My wish list (from the "Catching up with Tom Evered" thread at All About Jazz):

Connoisseur: Ike Quebec/Singles Sessions 2CD

RVG:

Hank Mobley: Workout/Another Workout/Dippin'/A Caddy for Daddy

Freddie Hubbard: Here to Stay

Lee Morgan: Cornbread/The Gigolo

Thad Jones: Detroit-NY Junction/Magnificent/Vol. 3

Lou Donaldson: Alligator Bogaloo

Jimmy Smith 2CD:A Date with JS/JS at the Organ (or maybe as a couple of Conns instead)

Jimmy Smith and LD

Stanley Turrentine: That's where it's at

booker ervin-back from the gig

jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger

The Booker date is very likely going to be in the next batch of Conns, probably Oct. of 2005 (cuz it very nearly was in this last batch, but there weren't funds available for two new covers, and "Dance With Death" got the nod). Personally, I'll be shocked if "Back From The Gig" isn't in the next batch of Conns.

The Jeremy Steig is either Rare Groove material (I'm just guessing, cuz I've never heard it - short of the samples the Beastie Boys have used), or more likely, something BN would only release though Water. Never gonna be an RVG, and probably not a Conn either.

Everyone remember tom@bluenote from the old BNBB? As sjarrell mentioned, he is currently posting over on the All About Jazz BB.

Here's his list of upcoming releases including March RVGs (this was posted on 8/31):

+++

In January we will issues five DVDs of material previously available on VHS and/or Laserdisc:

Lena Horne - An Evening With Lena Horne

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions

Power of Three - Michel Petrucciani, Jim Hall and Wayne Shorter

John Scofield - Live Three Ways, w/ Dr. John, Don Pullen, Joe Lovano three different groups

The Manhattan Project - Michel Petrucciani, Wayne Shorter, Stanley Clarke

and Rachelle Ferrell.

Also in January we will ship a hot new bebop/ Bird covers disc from the Italian

saxophonist Stefano Battista, featuring Kenny Barron.

Also...in March the next batch of RVGs

Blakey - A Night In Tunisia

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C

Pete LaRoca - Basra

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love

Sonny Clark - Dial S For Sonny

Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer

Horace Silver - And The Jazz Messengers

Also that month we will release a sampler of Rudy's favorite tunes from the RVG series, combined with a DVD featuring a wonderful interview with Rudy mentioned in a posting from a few months ago.

We just got advance copies of Jason Moran and Bandwagon's new disc "Same Mother", featuring almost all blues tunes with guest guitarist Marvin Sewell. An amazing group and wonderful recording.

Anyway, I'll try and get your approval ahead of time before I make any future suggestions, hadn't known it was required.

...that's more like it. :mellow:

seriously though, my angle was more along the lines of lobbying for a previously- unissued-on-disc title.

Also in January we will ship a hot new bebop/ Bird covers disc from the Italian saxophonist Stefano Battista, featuring Kenny Barron.

an *excellent* session. picked it up in vienna last month + it smokes.

-e-

There have been several Blakeys and Horace Silvers in the RVG series. Several Hubbards, Joe Hendersons, and Wayne Shorters too.

Yeah, how 'bout something different this time? Something like a Lou Donaldson, a Baby Face Wilette, an Art Hodes, a George Braith, or an Ike Quebec.

There have been several Blakeys and Horace Silvers in the RVG series.

Thing is though, Indestructible, Buhaina's Delight and Free For All are really really good. :)

But I know what you mean. I passed on upgrading several Dexters and Hendersons that came out last summer to buy stuff I hadn't heard instead.

But I'm pretty excited about the 1st round of RVGs in March, as Brooks, Quebec, Coles, and La Roca aren't the same old same old. I was "too young" to get True Blue the last time around, and though I have a burn of Basra, notes and the possibility of improved sound are welcome.

my point *exactly*!

same ol, same ol...

the primary challenge is that EMI licenses the RVG series masters from toshiba and therefore our choices are limited to titles previously isssued in japan, which are the tried and true.

:rsmile:

Not true. In fact, the first 50 or so from the US RVG series were actually remastered by Rudy twice. Once for Japan and then again for the US. In fact, RVG may have had to remaster the first US batch twice. The first time, he folded the stereo down too much and Cuscuna had him widen it before release.

It was only during the batch of US RVGs where they found some old metal masters i.e. Monk that they decided to merge the remastering efforts. I would say that now, the US decisions may actually be being picked up by Japan.

Later,

Kevin

There have been several Blakeys and Horace Silvers in the RVG series. Several Hubbards, Joe Hendersons, and Wayne Shorters too.

Yeah, how 'bout something different this time? Something like a Lou Donaldson, a Baby Face Wilette, an Art Hodes, a George Braith, or an Ike Quebec.

There is an Ike Quebec. See above, a few posts before yours.

Looks like a nice batch, BTW. I'm liking the inclusion of the Quebec (first RVG), Brooks (ditto), and the LaRoca date I've heard rave reviews about. Always nice to see a Mobley title in there as well, especially as it's one I don't have.

I believe the original purpose of the RVG series was to get the best selling catalog items remastered and out in the stores again. I doubt we'll see too many obscure titles like a Vick or a Braith. That's what the Connoisseur series is for. Blakeys and Silvers are their bread and buttah. I say, bring 'em on! Tokyo Blues, Baby!

you'd be suprised at how lackluster that vick date is, IMHO (hold your rotten tomatos + bananas)....

Gotta disagree with ya there, my friend! As greeeeazy as it gets to these ears! Especially with the Holy Trinity of Greeeeaze: Green-Patton-Dixon! Yeah, we need MUCH more RVGs from these guys!!! :tup

But I’m not throwin’ anything your way! Everyone’s got their own preferences!