Favorite Trombone Player

cannonball-addict

deceased trombone pWho is your favorite layer?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me this was an easy one. I'm a huge fan of JJ - a class act all round as bone player, arranger and major modern jazz role figure. Time to dig out that lovely Mosaic set..

Melba Liston always struck me as very under-rated. A very fine arranger for the Gillespie big band and a most consistent soloist. She was at a Gillespie Reunion Big Band gig some years ago but by then was already wheel-chair bound; she was able to sit through the gig with the trombone section as a non-player. Sadly she passed away not too long afterwards..

I too voted for Frank Rosolino. He (to me) was the most exciting and dynamic, swinging bopper around. I had the fortune to see Frank and Carl Fontana when they were touring around with that small group. It is a shame that they weren't able to record a proper session. Carl told me that a photo had already been taken which would have been on the cover of the jacket. It showed the two of them wearing cowboy hats...the album was to have been called "The Fastest Bones in the West"

There are countless bootlegs of Frank in club date settings...I am fortunate to have quite a few. He was something else. Too bad he lost it.

My take on JJ (I love him and I have tons of his sides) is that he just didn't have the swinging feel that others did. I don't want to step on anyone's toes by saying that, but it is how I have always felt. He just didn't consistently MOVE me with his playing.

Did he impress me? - yes. Did he move me emotionally? - no.

Since mention has been made of other deceased players who easily could (or should) have been listed, I will add two more.

Eje Thelin

Ake Persson (sp?)

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Frank Rosolino is The Man.  JJ is second in my book.  Rosolino was so good he was frightening.

Actually, he was also just plain frightening.

Sad. While there is certainly no way to defend his final exit, I try to keep in mind that he led a tortured life. He experienced a lot of pain for him to get as low as he did.

Did you know that when he was a younger married man, he discovered his wife after she had committed suicide? And another of his wives who was unable to conceive, insisted that they divorce so that he could marry someone else who could bear his children.

Again, none of this excuses what he did, but it helps me to realize that the cat had paid some heavy dues.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Frank Rosolino is The Man.  JJ is second in my book.  Rosolino was so good he was frightening.

Actually, he was also just plain frightening.

Sad. While there is certainly no way to defend his final exit, I try to keep in mind that he led a tortured life. He experienced a lot of pain for him to get as low as he did.

Did you know that when he was a younger married man, he discovered his wife after she had committed suicide? And another of his wives who was unable to conceive, insisted that they divorce so that he could marry someone else who could bear his children.

Again, none of this excuses what he did, but it helps me to realize that the cat had paid some heavy dues.

I saw Frank and Conti Candoli in Los Angeles in the early 70's. It was obvious that his music made him happy. There was great communication between the players, and such joy. What a shock to hear how it ended. A great loss for jazz.