron's Maybeck recital on Concord. Everything is right, good, and satisfying about that CD. I find it a very compelling performance, awe-inspiring, actually. If could take only one solo piano CD to the desert island, this would be it.

The Maybeck series made a good impression on me with Cowell, Gene Harris and Makowicz. Here is an ordered list I made of the releases in the series.

1 ----- Joanne Brackeen

2 ----- Dave McKenna

3 ----- Dick Hyman

4 ----- Walter Norris

5 ----- Stanley Cowell

6 ----- Hal Galper

7 ----- John Hicks

8 ----- Gerry Wiggins

9 ----- Marian McPartland

10 ----- Kenny Barron

11 ----- Roger Kellaway

12 ----- Barry Harris

13 ----- Steve Kuhn

14 ----- Alan Broadbent

15 ----- Buddy Montgomery

16 ----- Hank Jones

17 ----- Jaki Byard

18 ----- Mike Wofford

19 ----- Richie Beirach

20 ----- Jim McNeely

21 ----- Jessica Williams

22 ----- Ellis Larkins

23 ----- Gene Harris

24 ----- Adam Makowicz

25 ----- Cedar Walton

26 ----- Bill Mays

27 ----- Jessica Williams

28 ----- Andy Laverne

29 ----- John Campbell

30 ----- Ralph Sutton

31 ----- Fred Hersch

32 ----- Roland Hanna

33 ----- Don Friedman

34 ----- Kenny Werner

35 ----- George Cables

36 ----- Toshiko Akiyoshi

37 ----- John Colianni

38 ----- Ted Rosenthal

39 ----- Kenny Drew Jr.

40 ----- Monty Alexander

41 ----- Allen Farnham

42 ----- James Williams

By the way I wonder why this thread died so fast. Don't you guys have favorite piano solo recordings? Was there a thread on the topic in the past?

:huh:

Allow me to fill your table out a bit... B-)

Joanne Brackeen 1989 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 01 (Concord 4409)

thou swell,dr. chu chow,yesterdays,curved space,my foolish heart,calling carl,i'm old fashioned,strike up the band // + the most beautiful girl in the world,it could happen to you,african aztec

Dave McKenna 1989 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 02 (Concord 4410)

dream dancing,detour ahead,exactly like you,i'm glad there is you,i'm glad i waited for you,teach me tonight,school days,an apple for the teacher,i didn't know about you,c jam blues,limehouse blues,i didn't know what time it was,i wish i knew,i don't know enough about you,i don't know why,you'll never know,i never knew

Dick Hyman 1990-02-14 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 03 (aka "Music Of 1937") (Concord 4415)

introduction,where or when,a foggy day,bob white,someday my prince will come, the folks who live on the hill,bei mir bist du schon,loch lomond,thanks for the memory,in the still of the night,my funny valentine,caravan

Walter Norris 1990-04 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 04 (Concord 4425)

the song is you,round midnight,waltz for walt,scrambled,it's always spring,body and soul // + the best thing for you,darn that dream,modus vivendi

Stanley Cowell 1990 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 05 (Concord 4431)

softly as in a morning sunrise,stompin' at the savoy,i am waiting,nefertiti,jitterbug waltz,stella by starlight,i'll remember april,lament,out of this world,django,big foot (aka air conditioning),little sunny,autumn leaves,cal massey

Hal Galper 1990 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 06 (Concord 4438)

whisper not,it never was you,all god's chillun got rhythm,a kiss to build a dream on ,willow weep for me,the touch of your lips,bemsha swing,detour ahead,airegin

John Hicks 1990-08 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 07 (Concord 4442)

blue in green,all of you,after the rain,speak low,heroes,duke ellington's sound of love,oblivion,contemplation,straighten up and fly right // + blues for maybeck recital hall,rhythm a ning

Gerald Wiggins 1990 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 08 (Concord 4450)

yesterdays,my ship,all the things you are,night mist blues,body and soul,easy to love,you're mine you,i should care,don't blame me,take the a train,berkeley blues, lullaby of the leaves

Marian McPartland 1991-01-20 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 09 (Concord 4460)

this time the dream's on me,a fine romance,willow weep for me,twilight world, clothed woman,prelude to a kiss,theme from piano jazz,easy living,things ain't what they used to be,i should care,my funny valentine,turn around,it's you or no one,i'll be around // + the duke,love you madly

