Any RVG Suggestions for 2005?

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to see OBLIQUE be RVG'd!

AND I want to cast my vote in along with Wes and Tony: more RVGs from the 1939 to 1953 era or so. Art Hodes would be great. A Bechet or three. Maybe some of the boogie piano sessions. . . . I know there seems to be little support from the label for this stuff because they don't think it sells. . . . But man enough hardbop and beyond stuff! B-)

Yeah, OBLIQUE would be a really great "sleeper" RVG. It's a far, far stronger session than the more known HAPPENINGS, IMHO, and you gotta figure it would sell some on Herbie's name alone. TOTAL ECLIPSE would be good too, selfishly, but I'd vote for OBLIQUE so more people could hear it, it's way up there with Bobby's best.

Soul Stream, I like your organ listing - but remember the Ike Quebec 45 sessions I mentioned are also laden with soulful B-3 playing!

Where the hell is Sonny Clark - LEAPIN' AND LOPIN'? PRIME RVG candidate

Yes, yes, a million times YES!!!

Actually, DrJ, all your suggestions were were excellent, but that's been a hobbyhorse of mine for years now. Also, I would suggest Davis Cup and J. R. Montrose.

Edited by BruceH

Hi Kevin,

Good Lord, we just gotta have "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" on RVG!!!!! These might be the most "classic" of all Blue Note titles that haven't been RVG's yet (here in the U.S.). Please pass along a good word to Michael on these!

Also, I'm guessing that since "Love Call" was rendered OOP by Blue Note, they have plans to reintroduce it as an RVG sometime soon? I hope so...

Cheers,

Shane

Anything from this page.

Yum... :wub:

Hey,

I just noticed that website page is missing the cover for BLP 5051 (I think it's Gigi Gryce, Vol. 3). He's got everything else on there, and it's a great website for making jewel case inserts!

Would love to see the Urbie Green and Best From the West Vols. 1 & 2 10" BNs make it out on CD someday... Not holding my breath on that, though!

Cheers,

Shane

I want to cast my vote in along with Wes and Tony:  more RVGs from the 1939 to 1953 era or so.  Art Hodes would be great.  A Bechet or three.  Maybe some of the boogie piano sessions. . . . I know there seems to be little support from the label for this stuff because they don't think it sells. . . . But man enough hardbop and beyond stuff!  B-)

I dig this very early stuff as well. Love the 10' series CDs from a few years back. I guess all in all I'd rather see these titles than reissue of albums that have readily been available on CD in the last few years. As seems to be the case with so much BN reissue product now.

Edited by Soul Stream

It would be nice to see Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland 'Golden Eight' out on CD but I guess that would be more likely as a Conn.

'Leapin and Lopin' is certainly absolute prime material for the next RVG batch. Can't believe it's been overlooked so far. When the French DMM LPs came out back in the mid-80s, this was one of the first that was issued.

Kenny Drew 'Undercurrent' would also get my big thumbs up.

An maybe Johnny Coles 'Little Johnny C' is due for resurrection as an RVG?

etherbored Posted on Dec 1 2004, 04:52 PM

kevin -

the japanese RVG of leapin' and lopin' is oh-so-choice... 

makes all other pressings of it obsolete.

cheers,

-e-

It IS very nice - I have the JRVG, and agree it sounds excellent. BUT with that one you miss out on a couple of really nice alternate takes - maybe not the biggest deal in the world, but with music at this exhalted level, I'd like to replace both the JRVG and my old McMaster American issue with a definitive US RVG.

I agree MATADOR would be a nice one too, as would TALKIN' ABOUT...

What about a surprise entry of Wayne Shorter's SOOTHSAYER (I think reissued around the same time as MATADOR, and in equally atrocious sound)?

Edited by DrJ

Hi Kevin,

Good Lord, we just gotta have "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" on RVG!!!!! These might be the most "classic" of all Blue Note titles that haven't been RVG's yet (here in the U.S.). Please pass along a good word to Michael on these!

Also, I'm guessing that since "Love Call" was rendered OOP by Blue Note, they have plans to reintroduce it as an RVG sometime soon? I hope so...

Cheers,

Shane

Excellent suggestions

Sorry I offended you with my suggestion, etherbored. In your tally you must be including expensive imports in your "three issues" comment. There's exactly ONE version of this on the market in the US, the only other American release I'm aware of on CD, as part of the Mosaic box, is LONG gone.

While in the past I bought up some Japanese imports (those not available in the US) I've gradually been trading them in as stuff becomes available in comparable remastering technology here.

In fact, I stopped buying Japanese imports over a year ago, as my A/B tests upon getting American equivalents using similar technology (24 bit etc) have almost all revealed either that the available American issue sounds better or it's a coin toss, and the American issues are way cheaper.

I think the frenzy over the supposed across the board superiority of Japanese CD issues is one of the biggest pieces of hype in collectors' circles.

With that in mind: the current TALKIN' ABOUT in the US is a Ron McMaster job. I don't much like his work and greatly prefer the sound of RVGs. Plus TALKIN' ABOUT is a stone classic album, a summit conference among three masters at the peak of their game.

Thus the request.

BTW, the RVG series is not by any stretch a line to issue only stuff that isn't readily in print in the U.S. - you must want the Connoisseur series thread, down two doors to the left. Many of the RVGs have been of material that was already readily available in the US in inferior remastering.

Anyway, I'll try and get your approval ahead of time before I make any future suggestions, hadn't known it was required.

Edited by DrJ