How much TV do you watch?

Anyone else share the view that the "Simpsons" ran out of steam a couple of seasons ago (at least)?  Running on fumes and serialization rights at this point.  Tood bad.  I used to dig this show quite a bit.

hell yeah- I'd say they jumped the shark around season 7-that would have been 1996, I believe. Definitely by 1997. I can only bear to watch Treehouse of Horror now, and even that is approaching lameness. Last night's was worth it to hear the Perfect Strangers' theme though!!

I think it's gone downhill a number of times. What happens (as I see it) is the show declines in quality, then they hire a new gang of writers and the quality spikes upward...then the new writers cycle through or just run out of steam and the show goes down again. And so on. The problem is that with each "rebound" in quality, the highpoint is lower than the previous one. So what we have is a diminishing sine-wave. Just my impression. I barely catch the show anymore, though I watched the latest Treehouse of Horror last night. To be fair, seasons 2, 3, and (most of) 4 are a tough act to follow.

D'oh! :o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 35 years old, and I can count on one hand the number of prime-time network TV shows I've followed closely, during my entire adult life.

There are dozens of classic sit-coms, that I almost never saw until they got into syndication.

This isn't to say that I never watch TV. But I almost never get hooked into watching particular shows.

If I don't count news-related stuff (PBS, C-SPAN, and yes - The Daily Show), I probably watch about 3-4 hours per week, and some weeks barely 1-2 hours.

No "CSI" fans here? I watch both "CSI" and "CSI Miami" most weeks. My wife is a big Gil Grissom fan. I actually think they are pretty good shows, particularly the former, but I have to admit I watch way too many dramas of questionable quality which just happen to be on cable in English. Recently I have been a regular viewer of both "Roswell" and the old Dick Van Dyke series "Diagnosis Murder". No excuses for the latter.

If we're speaking of the TV as an appliance...I watch it quite a bit, but usually it's either a DVD or something on Turner Classic Movies. I also enjoy playing the occasional video game.

As for watching TV shows, I literally went years without watching any series or sitcoms. Just the occasional news show or rerun of The Twilight Zone. That was until....

...I moved back out into the country. All of a sudden there are no video stores, jazz clubs, used book stores, record stores, coffee shops, etc. So the TV has now become my primary link to so-called civilization. Now THAT's scary!

I've gotten back into watching the NFL again, I haven't really followed football since the early 90's. But for some reason I got bit my the football bug this year and I find myself really enjoying it. Even to the point of watching all the football news shows on ESPN. I still don't really watch any series...although I do enjoy the reruns of Law & Order on TNT...I never watched that show until about 6 months ago...so I've got 13 years of reruns to keep my busy. And for a guilty pleasure I watch Charmed occasionally...but of course that has NOTHING to do with the incredible babes featured. :wub: