Anyone else going to the WFMU Record Fair tonight?

Dmitry

A very nice selection of vinyl at yesterday's fair, better than last year. I decided to concentrate on original pressings and obscure stuff this time around. With the help of the vinyl expert Brownie I had no trouble spending the argent. That lasted for about an hour. Financially depleted, but with a small treasure-trove of black gold we departed to a local coffee house for a reflective discussion of things past.

Got a white label promo Coltrane & Cherry, NY address Bud Powell vol.1, NY address Bluesnik, and about 10 other goodies. Time well spent.

Belated impressions of the WFMU Record Fair.

Went there at the early opening on Friday afternoon. The sheer number of record selles and buyers was mindblowing. After a couple of hours going through hundreds of vinyl boxes, was hit by vinyl fatigue ,myself. With the crowd and the noise, searching for rare items just became too much which turned out OK as far as overspending was concerned.

The only plus that opening day was meeting Dmitry who was bright enough to keep his purchases to valuable items.

Went back on the second day (Saturday) and that morning session turned out much better.

There still was a lot of rare items available and more albums from sellers who had not shown up on opening day.

Was intrigued by a person who was in the midst of selling a number of black and white prints to one of the vendors. I recognised that person as Dan Morgenstern and introduced myself. Morgenstern was his usual very friendly self. He also seemed to be suffering from the overwhelmingly noisy proceedings. When I mentioned we were both contributors to the Deus62 Count Basie forum, he did not seem to understand what I was referring to!

Let him go ahead with his business and went back to searching through more boxes. There are a lot of expensive items there but also superb valuable and very reanobaly priced records! Don't know of many places where you can get items such as:

- Marshall Allen with Lou Grassi's PoBand on CIMP,

- Greg Foster/Joel Futterman 'Alabama' on Shipwreck,

- Assif Tsahar/Rashied Ali/Peter Kowald 'Deals, Ideas & Ideals' on Hopscotch,

all three for $10 the lot (all brand new),

and more...

That WFMU fair was something else!

Funny - I went with Dan M. to the WFMU fair last year. This year I didn't go, but spent a few hours with him later that same Friday when he got back to work. As I'm not a "collector" I don't find the fair to be that wonderful. I can get just about all I need at much better prices elsewhere. Dan seems to like it mostly for 78s.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Well, friends, it's that special time of the year again.

The annual WFMU RECORD FAIR is happening the weekend of November 3rd-4th-5th.

I've been in attandence for the last 5 years, and am not planning to miss this one, especially now that I have curtailed my weekly trips to record stores South of 26th Street for one simple reason of not living in NY any more.

Preparations have been made, day off work secured for Friday November 3rd, my record shopping messenger bag dusted off and small bills rolled up and rubber banded.

The countdown begins!

http://www.wfmu.org/recfair/

• 1 month later...

I paid the $20 for the early entry on Friday - not sure if it was worth it since I only walked away with 5 LPs. Some of the prices are crazy, plus my wife has told me to stop buying records - yeah right - that'll happen...

Anyway, I found the following...

3 LPs for $10

Rein De Graaf TIMELESS/MUSE LP - with Ronnie Cuber, Tom Harrell (I have a Cuber XANADU LP with Harrell and enjoy it, so...)

Sonny Stitt CADET LP - SATAN - it's Stitt and it's on Cadet, so it has to be good, right?

Dexter Gordon XANADU LP - forget the title but it has Blue Mitchell, Sam Jones & others

ART TATUM/BENNY CARTER on Clef - NM/VG++ condition for $10

PEE WEE RUSSELL/HENRY RED ALLEN Impulse LP - College Concert - WHITE LABEL PROMO for $7

That's all - nothing else really piqued my interest.

Anyone else go?

Edited by tjluke68

fast/hands/like/Shaolin/Kung/Fu/masters

:lol:

early admission is a ripoff. dealers in well before then. (and I don't mean the ones who rent tables.) I also went Sunday and was about to swear off record collecting until I :angry:bought some high end west coast pieces from a dealer I know for about 40% off Ebay prices. Some dealers actually got pissed off when I walked away when they highballed me. The New York City attitude still lives. (although it is a long grind for dealers).

In all this show is a reflection of New York. Tough , mean and not for the thinskined. :ph34r:

... all you lucky guys -_-

you should come over here to germany where you find on record fairs at least 2 "great" jazz records:

a liberty blue note pressing and a bobby timmons prestige pressing.

wish there would be flights to new york for a 100 $

enjoy your diggin

Edited by jbs-tom

• 2 years later...

Nah...I'm invited to play at some coffee house this evening and I just went to the Princeton Record Exchange a few days ago.

When I lived in Lawrenceville, NJ some 16 years ago- I lived in that place! I found more obscure recordings- I'd like to go and see how it changed since I've been in there....oh and go to Chuck's for some buffalo wings.

This may sound a bit strange but I went to the WFMU record fair and I don't buy vinyl and my turntable doesn't work! I had a free Saturday(wife out for the day), and whenever I can I go to the farmer's market in Union Square. I also had a coupon for $2 off the admission, so it cost me $5 to go there and it's about 7-8 blocks away from the farmer's market. It was a lot of fun, tons of vendors and a vinyl lover's scene for sure. I bought some CDs there and got some good deals, like the first five Mahavishnu discs in a box for $24, a Beau Jacque disc for $4, and on the way out I nabbed a Revolutionary Ensemble disc for $3. I think I saw two or three women there, possibly one without a boyfriend/husband, and mostly a lot of guys who looked like me- middle-aged white guys. It was almost like being in a larger version of Academy!!

Nah...I'm invited to play at some coffee house this evening and I just went to the Princeton Record Exchange a few days ago.

When I lived in Lawrenceville, NJ some 16 years ago- I lived in that place! I found more obscure recordings- I'd like to go and see how it changed since I've been in there....oh and go to Chuck's for some buffalo wings.

I guess I've been going there for 23-24 years now. For a long time I couldn't visit that often, but I've been there 3 times in the past six weeks.

I'd say the big change in the past 16 years is a huge DVD section and more recently less new CDs in stock. I go for the cheap used CDs.

It was almost like being in a larger version of Academy!!

Exactly!