How much TV do you watch?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I stopped watching tv eight years ago, but our two girls, ages 12 and 17, are fans. We try to limit the younger one to 1 hour a day, but the older girl has a tv in her room, and she uses it more than she should.

If I were to do the child-rearing thing all over again I would do away with tv in my house altogether.

I don't watch a lot of TV. Most people think I'm strange when I don't know what they're talking about re: certain popular programs. I enjoy watching golf on TV (especially the European Tour), The National (nightly Cdn news), and sometimes late-night talk shows. Oh and another show called Trailer Park Boys, that is made in Canada - pretty funny.

I know I shouldn't be using Jim's login, but I couldn't help but add a thought...this is his wife, Alison...

I grew up watching too much TV. I could tell you the order that shows came on the tube at 9 years old. I knew every episode of every show that existed. But there have been times in my life that I didn't watch any or very little, but I do confess that it is a nice release after working all day.

Sometimes I just watch Jeopardy and then whatever follows. Sometimes I am choosy, other times I mindlessly watch stupid stuff.

It does bother me sometimes. I watched quite a bit while I was pregnant and then recovering from the c-section. But I understand why Jim doesn't want us to watch. I don't want to give it up entirely, but I will cut down.

After Jim placed this topic, he came to bed and told me (while I was asleep) that he was only watching 4 hours max a week. I knew he was serious!

The three of us did have a wonderful time at the bookstore the other night. We rarely do anything on a work night. I loved the idea and I would like to do it more.

Thanks for letting me write in.

My watching:

NBA games- not all, but enough to waste a few hours a week.

Reruns of "Seinfeld"

Occasionally Book TV on C-Span

Movies on TCM - unedited, uncut, commercial-free movies, mostly classics.

I also belong to Netflix, so watch 2 or 3 movies a week.

Can't stand most commercial network fare, don't have HBO.

Well...I was planning on watching Boston Legal this year, but so far I've only taped it. My wife and I watch American Dreams on Sunday night. That's it for me, although she has the TV on a few hours a day. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Now, if you're talking DVDs, that's a whole 'nother subject. I usually watch two or three hours of those a week, more if the next Simpsons or something just came out...

Like some of the others here, my TV time has been replaced by computer time...

I used to watch too much, so I got rid of my TV.

Years later I bought one so I could review an advance copy of Ken Burns's Jazz series (yet another evil thing he did!).

But I never got cable, and you can only get like one station on-air up here, so we never watch any TV, though we do occasionally rent something to watch. So, kids: 2 movies/week. Adults: 1 movie/month. And that'd be cheating on the generous side.

I feel like I was able to let go of a second job! I get a lot more reading and thinking done, and people feel good having to expalin things like Survivor or the Apprentice to me.

When I do get to see some TV in a bar or something, I am apalled. (But I keep sneaking glances at it!--That's why I don't have TV, can't not watch no matter what my super ego says.)

--eric

I recently told someone how I don't watch TV "except" and then listed a bunch of time and realised that I watch more than I think!

Daily Show 4x/wk

Jeopardy 1x/wk

Simpsons if it's new

24 (off season now)

Enterprise

Bill Maher

South Park

lots of football on Sundays and Monday nights

3-4 DVDs /wk

Oh well.

I watch very little. My only regular show is "The Simpsons," which I will watch until it goes off the air. My wife is a channel surfer, so every so often I'll sit down and watch a show or two with her if she stops on something I like (which is generally an episode of "Law & Order" or "Law & Order: SVU"). My daughter has a couple of regular shows she likes to catch: "Fairly Oddparents" and "SpongeBob" on Nick. "Teen Titans" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on Cartoon Network. We usually watch a movie as a family once a week. This past Sunday we took in "The Incredibles" which is AMAZING. Too talky for my daughter, but I LOVED it!

I recently told someone how I don't watch TV "except" and then listed a bunch of time and realised that I watch more than I think!

I know what you mean. There are few shows that I'm hooked on, but they do add up:

Lost

ER

Simpsons

Alias

Nip/Tuck

Good Eats (my 3-year old daughter's favorite show!)

Nova

60 Minutes

I can't blame my girls for two of my favorite animated series: The Batman and Justice League Unlimited. I've also been tivo'ing and watching Smallville every night in syndication. Just started Season 2 last week.

:eye:

Anyone else share the view that the "Simpsons" ran out of steam a couple of seasons ago (at least)? Running on fumes and serialization rights at this point. Tood bad. I used to dig this show quite a bit.

hell yeah- I'd say they jumped the shark around season 7-that would have been 1996, I believe. Definitely by 1997. I can only bear to watch Treehouse of Horror now, and even that is approaching lameness. Last night's was worth it to hear the Perfect Strangers' theme though!!