NBA 2004-2005

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, peace Bruce. :tup

I'm thinking a 7-game thriller Pistons/Heat series will decide the East, and the winner will take down whoever comes out of the West. Duncan looks SLOW, I don't think the Spurs can do it without him healthy.

I hope the Suns can just out-offense everyone all the way to the title, that would be fun to watch.

Sleeper team: Houston--if they can play like they did in Game 1, they're a contender.

I'm thinking a 7-game thriller Pistons/Heat series will decide the East, and the winner will take down whoever comes out of the West.  Duncan looks SLOW, I don't think the Spurs can do it without him healthy.

I doubt it. Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio are going to beat any eastern team because they are better.

Houston is a bit of a sleeper but Dallas played exceptionally poorly in that 1st game and I really don't expect that continue.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

I'm thinking a 7-game thriller Pistons/Heat series will decide the East, and the winner will take down whoever comes out of the West.  Duncan looks SLOW, I don't think the Spurs can do it without him healthy.

I doubt it. Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio are going to beat any eastern team because they are better.

Houston is a bit of a sleeper but Dallas played exceptionally poorly in that 1st game and I really don't expect that continue.

Guy

I don't know about that. Here's Detroit schedule vs. those western teams you mentioned.

Fri Dec 3 at San Antonio L 77-80

Mon Dec 6 at Dallas W 101-85

Mon Jan 17 Phoenix W 94-80

Thu Mar 3 at Phoenix L 97-100

Sun Mar 20 San Antonio W 110-101

Mon Mar 28 Dallas L 88-95

Looks like it's neck and neck. Notice the two losses to San Antonio and Phoenix were by only 3 points, too. I don't think you're giving the Pistons enough credit. As for Houston, the Pistons beat them both times they met this season and quite handily.

Now let's look at the Heat's regular season games against those three western teams:

Thu Nov 11 Dallas L 93-113

Fri Nov 12 at San Antonio L 84-93

Tue Jan 11 at Phoenix L 107-122

Tue Feb 1 at Dallas L 104-109

Sun Feb 13 San Antonio W 96-92

Fri Mar 25 Phoenix W 125-115

Youch! Pretty nasty! I'll take the Pistons vs. any team in the west, thank you!

GO PISTONS!!! :bwallace:

I want Phoenix to win it all, but I don't think they can do it. They haven't got the defense or the boards. The Suns offense will stall against a team that is solid in the half court (San Antonio, Miami, Detroit). The defense will clamp down, and it turns into the Duncan/Shaq/Rasheed low post show. No turnovers, no fastbreaks.

Someone said Shaq didn't look as good during the game as the highlights. I didn't think Duncan looked 100%. My money would be on the defending champs right now.

Unbelievable! Dallas will be watching the playoffs from the sidelines unless Dirk starts performing like the all-star I think he is. He - and the rest of the team - had been kicking royal ass for the last 2 weeks, and now it seems to be choke city. :(

On the flipside, T-mac is playing lights out B-ball. Unfuckingbelievable the way he has stepped up.

I know the series is best of 7, but its looking pretty lame at this point.

Unbelievable! Dallas will be watching the playoffs from the sidelines unless Dirk starts performing like the all-star I think he is. He - and the rest of the team - had been kicking royal ass for the last 2 weeks, and now it seems to be choke city. :(

On the flipside, T-mac is playing lights out B-ball. Unfuckingbelievable the way he has stepped up.

I know the series is best of 7, but its looking pretty lame at this point.

Yeah I can't believe it. Looks like it's going to be Houston vs. Phoenix in the 2nd round, and Houston's played very well against the Suns. Got to give T-Mac his due, he's been terrific.

Guy

Kind of unrelated, but who is coming up with this "Phil Jackson might coach the Knicks next year" crap?  How much did Isiah Thomas pay Jackson for that meeting?  Jackson has a higher likelihood of coaching an NHL team than coaching the Knicks.

Guy

WRONG!!

Phil Jackson's playing career went through New York and they won championships in the duration. He has strong ties to the Knicks. (to answer your question, I don't know who started it)

He would be a bigger fool to go BACK to the Lakers after they turned him down on an extension and resign. AND....... there is another factor..... and it is not Jeannie Buss......hope he does not subject himself to all the crud because of his affection for her; there are better coaching situations available to him. If he comes back to LA, wins a title, they will just can him again period.

B-)

Edited by BruceW

Kind of unrelated, but who is coming up with this "Phil Jackson might coach the Knicks next year" crap?  How much did Isiah Thomas pay Jackson for that meeting?  Jackson has a higher likelihood of coaching an NHL team than coaching the Knicks.

Guy

WRONG!!

Phil Jackson's playing career went through New York and they won championships in the duration. He has strong ties to the Knicks. (to answer your question, I don't know who started it)

Well, if Jackson really does decide to go coach a team saddled with terrible contracts, mediocre players and the worst GM in the league (even worse than the previous Knicks GM!!), then he's much stupider than we all thought. I don't expect him to coach the Lakers either but that's much, much more likely than the Knicks.

Guy

Anything is better than the LA CIRCUS, he will have no dignity left.

Cleveland might be his best bet. They are young and coachable and have a superstar who is not selfish and has many years; they can add a couple more pieces to the puzzle and have a very very strong contender.

Edited by BruceW

I don't think Phil would want to coach the Lakers or the Knicks, barring some miraculous off-season personnel moves. Why ruin his career winning percentage?

Denver sure got stomped tonight, to the point of losing the momentum they had from the game 1 victory.

Suns & Memphis underway...

I don't think Phil would want to coach the Lakers or the Knicks, barring some miraculous off-season personnel moves. Why ruin his career winning percentage?

I totally agree -- it was really an argument over which unlikely event is more likely to happen. I don't see him coaching Cleveland either unless they seriously retool over the postseason. But what about Detroit?

I agree -- the Nuggets game was brutal. I left during their little run in the 3rd quarter and when I came back it was hopeless again.

Guy

Yeah, the Nugs got spanked but they feel good about splitting those two games. The Spurs had to win. Denver has a very good record at home and honestly, they've become a damned good team. Do I think they can win the series? Yes. Do I think they will? No.

Bulls up over the Wizards 2-0. I'm now thinking it will be Bulls in 5. What's funny is that the Wizards still don't have any respect for the Bulls, since they [the Wizards] have more raw talent. But they still don't play team ball as well as the Bulls. And all the offense comes from three starters. Very little bench scoring.(Interesting stat from game 2 -- no one on the Bulls took more than 15 shots, and of the top three Washington players, each at least 16 shots and usually a lot more.) This makes it a little easier to defend against the Wizards, since it is always going to be the same players taking shots. Actually, the Wizards are pretty good, particularly if all three of their top players are on, and with a different coach that emphasized defense and more ball movement they could be a lot better next year.

Yeah, the Nugs got spanked but they feel good about splitting those two games. The Spurs had to win. Denver has a very good record at home and honestly, they've become a damned good team. Do I think they can win the series? Yes. Do I think they will? No.

I totally agree with what Barkley said at half time though -- the Nuggets really fucked up last night. Gave Duncan the chance to rest and gave the Spurs momentum going into game 3. They're going to have to win both 3 & 4.

Guy

I agree

Barkeley, though crude and foul mouthed, has extensive insight into the playoff makeup of teams. He never won a championship but, he knows why. He doesn't mind telling these teams how to win but they are not listening. You have to get past his crudeness and the information is there.

B-)