Kenny Barron 1990-12-03 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 10 (Concord 4466)

i'm getting sentimental over you,spring is here,well you needn't,skylark,and then again,sunshower,witchcraft,bud-like

Roger Kellaway 1991 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 11 (Concord 4470)

how deep is the ocean,i'm still in love with you,love of my life,close your eyes,new orleans,my one and only love,creole love call,i'm getting sentimental over you

Barry Harris 1990 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 12 (Concord 4476)

it could happen to you,all god's chillun got rhythm,she,cherokee,gone again,lucky day,it never entered my mind,meet the flintstones,i love lucy,would you like to take a walk // + i'll keep loving you,parker's mood

Steve Kuhn 1991 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 13 (Concord 4484)

old folks,solar,don't explain,i remember you,autumn in new york,the meaning of the blues

Alan Broadbent 1991 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 14 (Concord 4488)

i hear a rhapsody,oleo,you've changed,lennie's pennies,strollin',peace,nardis, woody'n i,sweet and lovely,mendocino nights,parisian thoroughfare // + upper manhattan medical group (U.M.M.G.),don't ask why

Buddy Montgomery 1991 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 15 (Concord 4494)

since i fell for you,the man i love,a cottage for sale,who cares,the night has a thousand eyes,how to handle a woman,what'll i do,you've changed,money blues, by myself,this time i'll be sweeter,soft winds,my lord and master / something wonderful

Hank Jones 1991 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 16 (Concord 4502)

i guess i'll have to change my plan,it's the talk of the town,the very thought of you, the night we called it a day,bluesette,a child is born,what is this thing called love,oh what a beautiful morning,six and four,i cover the waterfront,memories of you,blue monk,round midnight,oh look at me now

Jaki Byard 1991-09-08 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 17 (Concord 4511)

hello young lovers,tribute to the ticklers,my one and only love,european episode, collage of thelonious monk: round midnight,friday the 13th,ruby my dear,dedication to art blakey,walter davis,leonard bernstein and aaron copeland,family suite

Mike Wofford 1991-09-29 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 18 (Concord 4514)

tonk,too marvelous for words,stablemates,for woff,one to one,rose of the rio grande,little girl blue,duke's place,mainstem,topsy,impresiones intimas #1,lullaby in rhythm

Richie Beirach 1992-01-05 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 19 (Concord 4518)

all the things you are,on green dolphin street,some other time,you don't know what love is,spring is here,all blues,over the rainbow,small world,in the wee small hours of the morning,round midnight,remember,elm

Jim McNeely 1992 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 20 (Concord 4522)

there will never be another you,zingaro (portrait in black and white),bye ya,round midnight,un poco loco,touch,all the things you are,body and soul,breaking up breaking out

Jessica Williams 1992 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 21 (Concord 4525)

why do i love you,the nearness of you,kristen,i'm confessin' that i love you,i'm getting sentimental over you,summer song,it's easy to remember,nice work if you can get it,blue tuesday,i remember bill

Ellis Larkins 1992 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 22 (Concord 4533)

howdja like to love me,perfume and rain,lady be good,i don't want to cry anymore, blue skies,no more / god bless the child,i let a song go out of my heart,spring will be a little late this year,leave me alone,things ain't what they used to be,when a woman loves a man / i'm through with love

Gene Harris 1992 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 23 (Concord 4536)

lu's blues,penthouse serenade,old folks,in the wee small hours of the morning, elephant blossom blues,my funny valentine,they can't take that away from me, blues for rhonda,angel eyes,errol's theme

Adam Makowicz 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 24 (Concord 4541)

tatum on my mind,get out of town,easy to love,i get a kick out of you,you do something to me,i concentrate on you,you'd be so nice to come home to,night and day,begin the beguine,love for sale,just one of those things

Cedar Walton 1992-08-09 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 25 (Concord 4546)

the maybeck blues,sweet lorraine,stella by starlight,darn that dream,zingaro, caminhos cruzados,bremond's blues,you're my everything,the meaning of the blues ,i'm old fashioned,i didn't know what time it was,just one of those things

Bill Mays 1992-09-27 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 26 (Concord 4567)

a nightingale sang in berkeley square,i wish i knew,stompin' at the savoy, boardwalk blues,lush life,i'm confessin' that i love you,guess i'll hang my tears out to dry,jitterbug waltz,thanksgiving prayer,why did i choose you,never let me go, grandpa's spells

Denny Zeitlin 1992-10-18 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 27 (Concord 4572)

blues on the side,the girl next door,my man's gone now,lazy bird,round midnight, love for sale,and then i wondered if you knew,country fair,sophisticated lady,the end of a love affair,just passing by,what is this thing called love,fifth house

Andy LaVerne 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 28 (Concord 4577)

yesterdays,i loves you porgy,sweet and lovely,star eyes,my melancholy baby, when you wish upon a star,beautiful love,turn out the stars,moonlight in vermont, impression for piano,stan getz in chappaqua

John Campbell 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 29 (Concord 4581)

just friends,invitation,emily,darn that dream,you and the night and the music,easy to love,i wish i knew,the touch of your lips

Ralph Sutton 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 30 (Concord 4586)

honeysuckle rose,in a mist,clothes line ballet,in the dark,ain't misbehavin',echo of spring,dinah,love lies,russian lullaby,st. louis blues,the viper's drag,after you've gone

Fred Hersch 1993-10-24 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 31 (Concord 4596)

embraceable you,haunted heart,in walked bud,you don't know what love is,if i loved you,heartsong,everything i love,sarabande,the song is you,ramblin',body and soul

Roland Hanna 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 32 (Concord 4604)

love walked in,they can't take that away from me,softly as in a morning sunrise, gershwin medley: fascinatin' rhythm,the man i love,let's call the whole thing off, how long has this been going on,oleo,lush life,this can't be love

Don Friedman 1993 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 33 (Concord 4608)

in your own sweet way,alone together,prelude to a kiss,invitation,memory for scotty,i concentrate on you,how deep is the ocean,sea's breeze

Kenny Werner 1994 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 34 (Concord 4622)

roberta moon,someday my prince will come,in your own sweet way / naima,autumn leaves,try to remember / st. thomas,guru,a child is born

George Cables 1994-01-09 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 35 (Concord 4630)

over the rainbow,helen's song,bess you is my woman now,my man's gone now, someone to watch over me,you don't know what love is,lullaby,everything happens to me,goin' home,little b's poem

Toshiko Akiyoshi 1994-07-10 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 36 (Concord 4635)

the village,come sunday,con alma,polka dots and moonbeams,it was a very good year,the things we did last summer,old devil moon,sophisticated lady,quadrille anyone?,tempus fugit

John Colianni 1995 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 37 (Concord 4643)

blue and sentimental,stardust,what's your story morning glory,it never entered my mind,londonderry air,don't stop the carnival,when your lover has gone,jada,basin street blues,i never knew,baby won't you please come home,tea for two,goodbye, heart shaped box

Ted Rosenthal 1995 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 38 (Concord 4648)

it's all right with me,long ago and far away,lennie's pennies,better you than me, you're a joy,jesu joy of man's desiring,drop me a line,117th street,gone with the wind,hallucinations,you've got to be modernistic

Kenny Drew, Jr. 1995 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 39 (Concord 4653)

stella by starlight,peace,after you,ugly beauty,well you needn't,coral sea,images, straight no chaser,waitin' for my dearie,autumn leaves

Monty Alexander 1995 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 40 (Concord 4658)

when the saints go marching in,when i grow too old to dream,close enough for love ,the serpent,where is love,renewal,island in the sun,estate,for sentimental reasons ,speak low,smile

Allen Farnham 1996 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 41 (Concord 4686)

in your own sweet way,waltz for debby,the carpal tunnel blues,maybeck sketch no. 1,i get a kick out of you,never let me go,witch hunt,maybeck sketch no. 2,i hear a rhapsody,twilight world,lover

James Williams 1996 Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 42 (Concord 4694)

Polka Dots and Moonbeams,Footprints,Dreamsville,I Fall in Love Too Easily,New York,Round Midnight,Inner Urge,Street of Dreams,Blues Etude,Spirtual Medley: Holy, Holy, Holy,Sometimes I Feel Like a motherless child,Blessed Assurance,Why We Sing

I'm still thinking about the original question(s), BTW. I agree with what John said. There are many factors to take into account, and ultimately everybody will have their own areas of focus as well as their own personal favorites.

The piano is such a monster instrument in terms of its potential for allowing a player to create a great variety of sounds and moods. I do like players who take full advantage of that, but I also appreciate subtlety and a relatively soft touch. Understatement, as opposed to the kind of high volume and flamboyance that the instrument also makes available. Having said that, however, I do want to mention Art Tatum. Like a lot of folks, I prefer him in measured doses, but one can not overstate his virtuosity and impact.

One thing about this topic that always puzzles me a bit is the relative scarcity of solo piano recordings. I don't mean that to sound too general. What I mean is that considering the potential for individual performance and expression that the instrument provides as compared to other instruments, it always surprises me that there aren't more solo piano recordings out there. It's also true in terms of the history of guitar recordings, for example, but it's so much more difficult to create solo arrangements on the guitar. Obviously, it's more of a challenge to play solo piano than with a trio, but that challenge seems to be more intimidating to a lot of great players than I would have expected.

Jim thanks again for the Maybeck list, don't worry I was just kidding B-) ("we are not worthy" is taken from a movie called "Wayne's world").

You are right about the scarcity of solo records; I think that the main problem is: "Make it sound interesting for an hour (or more) worth of music"!

A hard task.

Jim thanks again for the Maybeck list, don't worry I was just kidding B-) ("we are not worthy" is taken from a movie called "Wayne's world").

:o:( ... I guess my attempt to respond in the character of Wayne Campbell failed, then. :D BTW, it all began on Saturday Night Live. The film came later, after the success of the recurring "Wayne's World" sketches on the TV show...

Jim thanks again for the Maybeck list, don't worry I was just kidding  B-) ("we are not worthy" is taken from a movie called "Wayne's world").

:o:( ... I guess my attempt to respond in the character of Wayne Campbell failed, then. :D BTW, it all began on Saturday Night Live. The film came later, after the success of the recurring "Wayne's World" sketches on the TV show...

Sorry, :wacko::blink: lost concentration

But I got it now

Sorry to interrupt your Wayne's World discussion (can't add anything to that, I'm afraid), but here's one of my all time favourite solo piano albums:

B000007WAJ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think I prefer this one by a close shave to the San Francisco Riverside. The other Riverside solo already mentioned has a much looser feel to it, which is great, but I don't love it as much as I do the ones above.

Then there's, ahm, God, of course:

27.jpg

And how about Bill Evans solo? I mainly consider him being a trio pianist, but then he made some very nice solo albums, as well!

ubu

I enjoy Abdullah Ibrahim's solo piano recordings, especially the following:

"African Piano" (JAPO/ECM, 1969)

"Fats, Duke & The Monk" (Sackville, 1973)

"Ancient Africa" (Sackville, 1973)

"Ode to Duke Ellington" (WestWind, 1973)

"Autobiography" (Plainisphere, 1978)

"Matsidiso" (Pläne, 1980)

"South African Sunshine" (Pläne, 1980)

"African Dawn" (Enja, 1982)

Another solo piano recording that I've been playing a lot lately is Horace Tapscott's "The Tapscott Sessions, Vol. 10".

Randy Weston has also made some compelling solo piano records. Two favorites are on Cora, "The Healers" (1980) and "Rhythms-Sounds Piano" (1978). More available and almost as fine is "African Nite / Nuit Africain" on Enja (originally on Owl) from 1975.

Paul Bley is another great pianist who has made several solo recordings. I think that "Axis" is my favorite, but they're all worthwhile.

I second the recommendation on Marcus Robersts above - I have all of his CDs, and they are all very interesting. The solo recitals stand out and never grow stale. He takes special care about the selection of pianos and the recorded sound.

One of his solo CDs on RCA Novus was all Xmas tunes - my favourite for that occasion.

Geoffrey Keezer is an excellent solo pianist:

ZeroOne_web.jpg

Read the numerous top reviews on the Dreyfus web pasge.

Jimmy Rowles made a few excellent solo CDs.

Stanley Cowell's Musa Ancestral Streams is another favourite.

And an example from a top item on my list is on my current Blindfold Test :g .

Edited by mikeweil

Marcus Roberts is one of my least favorite jazz piano players. I find his playing has a stiffness and clunky feeling that turns me off. just my personal opinion.

