33 Variations on a Waltz by Anton Diabelli

Guy Berger

A while back we discussed Beethoven's piano sonatas and someone told me to check out the Diabelli Variations. I picked up Brendel's 1976 live performance on Philips... wow. It's similar in some ways to the final sonatas (particularly in the heavy use of counterpoint) but different in others.

My favorite variations thus far (besides the final ones) are #4, #8, #14, #16, #17, #19, #24, #26 and #27.

And the last few variations... wow. The Chopin-foreshadowing #31, the crazy fugue in #32, and the enigmatic #33.

Verdict: :tup :tup :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Guy Berger

Does anyone know of a recording of this work on a period piano?

Isn'it ironical that such an insignificant little waltz like Diabelli's has developed into one of the major 'Meisterwerke' for piano of all times...once it got thru Beethoven's hands. :wub:

There are many modern versions to be recommended, but I still like Claudio Arrau's for its classical formal beauty.

For, a recording on a pianoforte, check the discography of Andreas Staier, I think he did it.

Rosen's book "The Classical Style" was translated into German - can't seem to find it right now - did I buy it or not?

He did three CDs of Schumann for the Dutch Globe label under the common title "The Revolutionary Masterpieces":

Vol. 1: Impromptus on a theme by Clara Wieck op.5 & Davidsbündlertänze op.6

Globe GLO 5001 (1983, CD 1988)

Vol. 2: Carnaval op. 9 & Sonata in f sharp minor op. 11

Globe GLO 5009 (dtto.)

Vol. 3: Kreisleriana op. 16 & Dichtungen für das Pianoforte (first version of the Fantasy in C op.17)

Globe GLO 5012 (1983, CD 1989)

This recording is unique as it uses the first editions throughout, which are much more daring than those later published and kept available by his wife. Most performer use the rather censored later editions.

They are all OOP, AFAIK. I could send you a copy if you can't find them - they're great.

Thanks, Michel - but I rather go see the Doug Hammond Trio at a Wiesbaden club tomorrow night than driving 550 km one year from tomorrow to Ingolstadt to hear Staier ... ;)

I wanted to do a search last night but couldn't get on several search engines and German sites.

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 months later...

Because of this thread I decided that it was time to buy a cd of the Diaabelli Variations. I could only find one version at my local Borders and that was by somone I'd never heard of named Uri Caine. I probably should have noticed that he was accompanied by the Concerto Koln but I'd forgotten that the variations are a solo piano piece. (If I'd ever known it to begin with.)

I finally realised that this was not your standard version when he broke into some barrelhouse

piano on variation 16 but I should have noticed as early as variation 2 which sounds awfully modern for Beethoven.

So who is Uri Caine? I looked him up on-line and see that he's done several recordings. Any fans out there?

I do like his variations on the variations but did get Rudolph Serkin's version too. (It came with the 11 bagatelles and the Fantasy in G Minor all on one cd.)