Modern Rock - what do you like???

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My meagre attempt to keep abreast of whats going on in the here-and-now world of music has resulted in interest in the following two groups who have releases this year, probably my favorite records that I've heard by up-and-coming artists in 2009:

Animal Collective - Merriweather Postpavilion

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

But these acts seem almost post-modern or alt-modern, if such a term existed. The release by Animal Collective, for example, (the first I've heard of their's, though I know they have a dedicated following) has shades of Pet Sounds, psychedelic electonica, world dance beats, jungle rhythms and trance-like harmonies. I'm guessing they would be a lot of fun to see live. In particular, "My Girls," "Summertime Clothes," and "Brother Sport" send me to a far-out mental zone. I'm not a raver -- neither in the Floydian sense nor in the late '80s Manchester-Stone Roses-Happy Mondays sense -- and not into rave music but these guys bring something unique and captivating to the table.

Edited by Norm