Thanksgiving

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for a Thanksgiving thread to ressurrect and I found one that I started where I was talking about "my wife and I...etc., etc." so I decided not to use THAT one! :rolleyes:

Good call! :tup

We're having a few friends over for the big meal. Mrs. DukeCity is a fine, fine cook, so I have high hopes! Mostly traditional fare. We've been doing some home renovations of late (new windows, new furnace, and some new hardwood flooring), so the house will be extra cozy, and we're looking forward to doing some entertaining.

It's been kinda hard getting into the holiday mode, with the weather being so warm here (still in the 70s most days), but we're supposed to be in the 40s for T-giving day, so maybe that will help.

Best Wishes and Safe Gorging to everyone!

C'mon over, Free! :cool:

You'd freak if I actually showed up!

I can just imagine...... "Mom & Dad, this is my 50-year-old friend from the internet, and he's going to spend Thanksgiving with us...." :huh:

"Mind if I make a few long distance calls?"

"Your Mom is HOT!"

"Umm....where do you guys keep the plunger?"

etc., etc.

Edited by Free For All

:lol:

"Jon, we're going to have to ask your friend to leave."

"Look, I know he made a pass at Mom and clogged the toilet beyond repair, but he's really a good guy. Give him a chance."

"We're not worried about those little things, it's the TROMBONE! We can't take it!"

BBQ'ing the Bird again this year....going on 20 years now.

The difference for us is that we rub fresh basil and Extra Virgin olive oil along with a generous portion of sea salt and fresh ground pepper into the skin before cooking. Add sliced onion, carrots and celery into the cavity of the turkey for additional flavor.

Adding a cup and a half of water to keep things moist, cover in foil then introduce soaked hickory chips to the coals every so often makes for one mighty fine gravy.

Trust me on this one :excited:

Edited by GoodSpeak

We'll be having dinner with Alison's side of the family. Her grandparents will be there and probably this will be their last Thanksgiving. They are both in very poor health, unfortunately. Afterwards we'll probably head to my dad's place to see my side of the family for a bit.

Zora is indeed recovering well, but she is driving us up the wall. Since she broke her elbow, I think we've had one night where she's slept all the way through the night. In fact, she didn't go to bed tonight until 10am and then got up at midnight. Took me another 30 minutes to get her back to bed and just now I heard her again (it's almost 3am).

I've been getting chunks of about 3 hours of sleep at a time, as has my wife. It's like we have a newborn!!! WTF?!!

C'mon over, Free! :cool:

You'd freak if I actually showed up!

I can just imagine...... "Mom & Dad, this is my 50-year-old friend from the internet, and he's going to spend Thanksgiving with us...." :huh:

"Mind if I make a few long distance calls?"

"Your Mom is HOT!"

"Umm....where do you guys keep the plunger?"

etc., etc.

:rofl:

Zora is indeed recovering well, but she is driving us up the wall. Since she broke her elbow, I think we've had one night where she's slept all the way through the night. In fact, she didn't go to bed tonight until 10am and then got up at midnight. Took me another 30 minutes to get her back to bed and just now I heard her again (it's almost 3am).

I've been getting chunks of about 3 hours of sleep at a time, as has my wife. It's like we have a newborn!!! WTF?!!

My son (about the same age) is doing the same thing, and he insists that I stay in the room until he falls asleep. In his case, he is starting to get afraid of the closet, under the bed, etc. I imagine it is all these free-floating anxieties (as his world keeps expanding and he has trouble making sense of it) sort of coalescing. It is frustrating, but it is only a phase (I keep telling myself).

Anyway, we are going to the south side of Chicago for dinner with the in-laws. My wife and kids stay through the weekend, but I have to work Friday, so I'll come back north. Then we'll meet up again on Sat.