Dave Schnitter

bertrand

I gave the new Sketch release a "B", good but not the great one I think he has in him. He doesn't sound anything like the firebrand he was with Blakey, but it's a very enjoyable CD that grows on me with each listening. I do not regret buying it - or even paying full price for it. And I'd go see him play live in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...

What the hell has he been doing the past 19 years?

Good question...but he sure as hell was a burner when last heard from.

The new album is not really of the barnburner variety.

He's working the same vein of ensemble sound that I associate with Sex Mob--it's a bit self-consciously done, but not nearly as self-conscious as Sex Mob is.

For me it's actually kind of cool to hear this sound without the tiresome, super-sophisticated, "ONLY in downtown NYC" preening of the Bernstein group.

--eric

He toured Europe, loved Europe, stayed in Europe. He's said in interviews that had he stayed in America after leaving Blakey he could have had a bigger career and higher profile, but he dropped off the radar at the height of his success. Schnitter turns up on drummer Jimmy Madison's recording 90 Degrees with 100% Humidity which is nice set of neo-bop, circa 1996.

I saw Schnitter play at the Iridium last month at a Blakey tribute with the late '70's frontline of Watson and Ponomarev (plus Javon Jackson). His sound has certainly lost some of its visceral power from what I've heard from his older recordings, but his soloing takes some very interesting, unexpected turns (though still coming out of a Trane bag).

He toured Europe, loved Europe, stayed in Europe. He's said in interviews that had he stayed in America after leaving Blakey he could have had a bigger career and higher profile, but he dropped off the radar at the height of his success. Schnitter turns up on drummer Jimmy Madison's recording 90 Degrees with 100% Humidity which is nice set of neo-bop, circa 1996.

I think he moved back to NYC from Europe 10-15 years ago, but has mostly been teaching. He's only been drawn back to performing in the last few years.

• 3 years later...

I just ordered Sketch, and was curious about Schnitter's Muse recordings. Is the only way to hear them to find the original vinyl? As you can tell, I haven't heard any of them — which do you like/recommend?

Is Blakey's Heat Wave (with Schnitter) worth plunking down the import price $ to hear? What other Blakey sides feature Schnitter?

I have 2 Schnitters on Muse (vinyl):

"Goliath" (my favorite of the 2)

Hubert Eaves

Cecil McBee

Eddie Moore

Claudio Roditi

"Thundering"

Kenny Barron

Cecil McBee

Billy Hart

Guilherme Franco

Ted Dunbar

Dave w/Blakey that I have on vinyl:

"In My Prime, Vol 1" (Muse) - solid outing by this group

"Gypsy Folk Tales" (Roulette) - excellent high-energy session. one of the best from this period.

"In This Corner" (Concord) - nice live recording from the Keystone Korner

Hubert Eaves

Cecil McBee

Eddie Moore

Claudio Roditi

"Gypsy Folk Tales" (Roulette) - excellent high-energy session. one of the best from this period.

Argh! Now I really want to hear these ...

Another Muse date (Invitation) is a quartet setting with Mickey Tucker on piano. I've just been getting into Tucker's Xanadu sessions, so I'm guessing that's a record I'd like. Schnitter's also on a live 1980 Freddie Hubbard session on Pablo.

I wish eMusic carried the Muse (and Cobblestone et al.) label, even if they were vinyl rips.

post-282-1203839711_thumb.jpg

Hubert Eaves

Cecil McBee

Eddie Moore

Claudio Roditi

Argh! Now I really want to hear these ...

He really changed his sound , I mean nothing on that record sounds like Little Red Corvette or Purple Rain................er , wait a minute .... he did change his name right....... :unsure:

DavidSchnitterGoliathonMuse.jpg

O.K. , expecting everyone to get the David and Goliath connection is one thing , but expecting them to remember the Old Testament details like the sheep is another thing all together :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to Sketch right now. I like it quite a bit. Schnitter sounds like late-period Hank Mobley trying to play like early-period Ornette Coleman — after listening to Masada (while drinking root beer). And I don't mean those reference points as a put-down.

James Zollar, the trumpet player, is pretty good too. The Cherry influence is there, but not too heavy.

Overall, a :tup. Well-recorded as well.