BT 18 - answers disc 1

mikeweil

Thanks, Mike - I see your next turn is just before mine so I must apply myself with great rigour, I can see.

You wanna switch positions? ;)

No, I'll stick with forty, thanks. I've become rather attached to the number - it somehow has something that thirty-nine does not. ;) Also gives me a little more time - the BFT's are speeding past with great rapidity it seems. Still just a jumble of vague thoughts, firm decisions made and then ditched. I can't imagine that any of the other compilers - past, present or future - suffer quite so much from vacillation as me!

I even found myself enjoying some of the vocals and for sure the organ on #8.

are you feeling okay tooter? ^_^

Well, I was thinking of typhoid, colera and other contagious diseases. Could this be life threatening? :D I'm even considering some vocals for my turn - but not organ - yet, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike sent me this BFT because he wanted to see if I could get the organists. I have to be honest and say that I could tell Mel Rhyne from the first couple notes. But track three, with Worrell... I had no idea. I thought maybe Don Pullen. It sounded like someone who doesn't play organ much, due to his weird registrations. I did not recognize Maceo at all. Strange.

Crazy! Thanks, Mike.

Jim's comments serve as a reminder of a couple of follow-ups I had.

On the Mel Rhyne composition from the Brian Lynch Criss Cross CD: ARRRGGHH!!! Not sure if I mentioned it in the discussion but I definitely recognized the tune when I heard it, but there was no way I was going to track it down.

On Michel Sardaby: if anyone can find it, I heartily recommend Straight On which is a live date with Ralph Moore and Louis Smith in the front line, all Sardaby compositions which sound remarkably like a mid-60s BN. I've seen the Bastards pitching Sardaby trio or solo CDs but have never pulled the trigger. Based on this performance of Lush Life, I might have to correct that!

On the Karl Denson - eggs on my face, cause I do have this one. :ph34r:

Track 7: Carla White: I's Only A Paper Moon (Arlen/Rose/Harburg)

Carla White vocals; Dean Johnson bass. Recorded at Clinton Recording Studio, New York, September 4-5, 1991. From Evidence CD ECD 22109 Listen Here (1995)

I just have to say I did not like this track at all. Just my opinion, but I found her scatting to be... um... pretty boring from a harmonic sense. The way she sings "but it wouldn't be maaAAAaake believe" grates me, too.

Just my opinion.

On Michel Sardaby:  if anyone can find it, I heartily recommend Straight On which is a live date with Ralph Moore and Louis Smith in the front line, all Sardaby compositions which sound remarkably like a mid-60s BN.

Dan, what label is this on?

Sound Hills, a '93 release. Probably tough to find at this point, but a search on GEMM shows a UK seller with one in stock, only $10.00:

http://www.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?&a_refno=GML669178714

I strongly recommend jumping on this!!!!