Here are some of the (non-Maybeck) solo piano CDs that I especially like.

Barry Harris - Solo - September

Cedar Walton - Blues For Myself - Red

Michel Petrucciani - Solo-Live - Dreyfus

John Lewis - Evolution - Atlantic

Jimmy Rowles - Plays Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn - Columbia

Eddie Higgins - Time On My Hands - Arbors

Horace Parlan - The Maestro - Steeplechase

Dollar Brand - Anthem For The New Nations - Denon

Ray Bryant - Alone At montreux - Atlantic

Dado Moroni - The Way I Am - Jazz Connaisseur

Walter Davis,Jr. - In Walked Thelonious - Jazz Heritage

Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Himself - Riverside

Peter F

I've never been too impressed with Marcus Roberts, either. Just personal taste, I guess.

Some of my favorites:

Ray Bryant- Plays Ballads And Blues- Jazz Connaisseur

Tommy Flanagan- Alone Too Long- Denon

Roland Hanna- Everything I Love- IPO

Hampton Hawes- The Challenge- RCA Victor

Eddie Higgins- Time On My Hands- Arbors

Eddie Higgins- You Don't Know What Love Is- Venus

Hank Jones- Have You Met Hank Jones- Savoy

Lou Levy- Solo Scene- RCA Victor

Lou Levy- By Myself- Verve Gitanes

Thelonious Monk- The Complete Black Lion And Vogue Recordings Of Thelonious Monk- Mosaic

Thelonious Monk- Monk Alone (The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings, 1962 to 1968) (Solo Monk)- Columbia

Horace Parlan- Alone (The Maestro / Musically Yours)- Steeplechase

Art Tatum- The Complete Pablo Solo Masterpieces- Pablo

Various Pianists- The Complete Master Jazz Piano Series- Mosaic (Master Jazz)

I will add to the list of John and Ubu:

MARYLIN CRISPELL: FOR COLTRANE (LEO)

RAN BLAKE: BREAKTHRU (IAI)

SUN RA: SAINT LOUIS BLUES SOLO PIANO (IAI)

HOWARD RILEY: SINGLENESS (JAZZPRINT)

MARTIAL SOLAL: BLUESINE (SOUL NOTE)

PAUL BLEY: HANDS ON (EVIDENCE)

PAUL BLEY: SWEET TIME (JUSTIN TIME)

MARY LOU WILLIAMS: ZONING (SMITHSONIAN FOLKWAYS)

AKI TAKASE: LE CAHIER DU BAL (LEO)

KEITH TIPPETT: MUJICIAN I/ II (FMP)

KEITH TIPPETT: MUJICIAN III (AUGUST AIR) (FMP)

KEITH TIPPETT: UNE CROIX DANS L'OCEAN (VICTO)

MAL WALDRON: UP DATE (SOUL NOTE)

DON PULLEN: EVIDENCE OF THINGS UNSEEN (BLACK SAINT)

CECIL TAYLOR: FOR OLIM (SOUL NOTE)

CECIL TAYLOR: ERZULIE MAKETH SCENT (FMP)

CECIL TAYLOR: LOOKING (BERLIN VERSION)

And on, and one...

Just today, I received some disks by Johnny Răducanu, a Rumanian bassist/pianist. This excellent site has a discography.

The Confesiuni [Confessions] disks (three volumes) feature some very fine solo piano playing; the latter two volumes are entirely solo piano as a matter of fact. The same applies to the "To His Friends" album from 1996.

Răducanu is a pupil of Iancsi Körössy as far as I have understood and the influence shows. Still, compared to the utterly breathtaking solo pieces by the master, Răducanu's style is a bit tamer, more romantic maybe. Very nice nonetheless and a name to keep in mind I'd say.

The LP of Confessions Vol 3 in currently up on ebay for a Buy It Now price of 10$, I see.

As for Körössy, I only have a handful of solo pieces by him, but those are really utterly awesome. And those performances bring me to your initial question as I have been asking it myself in a way when I first heard Körössy's solo performance of "All The Things You Are." This piece swings like mad and at the same time it touches heavily on the classical virtuoso kind of thing. Körössy's technique is impeccable, his touch very light and precise, yet the overall effort does somehow still display some earthy blues type of thing with heavy hammering when needed.

IOW, I really don't know; AKA, all of the above.

Edited by couw