concord buys prestige et al

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

what will happen. is this bad

to quote:::

With the completion of the deal, Fantasy's releases, previously distributed independently, will move to Universal, which started handling Concord product this year.

As long as this involves only distribution, not the catalogue, it might be positive, as the CDs are more easily accessible - Universal's distribution is worldwide.

Don't know how this will affect ZYX' European distribution deal with Fantasy. Concord is currently handled in Europe by even another distributor - all these deals will have to be re-negotiated before they run out.

I think this is seriously bad news. Universal is not a friend of the jazz lover.

We have all relied on the constant availability of the OJC series and the various great boxed sets, and made BN and Japanese CDs a higher priority. I would suggest that, if there are any OJCs that you have been meaning to get "one day, but there's no rush", you make plans to order them as soon as you can.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that I'm right.

• 1 year later...

Concord ended the Fantasy licensing agrrement with Ace (for the UK), just like they did with ZYX/Mikulski (for continental Europe). It doesn't mean the albums are going OOP, as the Freak Emporium website suggests.

Edited by Claude

Concord ended the Fantasy licensing agrrement with Ace (for the UK), just like they did with ZYX/Mikulski (for continental Europe). It doesn't mean the albums are going OOP, as the Freak Emporium website suggests.

Well, I think the Ace- and ZYX/Mikulski-issued CDs with Fantasy-owned material are (officially) OOP from the date the licensing agreement ended, but that doesn't mean they're no longer available.

The same thing happened when Ace's license to release Excello blues/R&B material expired for a short while a few years ago, they immediately stopped issuing/supplying those CDs but the discs were still widely available.

For Germany, Universal already announced to take over the catalgue into their offering but theý have not yet announce when they will officially supply the older material but all new Concord records are distributed by them already.

wird der sehr viel umfangreichere Back-Katalog der Concord Music Group (der u.a. Aufnahmen der Labels Prestige, Pablo, Milestone, Fantasy, Riverside, Stax und Stretch enthält) erst 2006 präsentiert werden. In letzten Woche stellten wir schon einige der interessantesten kommenden Neuerscheinungen und Reissues kurz vor, diese Woche präsentieren wir weitere.

reads as: we will be presenting the records of the said labels in 2006....so right now, no reason to worry. (from their website www.jazzecho.de)

cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe