Zawinul: Zawinul (1970)

Swinger

I've got this on LP. Haven't played it in years. I always did prefer it to Bitches Brew. This was the last thing Joe Zawinul recorded that I liked. Maybe I should cue this one up on the turntable and see if it still sounds good to me. It sort of amazes me tha there is still interest in this electric stuff so long after it proved to be a musical dead end; at least to these ears.

Edited by mailman

Is the current cd edition a decent one or should I wait for its (possible) remastered edition?

Atlantic's sound never was on the level of Columbia or others around that time - that considered, the CD sounds okay to me.

Unpedictable whether there will be a new remastering - I doubt, as long as the older CD is available. All US Atlantic remastering I bought were okay so far - be careful about one European series claiming to replicate "original LP sound"!

This LP sounds to me very much a homage to his Austrian homeland. In parts you can almost sense the herds of cows being herded down the mountain tracks, with the bells ringing (both cows and church that is). Very atmospheric !

If you refer to the last track Arrival in New York: No cows here - if you have an LP and play that last track at 45 rpm, you will hear noises from New York haven and excerpts from the previous tracks.

This LP sounds to me very much a homage to his Austrian homeland. In parts you can almost sense the herds of cows being herded down the mountain tracks, with the bells ringing (both cows and church that is). Very atmospheric !

If you refer to the last track Arrival in New York: No cows here - if you have an LP and play that last track at 45 rpm, you will hear noises from New York haven and excerpts from the previous tracks.

No noises from New York or excerpts from the previous tracks either. MP3 of the two octaves upward shifted "Arrival in New York" aka "Country Preacher".

No noises from New York or excerpts from the previous tracks either. MP3 of the two octaves upward shifted "Arrival in New York" aka "Country Preacher".

This was noted in the original Down Beat review of the album.

Thank you guys.

I placed my order on the same day when I posted this message.I should get the cd very soon.

I've listened to its rather worn vinyl copy at local library and I simply loved it.Very atmospheric as you said.

Speaking of those Weather Report albums...I like the first 4 albums.There are no dull moments on those albums in my opinion.I really don't get it what's so special about their later albums like Heavy Weather.They sound so boooring.

Swinger, I strongly recommend Weather Report's albums "Tale Spinnin'" and "Black Market". They sound great (and are available on recent CDs that are upgrades on earlier CD reissues) and the music has a lot of depth. There is an absolutely magnificent duet by Zawinul and Shorter called "Five Short Stories".

I like the "Heavy Weather" album, but it is one of those that they always list, and I am sick of hearing about it. It has been thrashed to death.